Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
   This is The One is the essence of American Pop.

Bottom    Previous Topic    Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop.
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

jesuislm wrote:
utada kept saying "this is mainstream" and she was completely and totally correct. it was the perfect american cd; it even had the one lame song that had to poison it all, like every american pop cd has one of (coughautomaticparttwocough).

i believe, however, that even with promotion, the cd may have gotten one song on the radio, but it wouldn't have been a "hit" and the cd wouldn't have gone platinum, ever. not simply because she's asian (as said as that is) but because she isn't flashy enough (thank god in my book). there's no dancing, there's no walking around in a plastic bubble suit (lady gaga), there's no "i'm a total diva" attitude.

utada is a professional, and sadly, there's not to much of that in pop music today.

for the record, on and on, after listening to it on and on, is extremely radio friendly. while dirty desire has the catch phrase "dirty desire," i find myself singing the lyrics "intoxicated, emancipated, unapologetic" to everyone, even my two year old brother.

it's like "can you keep a secret." it just won't go away.

I thought that too but it still sounds too generic.Dirty Desire can distinguish Utada more that On and On.And there are plenty of acts that don't call for dancing in videos.In fact if she was to have done MCML with a styling of possibly,Sakura DROPS then people would total get into the whole asian thing.People seem to lend toward the familiar,if it calls for a stereotype then I'd have to say "Hell,I did this entire album...can do much damage if I run with a stereotype for just one video".But who the hell could direct it.
Posted on: 2009/7/28 1:00
Subject Poster Date
     Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. jesuislm 2009/7/28 0:46
       Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. LoBFCanti 2009/7/28 1:00
         Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. Pips_Paradise 2009/7/28 4:59
     Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. JimJam 2009/7/28 11:02
       Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. ~Billy<3'sHikki~ 2009/7/28 11:13
         Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. JimJam 2009/7/28 11:45
         Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. Ryu-Sakura 2009/7/28 11:47
         Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. sswx2187 2009/7/28 11:48
       Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. LoBFCanti 2009/7/28 13:07
         Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. bobo444 2009/7/28 16:48
     Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. jesuislm 2009/7/28 11:49
       Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. sswx2187 2009/7/28 11:54
     Re: This is The One is the essence of American Pop. jesuislm 2009/7/28 11:58
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic