Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Lord Snow
      Lord Snow
Some computer help?
Administrator
A/S/L
I know the computer literate among you are probably rather tired of hearing some other computer illiterate noob beg for help after their comp just totally (censored)s up....but help! >.<

My comp seems to be having some sort of problem with a virus of some sort...first indication of this problem was a bit earlier tonight when a Norton AV window popped up telling me that i had some sort of virus, dont remember the name. I tried to open Norton AV but I kept getting an error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

And it says that with any program that I try to open. I can't really follow the instructions that Symantec site gave me cause I can't turn off system restore...I get the same error window when I try to open up the properties of My Computer.

I've used my "absolutely brilliant" deductive skills to figure out that it has more to do with trying to open .exe files than anything else as I was able to open up my mozilla by opening a saved webpage I had.

Can anyone help me? I'd rather not reformat yet again and lose all the files that I've collected since the last time I had to reformat but I guess i'll do it if I have to...

Thanks.
Posted on: 2004/8/4 18:44
Re: Some computer help?
Administrator
A/S/L
hmm ... does your IE work at all???

if it does u might want to try running a online virusscan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

but yeah ... sounds like there might be a process running in the background that seems to be corrupting everthing ... u might want to try ctrl+alt+del and look at the processes list... and terminiate all the ones that arent usually there that seem kind of suspicious...

... hmm... if i could chat with you on msn or irc it would be easier to talk u thru this...

but basically, theres probably something not supposed to be running, u need to terminate it, then remove it (like run a virus scan and/or spyware scan)

Twitter: @UtadaNet
Posted on: 2004/8/4 23:35
  •  Gokie
      Gokie
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Depending on your AV software, you might be able to create a boot-up floppy disk, and scan the HDD from there, bypassing Windows (and hopefully the virii that's causing the problems)...

~KS
Posted on: 2004/8/5 9:39
  •  Sarin
      Sarin
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
First you should try to update your norton if necessary. Then goto "safe mode" and see if the problem still exists. Afterwards run norton and search for virii. Ontop of this you might wanna run a search for spyware while your in there. If the problem still exists in safe mode though you should probably try to run a google search for other sources of information. Failing this you can still reformat the damn thing.
Posted on: 2004/8/8 2:26
  •  Lord Snow
      Lord Snow
Administrator
A/S/L
Haha, thanks for the help guys but I've never been one to be too patient.

I just ended up reformatting a day later so my comp is virus free (hooray!) but rather empty :( XD
Posted on: 2004/8/8 7:14
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
-_-; poor snow, you should have use a bootable cd of an anti-virii program and scan it without booting up in winxp and you will be able to save your comp.

by the way do you computer have a 2nd hard disk or a 2nd partition?. that will help if your OS had problem booting up or virii attack. you keep all your stuff on the extra hard drive, program and OS on the main drive.

if you reformat the comp, you won't lose everything
Posted on: 2004/8/8 20:04
  •  Lord Snow
      Lord Snow
Administrator
A/S/L
Eh, whateva.

My computer IS partitioned but whenever I have to reformat, I tend to favor a clean wipe and starting over from scratch XD

Didn't lose too much that was imoprtant...just some movies that I had forgotten to watch until I started formatting >.< XD
Posted on: 2004/8/10 17:26
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic