Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...14>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Come Back to Me
Administrator
A/S/L 23/f/CDN
Listen here! http://islandrecords.com/site/promo/splash/utada/index.htm

Since the first topic for this single turned into a crazy flamers war and was rightly locked, I'm starting another one so that those who wish to discuss this maturely have a chance to.

And I also didn't get to add my own thoughts to it =) haha

--------------------

I'm happy with the song. I will admit that it is pretty generic and mainstream...I showed it to two people already and my bf thought it was a black singer and my YUI obsessed friend was super excited when she heard it and was so surprised when I told her it was Utada :)

I thought of Beyonce and Rihanna first when I heard this. The theme of the song is very reminiscent of the stuff Rihanna dishes out (I'm not a fan of her btw) but the song sounds like something Beyonce would release (I'd also like to mention that 'If I were a Boy' totally reminds me of 'You make me want to be a man' in terms of the theme of the song...not the style...Come back to Me sounds more like it though).

Regarding some people thinking she's selling out because she's making something generic and not going with the original stuff she can produce...well, here's the thing...she already TRIED that and it flopped. She's got a lot of pressure from her label as well to make sales...she can't let them down by producing another flop...so she's releasing something that America would recognize and easily fall in love with to gain credibility before releasing anything that's risky.

Safe. That's what I would call this song. Utada's already taken her risk...now she's taking another approach.

--------------------------

So, enjoy discussing and feel free to share your own thoughts. If I see anyone attacking another user directly for their opinions then I'm deleting it right away. Learn how to disagree without flaming.

If you don't know what flaming is, here's Jargon Dictionary's definition:
*To post an email message intended to insult and provoke.
*To speak incessantly and/or rabidly on some relatively uninteresting subject or with a patently ridiculous attitude.
*Either of senses 1 or 2, directed with hostility at a particular person or people.
Posted on: 2009/1/7 12:53
  •  Lal
      Lal
Re: Come Back to Me
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 18/F/UK
I completely agree, seraphim. I really am enjoying this song for it's aesthetic points, and I think for being a more mainstream type of song, she really has managed to preserve her character in it.

I've been working on the lyrics. A lot of stuff showing up regarding the lyrics have been much less than correct. There's only one word I'm not sure of (I'll highlight it below):

---

The rain falls on my windows
And a coldness runs through my soul
And the rain falls
Oh the rain falls
I don?t want to be alone

I wish that I could photoshop all our bad memories
?Cause the flashbacks
Oh the flashbacks
Won?t leave me alone

If you come back to me
I?ll be all that you need
Baby come back to me
Let me make up for what happened in the past

Baby come back to me
I?ll be everything you need
Baby come back to me
Boy you?re (one in a million)
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
You?re one in a million

Lower East Side of Manhattan
She goes shopping for new clothes
And she buys this
And she buys that
Just leave her alone

I wish that he would listen to her
Side of the story
It isn?t that bad
It isn?t that bad
And she?s wiser for it now

I admit I cheated
Don?t know why I did it
But I do regret it
Nothing I can do or say can change the past

Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
You?re one in a million

Everything I ever did
Heaven knows I?m sorry babe
I was too dumb to see
You were always there for me
And my curiosity
Got the better of me
Baby take it easy on me

Anything from A to Z
Call me what you wanna babe
I open my heart to thee
You are my priority
Can?t you see you?ve punished me
More than enough already
Baby take it easy on me

Baby... take it easy on me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me

Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
You?re one in a million

Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
Baby come back to me
You?re one in a million

---

Please comment and correct as needed.
Posted on: 2009/1/7 13:32
  •  Truten
      Truten
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/UK
I personally adore the song, the piano intro sets you up for her voice and then Hikki comes in and plays the melody. Its a simple song that anyone can listen to, I've been constantly listening to it ever since I first heard it this morning which I rarely do for a song.

It actually reminds me of Mariah Carey, the melody is similar to her latest single "I Stay In Love" but it has Hikki's unique quality to it.

I agree that its a safe choice but considering what happened with Exodus, the record label and Hikki herself wants to play it like that. Plus its very mainstream so she can get attention from all areas of the population. Then she can release more risqu? songs but I definitely agree that she needs to be careful with her new English album.

I live in the UK so I'll be importing the single and album to support her, and then I'll buy them again when they are released over here :)

But in final words, I really adore "Come Back To Me".
Posted on: 2009/1/7 13:33
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
It's very mainstream. It will do decently, I think. The first time that I heard it.. I was not impressed .. but it does grow on you as it has a really catchy tune to it.

I was hoping for an ideal world that I would be able to find her English music as enjoyable as her Japanese works. I suppose I may have just accept the fact that these are drastically different markets and some compromises must be made.

Best to you, Hikaru!
Posted on: 2009/1/7 13:35
  •  syronx
      syronx
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L M/Earth [lol(USA)]
Quote:

seraphim wrote:
Listen here! http://islandrecords.com/site/promo/splash/utada/index.htm

Since the first topic for this single turned into a crazy flamers war and was rightly locked, I'm starting another one so that those who wish to discuss this maturely have a chance to.

