Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Beautiful World depicts the story of...two gay men?!

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Re: Beautiful World depicts the story of...two gay men?!
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Quote:

hrabbit wrote:
You know I wondered the exact same thing. Well a lot of her songs use "boku" instead of "atashi" (isnt it "watashi"?) I think its just a rhythm thing personally. But who knows with hikki

Japanese has different "respect" levels, and you use different word depending on who you are talking to. For the word "I" you have a couple words you can use.

All the following words me I, or refer to the speaker.

ore-used by men, it shows the listener no respect at all, its not disrespect, it just doesn't give the listener respect.

boku-a humble word used mostly by men. Its for when your level is higher than another, but boku lowers the speakers level to the listener. So the listeners feels respected.

atashi-a word used by females with friends and such. I think this is exclusively used by women (and maybe okama...)

watashi-a respectful word, that most would use when not sure of the level of the listener, but want to be polite.

watakushi-I think this word is a more formal version on boku. Mainly used by men...

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2007/12/16 21:51
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
yea there way of meaning is different
Posted on: 2007/12/16 22:32
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15/ F/ Singapore
Quote:

aeryn_nerys wrote:
Quote:

sakurablooms13 wrote:
And that sounds homosexual or that it refers to it How???...
Well it can also be said like this translated:
''Born in a war of opposite attraction''
Being in a relationship with the opposite attraction can be difficult,in every relationship their are problems.
I'm just saying...

tell you what, fit that explanation in with the rest of the song.

in the first verse "i was searching for my lenore, in the words of mr. edgar allan poe." the main character in "the Raven" who is searching for lenore is a guy (so it can't refer to homosexuality in this way." I suppose "lenore" in kremlin dusk refers to "lover" more than girlfriend or boyfriend. so it would make sense during the born in the war of opposite attraction part. like "all along i was search for my lover." we have no idea at this point who the lover is

i think the born in a war of opposite attraction part of the song means that
1. opposites attract, even when you are talking about non-human beings like magnets
2. it isn't or is it a natural conception: i think it questions if the opposite attraction of all things is a natural concept, like a way of life. For example, boy to girls etcetc.
3. torn by the arms in opposite directions: it probably refers to homosexuality. the the character in the song (lets say that it's a she) is attracted to, well...women. but she is torn between wanting to fufill her own desires and wanting to go with how life is meant to be, in her case: she is supposed to like guys but she like girls and she wants to continue being this way, but she wants to be like everyone else etc. her friends who are supposedly "straight".
4.it isn't or is it a modernist reaction: don't have a definative meaning of modernist reaction but according to the chinese translation ,it means that it is something like a trend that is likely to go away soon.

so the whole part in prose would be:
born into a world where opposites attraction is correct,
is opposite attraction actually a natural thing?
torn between wanting to like girls and being like everyone else,
is this a phase that will go away?

but again everyone has a different interpretation so the sakurabloom13: it does allude to homosexuality if you looks that it this way, but there are many other ways of interpreting it.

my theory is that this song is written from a teenager's point of view, as teenagers often have crushes on the same sex. (or sometimes, i don't know) and this song tells of one teenager going through this phase of liking another person of the same sex, even though they know that its not right,
and his or her confused feelings about it.

this was one long reply
Posted on: 2007/12/16 23:08
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
excellent interpretation Erith.
Posted on: 2007/12/16 23:17
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
well said erith, your argument is really strong. still i'm having doubts about it. i wonder what Hikaru-san will say when she read this thread. she should explain this song or all of her song to her fans. coz some songs of her like Kremlin Dusk really needs her explanation coz they're so deep.

btw why is it called Kremlin Dusk again? i'm too lazy to think eheeh
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:07
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Many of the song's lyrics draw from literature, especially Edgar Allan Poe's poem The Raven. The first few stanzas even partially parallel the poem. if i run into more info i will share it.
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:18
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
here's an interesting fan-fiction using the lyrics to "kremlin-dusk" and the characters from........i think .......Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

http://community.livejournal.com/vincentxtifa/12476.html
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:24
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
and one more, here's a small quote from one of the posters.

"It makes great use of Edgar Allan Poe's metaphors and such to express a somewhat different idea. Allusions to Edgar Allen Poe that really jump out are "Now I'm sober and nevermore/Will the Raven come to bother me at home." "The Raven" is basically about a man who was sitting, thinking about Lenore, a dead woman who he loved, when the raven taps on his door. When he gets up to open the door and no one is there, he mutters Lenore's name and it echoes (though I'm not sure if the Raven was shouting back Lenore, or if it was just an echo). Then, throughout the poem, the man talks to the raven, which was perched on the bust above his door, only to receive the same repetitive response, "Nevermore!" A less obvious allusion that I noticed was, "I am a natural entertainer,/Aren't we all holding pieces of dying ember?" And to quote "The Raven," "Each dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor." In "The Raven," the dying embers are presented as what once was, memories of his lost (dead) love, Lenore (which is the name Poe actually uses). I think the door and window might be an allusion, too, but that requires more thinking."

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858511326
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:29
  •  lumad
      lumad
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26, M, Philippines
yep and even poe's work are very deep especially his poems. so its pretty hard to have a concrete meaning in that song. only Hikaru-san can arrive a a definitive conclusion for Kremlin Dusk. but its good to know what others think about this song. we can always have a healthy discussion about this.

i got a copy of poe's stories and poems. and most of his works really amazes me. especially the story entitled 'the pit and the pendulum'.
Posted on: 2007/12/17 0:40
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15/ F/ Singapore
Quote:

lumad wrote:
well said erith, your argument is really strong. still i'm having doubts about it. i wonder what Hikaru-san will say when she read this thread. she should explain this song or all of her song to her fans. coz some songs of her like Kremlin Dusk really needs her explanation coz they're so deep.

btw why is it called Kremlin Dusk again? i'm too lazy to think eheeh

thanks, i was never really good at interpreting the literature texts set by my school, and your comment gave me a pleasant surprise.

A kremlin is the citadel area of a Russian city. according to my history textbook a citadel is something like a safe place in the middle of a city. so this song probably talks of the things that happen during the citadel dusk (not sure if my usage of the word is correct).

i'm starting to suspect that kremlin dusk tells of story of two people. one tells the story of an entertainer and one of a teenager and the two stories are interweaved. i'll look into the lyrics again another day and give you an interprtation of the whole song
Posted on: 2007/12/17 2:38
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>