Utada Net.com Forum Index
   Other Music
  Which Japanese artist do you think can make an impact in the U.S.?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: Which Japanese artist do you think can make an impact in the U.S.?
guest_Unregistered
Mind if I ask, but, who's Crystal Kay?

Does she release any music videos?
Posted on: 2008/1/3 18:53
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
i saw her she's okay...

crystal kay, i mean...
Posted on: 2008/1/3 19:13
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Koda Kumi's english vocals are horrible for US marketing.Namie
and Ayu can pull of the english but Ayu would do wonders in club circuit rather than mainstream.Namie would stand out but the idea of Hip-"pop" still confuses americans.As well as lyrics with actually meaning,Koda and Namie have assloads of puns in their songs.Most ppl don't even know that the SPEED STAR is about sex!All japanese run heavy on metaphors and that my take away catchy-ness mainstream often serves.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 1:15
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Koda failed here back in 2001-2002 already.On a interview around her BEST 2nd Session release,they stated that her english version of Trust your love reached #1 on club charts.She was so shocked and said "WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?".I still have yet to see any source to date that it actually got that big.Furthermore,She herself and numbers of other sources state her attempt at the US market it failed hopelessly.And you want to know why Jade of sweetbox did the US songs for Final Fantasy X-2?Because avex had said that her accent was to strong to be convincing as a singing voice for Yuna in the states.Only reason we have Koda sung english version of those song is because she want to do it anyway and used them for b-sides.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 1:26
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Koda's English is bad...xD Ever heard her song 'Lies'? When she tries to pronounce 'bad boy', it sounds like 'butt boy'. o_O

You're special, you're my butt boy! xD

Ayumi Hamasaki can speak English pretty well. =D I heard her talk in English during an interview with CNN International. And Namie's English is pretty decent, from what I heard on her songs. xD [I really enjoy listening to Namie.]
Posted on: 2008/1/5 20:25
  •  vietncamboboi
      vietncamboboi
User on Probation
A/S/L ?/M/CA
only utada-chan can make an impact in the U.S. kuz she is well known ^^ *peace*

Posted on: 2008/1/11 17:17
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Quote:

The_Pirate_King_Atomsk wrote:
Koda failed here back in 2001-2002 already.On a interview around her BEST 2nd Session release,they stated that her english version of Trust your love reached #1 on club charts.She was so shocked and said "WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?".I still have yet to see any source to date that it actually got that big.Furthermore,She herself and numbers of other sources state her attempt at the US market it failed hopelessly.And you want to know why Jade of sweetbox did the US songs for Final Fantasy X-2?Because avex had said that her accent was to strong to be convincing as a singing voice for Yuna in the states.Only reason we have Koda sung english version of those song is because she want to do it anyway and used them for b-sides.

I voted for koda, because of my 3 options. I think all 3 would fail in the american market, utada technically did and she is fluent... I think that its hard for anyone from a different country to make an impact in america (save british groups). But yea as of now asian in music = major fail. I don't know why america is so closed minded? Can't even watch a subbed version of an asian movie (the ring and the grudge are perfect examples), they need to have it re-made (poorly!!!!!!!!!!) with white actors to feel comfortable watching it. I heard one guy on a forum say more than one asian doctor on a show and the audience gets un-easy...

Well anyways I feel no asian artist can get mainstream attention right now. Its a shame too, missing out on great music. A group called halcali is trying to get a european deal (to release their album in europe) , I hope they get it, but I know it would be twice as hard here in america.

Anyways I did not know koda tried to make it in america, lol. Maybe I should pay more attention to j-pop artists and their "business", lol.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2008/1/17 13:15
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Taiyou wrote:
Koda's English is bad...xD Ever heard her song 'Lies'? When she tries to pronounce 'bad boy', it sounds like 'butt boy'. o_O

You're special, you're my butt boy! xD

Ayumi Hamasaki can speak English pretty well. =D I heard her talk in English during an interview with CNN International. And Namie's English is pretty decent, from what I heard on her songs. xD [I really enjoy listening to Namie.]

Lol,butt boy!!!! And which Namie???
Posted on: 2008/1/17 13:38
  •  jigenbakuda
      jigenbakuda
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/M/Jacksonville FL
Namie Amuro oh course, the j-pop queen before ayu-chan ripped it from her and broke her pretty little records...

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
Posted on: 2008/1/17 14:02
  •  vietncamboboi
      vietncamboboi
User on Probation
A/S/L ?/M/CA
anybody, as long as they can speak english like utada-chan ^^ lolz *bang*

Posted on: 2008/1/17 17:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>