And I also didn't get to add my own thoughts to it =) haha

--------------------

I'm happy with the song. I will admit that it is pretty generic and mainstream...I showed it to two people already and my bf thought it was a black singer and my YUI obsessed friend was super excited when she heard it and was so surprised when I told her it was Utada :)

I thought of Beyonce and Rihanna first when I heard this. The theme of the song is very reminiscent of the stuff Rihanna dishes out (I'm not a fan of her btw) but the song sounds like something Beyonce would release (I'd also like to mention that 'If I were a Boy' totally reminds me of 'You make me want to be a man' in terms of the theme of the song...not the style...Come back to Me sounds more like it though).

Regarding some people thinking she's selling out because she's making something generic and not going with the original stuff she can produce...well, here's the thing...she already TRIED that and it flopped. She's got a lot of pressure from her label as well to make sales...she can't let them down by producing another flop...so she's releasing something that America would recognize and easily fall in love with to gain credibility before releasing anything that's risky.

Safe. That's what I would call this song. Utada's already taken her risk...now she's taking another approach.

--------------------------

So, enjoy discussing and feel free to share your own thoughts. If I see anyone attacking another user directly for their opinions then I'm deleting it right away. Learn how to disagree without flaming.

If you don't know what flaming is, here's Jargon Dictionary's definition:
*To post an email message intended to insult and provoke.
*To speak incessantly and/or rabidly on some relatively uninteresting subject or with a patently ridiculous attitude.
*Either of senses 1 or 2, directed with hostility at a particular person or people.

o yea i agree with you.

hmm hey thats what i thought
it sounded like something Beyonce and Rihanna too

hmm well, in order for her music to amuse people in USA
she has to change it to something everyone likes

still, this song is awsome ^^

anyone know if best buy or some store sells this album, i just wanna go to my nearest store ready when it comes

thanks.
Posted on: 2009/1/7 15:23
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i totally agree with seraphim

hikki exodus was a big flop, so now she is trying a different approach, by making this song very americanish rnb style, so then after she becomas known around here and famous, she will start making her unique/wonderful music for us to listen, (i hope lolz) and wat i thought about "Come Back To Me":

its a fabulous song from the beginning to end, started with the piano, then her powerful voice kicks in to gear, the lyrics are beautiful, the melody is very soothing and its a new style hikki is trying now, so i think we should respect her of wats she's doing. also This album did take along long time to produced, so thats means that hikki much put alot of hard and gold into it, traveling to U.S and Japan singing and composing, so i think we better now bad mouthing her new album, or any of her songs in it V

p.s if this album is gonna be a flob just like exodus (hopelly not) then she should really stop tryin to get into american mainstream (not that cuz she can't, she could be) cuz she is basically wasting time, and like i say b4 she spent major time on this album so she can be regonized around here if ppl here arent even gonna listen to it wats the use promoting it!!! cuz ppl in the U.S r just very closed minded about music..... she shouldn't be making music for a company if there nobody gonna listen to it!!

and plz ppl don't critizied me cuz of wat i said, thats my opinion, my thoughts on it, so respect me as i would repect ur thoughts and opinino on the album. peace V
Posted on: 2009/1/7 18:13
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/M/Philippines
i just read the other topic seraphim was talking about...tsk, tsk...hehehe =P

anyways about the song, the first time i read about it, i was already peeing in my shorts due to excitement...for other people it's quite disappointing because it's not that "original"...yeah, it's not that quite original but i agree with the others saying that she already learned her lesson...she experimented too much with exodus, thus coming out with "somehow weird songs" so now she decides to come up with something radio stations all over the world will play, making her more mainstream....

the song is pretty good...try putting it into your mp3 player, then set it into repeat...the song will just grow into you...i really like the part with the lyrics like "Everything I ever did Heaven knows I?m sorry babe I was too dumb to see You were always there for me And my curiosity..." (credits to sano's website for the complete lyrics)...i super love that part...

i'm betting that this time, hikki will get heavy airtime at radio stations...and i also believe that this time, hikki will become more popular here in the philippines because all filipinos ever hear are rihanna's and mariah's crap...i will surely buy an original cd of her once it is released her in the philippines...

finally, this time, hikki will make it big overseas, i'm betting on that...

hikki-chan! ganbatte ne!...=P
Posted on: 2009/1/7 19:22
  •  FunkyStrawberries
      FunkyStrawberries
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25/ F/NY
Yes, it is a very mainstream sounding song... I do like it more as I listen to it a few more times, but it still is only the radio single, and the album is mostly likely going to be a much more awesome. (I almost always find the radio single released for an artist to be one of my least favorite songs when I hear the whole album)

Im gunna have to agree with your opinion of this just being safe. Cause its very true. We'll just see how it goes I guess! Hopefully she does well!
Posted on: 2009/1/7 19:30
  •  automatic_hikki
      automatic_hikki
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 39/F/Chicago Suburbs USA
Um well I like it. Yeah it is more mainstream, but that is what you have to do here.

Pop music can be formulaic and brilliant at the same time. (Not saying that the song is brilliant but it is damn good!) That is why it is popular. This song has a great hook and an infectious melody. I love the piano intro and the arrangement of the song.

What makes this a Hikki song is the lyrics. She is and always has been a great lyricist. Part of me wonders if it is autobiographical and WOW if it is.
Posted on: 2009/1/7 19:32
  •  syronx
      syronx
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L M/Earth [lol(USA)]
i wish it comes to fm radio. i hope it makes a positive influence to people lol if it comes on radio
Posted on: 2009/1/7 19:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...14>