From the DJ

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
From the DJ
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I wanted to say hello to all the Utada fans who I think are the most loyal I've ever met & seen.

So I wanted to express a few things, I remixed "Dirty Desire" which I didn't start playing in my set until the Seattle show because I didn't want to repeat songs in Utada's set. I asked permission and it was granted. This was a very different experience for me as I'm a club/house DJ but when asked to be the opener for a star like Utada I wasn't going to pass on the opportunity.

Now the toughest challenge was song selection as I've never played for such a diverse crowd. I wish I could of played more Utada remixes but again I couldn't so I stuck with pop/top 40 type stuff. If I knew about this site before the tour I would of surveyed it..

All in all the Utada staff and band memebers were the most talanted and professional people I ever worked with.

please make any suggestions in the type of music or certain songs you would want to hear at her shows...

Thanks to all of you and much respect
Regards,
MR.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 7:37
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: From the DJ
guest_Unregistered
Hey, I was at the NYC show. I thought you were great! But then again I'm a huge fan of pop/top 40 so I guess I can't really speak for everyone. I especially liked the Gaga, Ke$ha, and Britney songs you played.

I guess my suggestion would be to play songs that are REALLY famous, since it's a diverse crowd and you're more likely to get them excited about the music that way. Even if the song is a little older, like a remix of Beyonce's "Halo" or something.

By the way, I think your remix of Dirty Desire is the best on the remixes album! I bought it immediately.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 8:19
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Thanks Alex, I thought about playing my remixes of Beyonce but who knows, again it was challenging. I want to connect with her crowd as I think her fans are loyal & energized. You're never going to please everyone so I'll do my homework and keep surveying..
MR.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 8:47
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Hello Mr. Mike Rizzo!
I was at the Hawaii show with my husband & his friend. My husband emailed you a few days after the show. I actually saw you arrive & introduce yourself to Pipeline's staff. I was so excited, I literally said "hey, thats Mike Rizzo!" out loud.
In my opinion, you did great! I understand that the crowd was difficult to work with because of its diversity. There were also a lot of people who flew in from Japan. I think they are more reserved and quiet. Maybe if you're put in this situation again, you can mix up a wide variety of music.
Although I was disappointed there weren't any Utada mixes on your set, I enjoyed the performance.
I love the remix of "Dirty Desire". & I hope you will continue to work with Utada.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 8:49
  •  SimChaoU
      SimChaoU
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I'm so disappointed that I wasn't able to get tickets... They sold out too quickly. Sounds like it's a great show.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:17
  •  saikami
      saikami
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19/F/Maine
Hello!

I was at the Boston show. :) The diversity of the crowd really must have made it tough to play for, and I think it's great that you've come to get feedback! Very professional.

Anyway, my suggestion would be is to really mix it up, a good amount of Utada fans are also gamers (but not all of them), so maybe music from other games, or just some jpop in general, but also keeping a good balance with the pop/top 40 you played, too.

Hope I helped!

Saikami
Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:19
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Mike Rizzo!!!

I was at the NYC show and I enjoyed your mix. The first song was a bit unknown to practically everybody there. The second song was a bit more known, just didn't have enough power behind it. After that it went uphill. I was part of that group that tried to get everybody hyped up. My friend who isn't on this site really enjoyed your set.

To quote him, "Mike Rizzo was mad beast."

Your set for the most part was good. Might I suggest adding in a bit of Trey Songz? That probably would have really gotten people going. I know it's hard when you have a diverse group like that. If I may even make a few Asian artist suggestions as well?

You can hit me up about that later, I guess. All in all, I enjoyed your section. I hope to see you again, as well.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:21
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Wow!!! I'm surprised and happy you joined this site. I was at the LA show. I was the guy about 5th from the front screaming and such. Major props to you. Yes being in such a deserve crowd must have been difficult. But I glad you stood your ground and did the damn thing. I loved Gaga and Kanye so it was great hearing. Utada Runs the Town Tonight!!! Lol
Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:39
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Thank you so much for the kind words and replies, all I can say is better late than never, If I would of known about this site I would of implemented some of the suggested songs, I would also want to incorporate some popular Japaenese songs.

FYI- first song in my set won a grammy for best dance remixed song of 2009...

I put together my play list from Fillmore in NYC

Utada Tour Set
02/08/10 NYC-Fillmore
Mike Rizzo

1-David Guetta ft Kelly Roland-When love takes over
2-Britney-3
3-Sean Paul-So Fine
4-Pitbull-I know you want me
5-Kid Cudi-Day N Nite
6-Pussycat Dolls-I hate this part
7-Run this town
8-Ke$ha-Tik Tok
9-Lady GaGa-Paparazzi
10-DJ Felli-Feel it
11-LMFAO-Mash Up
12-Chris Willis-Love is gone-Mash up mix
13-Black eyed peas-I gotta feeling
14-Utada-Dirty Desire-Mike Rizzo Remix
Posted on: 2010/2/11 9:41
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Lol, I personally knew what it was, but most of the people around seemed kind of clueless. That was including my friend standing next to me. (which is kind of sad because I barely listen to the radio anymore, xD.)

Thanks for the set list, btw. I couldn't remember ALL of the songs you played.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 10:03
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>