Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...13>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Music Genres
guest_Unregistered
How do you feel about people that categorize music into genres?
Are you indifferent, annoyed or delighted?

Would music as a whole be better off if no one actively categorized music into genres? Or is categorizing music into genres a necessity?

Discuss.
Posted on: 2007/12/14 19:24
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Re: Music Genres
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
well for me i think genres are for the better cuz it would be boring if there is just one type of music in this big world don't u guys think so? i'm glade there is genres: hip-hop, pop, rock, R&B, Jazz, Heavy Metal etc.

well thats my opinion
Posted on: 2007/12/15 14:00
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I dunno.

It bothers me when people make assumptions about artists just because that artist works in a certain genre.
Posted on: 2007/12/15 14:13
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
I think the assumptions people make are more a product of record companies and big radio. Like that thing...that other guy...said. About clearwater and the other big companies creating national playlists.
Posted on: 2007/12/15 15:40
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
for me, if you like music then you love any sounds... that's the beauty of music... it just relates to you... i don't believe in genres that sucks... i'm open to any music coz it is music...
Posted on: 2007/12/16 18:20
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
its fine with me.

i think genres help in identifying and categorizing artists. it helps the music industry kind of be systematic. like if you want to search a certain artist you got to first know what genre they belong. it helps alot for listeners to relate to an artist if they somehow know they belong to the same genre of music they are use to listen too.

i think a problem only arises when an artist is misinterpreted or mislabelled. like an artist supposedly belong to that genre but really belongs to another. the listeners are confused, w/c doesn't help the artis at all.

but most artist nowadays like our dear Hikaru-san don't quite fit in a single genre. we got nowadays are artist that mixes sounds form alot of genres which can be quite confusing at times. but altogether creates a more freedom in the song writing process.

Genres are formed to help us identify an artist and don't stop us from listening to them coz they don't belong to the medium that we listen to. heck you can't put a good song down. listen to what you feel is good music.
Posted on: 2007/12/16 21:32
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
music is music... whatever genres it is... i'm open with any kind
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:31
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered