KeepTryin87
Re: Hey Everyone, Im New
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 22/F/Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:

ayehunny wrote:
Quote:

KeepTryin87 wrote:
cool! Yeah I am taking Japanese now, it is a challenge but I think it will be well worth all the hard work. I am going to Japan next summer, so that will be some practice. I am lucky my Japanese teacher said she will give me phone numbers of her friends so I can talk to them. I am currently trying to master hiragana and katakana. I need to study before my next lesson or my teacher will think I am a slacker! Thanks for reminding me of that!
aah me want Japanese lessons T_T though until I start on a course "for real" I'm starting to learn to speak a bit. :) maybe I'll even dare trying hiragana... but we'll see about that

how long are you planning to be in Japan then?

I think you can learn without lessons! I do some self-learning on the side with a great audio program, it was a bit pricey but I think it helps me out alot. tonight I am making hiragana and katakana flash cards to help me learn! Well, I will be in Japan about 16 days. I'm going up to the northern island of Hokkaidō to explore the national forests and all. I am trying to convince my mom to stay a few extra days in Tokyo.
Posted on: 2008/9/24 17:35
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
That's really awesome. Are you doing the whole train and bed and breakfast kinda' thing? I heard there are these litle bed-and breakfast type hotels all over the place that are a great cultural experience for travelers.
Posted on: 2008/9/25 7:56
  •  KeepTryin87
      KeepTryin87
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

Roscoe wrote:
That's really awesome. Are you doing the whole train and bed and breakfast kinda' thing? I heard there are these litle bed-and breakfast type hotels all over the place that are a great cultural experience for travelers.

Yeah pretty much. We did that last time. It really gives you a sense of the culture going on the trains and staying in the ryokans (the inns). They give you dinner and breakfast, it is really nice. Of course it takes getting used to eating fish and rice and picked vegetables for breakfast everyday, but most of the time it is really good. At the traditional dinners, they give you SO much food. It is overwhelming! One thing about my Japan experiences is I was never under fed!
Posted on: 2008/9/25 16:20
  •  Roscoe
      Roscoe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/New Hampshire
Did you have a particular favourite place that you stopped?I love travel stories.
Posted on: 2008/9/25 16:24
  •  KeepTryin87
      KeepTryin87
Hikki Obsessed
Quote:

Roscoe wrote:
Did you have a particular favourite place that you stopped?I love travel stories.

I think my favorite part was meeting a real geisha. I went through a tour company and they arranged for us to meet her in Kyoto. It was extremely interesting talking to her, she is 16 and training to be a geisha (I forgot the name of when you are a geisha in training) It was fascinating.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 17:19
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
holy cow?!!
Posted on: 2008/9/26 23:25
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 55/M/USA
I would like to meet a real Geisha. Maybe I can do so online. As it happens, I have a copy of that full length feature movie, "Memoirs of a Geisha" but have not watched it all the way through, as yet. As to learning Japanese, I posted a couple of "Learn Japanese" websites in my earlier posts here. Good luck with the studies of Japanese language and culture, and with the travel plans for Japan. Tokyo, maybe Osaka and where is that leadership town or prefecture? Kyoto, I think, yes. Japanese and English cultures are so strange to me, but so similarly "Island Weird" as I will call it today. Both have this super aggressive, "war-like" national culture. Makes me wonder about human social development and cultural patterns. I think there is a window to a very big picture of Humanity here, somehow. Maybe war was or remains a natural state of human beings, which means we are headed for our inevitable demise in this Technology supercharged World of Today. Check Out This New American Radio Website Run By Our Biggest Radio Conglomerate
Posted on: 2008/9/26 23:41
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234