1234...12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  LethalAnesthetic
      LethalAnesthetic
You know what really grinds my gears? xD
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19/M/Georgia (U.S.A.)
When people ask the question "Why do you listen to J-pop if you don't understand Japanese?". Since when have lyrics been of utmost importance in music?

Discuss: your opinion

"Take a chance in the headwind and fly."
Posted on: 2008/3/5 13:16
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: You know what really grinds my gears? xD
guest_Unregistered
I get that all the time over here. At work they look at me as if I'm mad and ask "why?" Some of my colleagues have listened to a few of my Hikki tracks, some think think she's rubbish a couple think she's all right. One lad who had his own band said she was good and it didn't matter what she sang, a note was a note whatever the language.

Maybe they just aren't used to hearing japanese, I've watched so many japanese films I'm used to it. I must confess I quite like listening to Japanese being sung, don't know why, just do. I have to admit when I listen to Hikki's music I sometimes feel guilty that I'm enjoying it on a superficial level. After all the time and effort she spends writing the lyrics and I don't understand what she is saying!

I've listened to plenty of classical in my time so I guess I can appreciate the musical aspect of her work without fully understanding it. She combines being a musical genius with a phenomenal singing voice, although one colleague described her as screeching! I guess people aren't willing to try something different and bizarrely object to others who are.
Posted on: 2008/3/5 15:49
  •  LethalAnesthetic
      LethalAnesthetic
Hikki Fanatic
lol yea, I mean most of the lyrics in popular American music today are poorly written or aren't very deep or meaningful. Which is actually why i started listening to Japanese music, yea Hikki does have an amazing voice and her songs have good beats to them. But I do usually look up the translated lyrics so I know what the song is about at least.

Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:08
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I do read the translations I was just meaning I did not get the full experience as I listened to the songs. I have .:Hikki:. to thank for the fact that I've got all the translations printed out for when I feel the need to follow along.
Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:18
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/USA
i HATE when people ask me that. I plainly tell them, "Thats what the internet is for" X3
Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:47
  •  LethalAnesthetic
      LethalAnesthetic
Hikki Fanatic
lol. what an original answer xD

Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:52
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/USA
lol, thanks X3
Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:53
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
My friends usually see me as a weird person when they're seeing me listening to japanese music. And they really wonder why do I like this kind of music, yet, I don't understand the whole thing. When they're asking me those, I just simply say, "It's because, this is what my heart desires, I love hearing it and you have nothing to do with it. You can't push me to a thing that doesn't suit my personality. Besides, listening to a music that you don't understand isn't a bad thing. It makes you more knowledgeable about things that you do not understand before. It makes your intelligence wider."

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:05
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i also hate when ppl say that to me.... and i would be like so... i love japanese songs and culture, planning on going to japan and lived there for 1 year or 2 to study japanese and hopefully one day be fluent ^^ and i will always love utada hikaru <3 she is the best singer ever lived, she writes and produce her own song and there all meaningful and special =)

thats my reason =)
Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:06
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
i also hate when ppl say that to me.... and i would be like so... i love japanese songs and culture and i will always love utada hikaru <3 she is the best singer ever lived, she writes and produce her own song and there all meaningful and special =)

thats my reason =)

yea + loving hikki is a good reason

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:07
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...12>