Poster Thread
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Re: Come Back to Me
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

Roscoe wrote:
You know, when you were mentioning how the lyrics are a little bit "younger", it made me realize how similar this song is to Easy Breezy, they're both pretty fluffy and sound mainstream (at least, I think Easy Breezy did at the time it came out). Maybe this is the Easy Breezy of her new album and there's some other radically different stuff on there we haven't heard.

That is exactly what I'm hoping for. But regardless when I referred to Exodus 2.0.. I'm really talking about everything on the 2nd half of the album, tracks 7-14, from Hotel Lobby on.. I should have clarified.

The first few songs I must say are awful. But at least Easy Breezy was playful. This new track is just a complete downer for me after the piano ends..

I suppose she could go the route of Exodus and make an album with a crossover that separates the quality of her music (in my mind, anyone care to disagree?) But if she does this she had better release it in a full analog version so I only have to play one side. (Exodus never got a full LP but her JP albums did.. THANK YOU SO MUCH AMERICAN MUSIC CONGLOMERATES(i look forward to the day you splinter, fracture, then whither away)

**EDIT* AND DEAR GOD PLEASE DONT LET HER USE AN AUTOTUNE FOR ANY EFFECT (I don't think she would but regardless her label OWNS her music).
Posted on: 2009/1/9 11:09
  •  itana1
      itana1
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male
im not sure but i heard that stargate produced this song not utada which is why its so mainstream. If any knows more pls tell me!

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return." Loveless
Posted on: 2009/1/9 11:21
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

itana1 wrote:
im not sure but i heard that stargate produced this song not utada which is why its so mainstream. If any knows more pls tell me!

Probably, it is very rare for a major label to let an artist produce their own music themselves. Some exceptions to this are Hova in a certain case, Pharrell, Kanye, and of course Timbaland.

It's the whole iron fist attitude they have but also most artists are unable to do it themselves.. they need someone to tell them what they do best and how to do it 'better'.
Posted on: 2009/1/9 11:25
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
Quote:

sswx2187 wrote:
Quote:

itana1 wrote:

Probably, it is very rare for a major label to let an artist produce their own music themselves. Some exceptions to this are Hova in a certain case, Pharrell, Kanye, and of course Timbaland.

It's the whole iron fist attitude they have but also most artists are unable to do it themselves.. they need someone to tell them what they do best and how to do it 'better'.

But isn't utada in charge of that? She is a producer too you know, or at least takes part in most of it.

That was how she's done in the past tho...
Posted on: 2009/1/9 13:32
Administrator
A/S/L 23/f/CDN
Quote:

sswx2187 wrote:
Quote:

ALSO, i had my bro listen to it, he said it sounds like something MTV would play

so i HOPE theres a PV, cause itll prolly get on MTV

Not to flame but MTV has become a type of a joke in the industry and if you used to be a fan it would make you very sad today. For anyone who asked what radio it will be played on.. Kiss FM. For the people wondering where they can buy this when it is released, any music rack retailer. Boarders books and music still carries Exodus.. and I saw it at FYEntertainment about three weeks ago.

Not that it is awful.. but its not up to her level. I guess that is something about getting older.. I don't enjoy music with lyrics like this.. it is made to sell to a younger and largely immature American audience. I want to see a more mature and unique UH. I guess that is the cost of breaking in the mainstream.. but Hikki.. why do you have to go mainstream in the USA. I'd much rather see you produce a real work of art, an Exodus 2.0 (remember, "I dont want to crossover between this genre, that genre. Between you and I is where I want to crossover" WTF HAPPENED!!), than this and I think many people my age could agree (i'm not looking to the 17 year olds for support here, no offense but I think some day you might understand where I'm coming from).. that these themes, like cheating, are way too high school don't occur as often as you get older and I'd like to hope people are smart enough to know if she cheats not to go back even if she sings and crys "baby come back to me." because anyone who cheats doesn't know what they want and are not worth your time regardless of what lessons may have been learned because there are millions of other people out there who are going to truly be faithful. Maybe sing about that?

Hikki, if you want to make music that will be listened to for 40 years.. make it something with substance.. and you can do it.. but not like this. I want to see hotel lobby, kremlin dusk, animato but X 10!!!

Its a load of fluff personally, some creative expressions included, but largely something I can't appreciate.

Regardless, I really do enjoy the instrumentals and the beat.

GJ in that respect.. I'm looking for the type of sound you make for my music.. but there is no way to emulate your sound without coming off as a copycat. I guess I need to think outside the box. (but you didn't make this beat, your producer set it up.. right?)

Sorry if anyone finds this hateful. I am not happy with this. But I've found Hikki's singles are far from the best songs on the album so I still have hope.

Hmm...I see your point in wanting her to not want to break into mainstream or why she's even going that way. But I'd have to disagree with infidelity being only a high school issue. Just look at the divorce rate and the most common reason being infidelity. I wasn't jumping for joy that she was singing about this, since I agree, once you've been unfaithful, you're out with no second chances (and to me, cheating is not just sex, even emotional attachment over online chatting I'd consider an affair), I feel that the song carries a sad undertone that shows more of the regrets of a woman who has been unfaithful, and that's a side that hasn't been explored as much in mainstream America (I may be wrong, I really don't follow mainstream but I have a highschooler brother so I pick up enough :P) Also, she has to call for him so much over and over and try all these ways to convince him because its pretty obvious that he's not giving her a second chance ('Can't you see you punished me/More than enough already ')

But then again, I agree with you, I'm not too happy she's singing about it because it seems to add to the "trendy"ness for kids nowadays to throw commitment and faithfulness around like its nothing~ But at least its not promoting infidelity and is instead showing how heartbreaking it really is.
Posted on: 2009/1/9 13:52
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

seraphim wrote:

Hmm...I see your point in wanting her to not want to break into mainstream or why she's even going that way. But I'd have to disagree with infidelity being only a high school issue. Just look at the divorce rate and the most common reason being infidelity. I wasn't jumping for joy that she was singing about this, since I agree, once you've been unfaithful, you're out with no second chances (and to me, cheating is not just sex, even emotional attachment over online chatting I'd consider an affair), I feel that the song carries a sad undertone that shows more of the regrets of a woman who has been unfaithful, and that's a side that hasn't been explored as much in mainstream America (I may be wrong, I really don't follow mainstream but I have a highschooler brother so I pick up enough :P) Also, she has to call for him so much over and over and try all these ways to convince him because its pretty obvious that he's not giving her a second chance ('Can't you see you punished me/More than enough already ')

But then again, I agree with you, I'm not too happy she's singing about it because it seems to add to the "trendy"ness for kids nowadays to throw commitment and faithfulness around like its nothing~ But at least its not promoting infidelity and is instead showing how heartbreaking it really is.

haha, also for something for me to add...
Everyone remember back from the Exodus release?
She said she 'liked songs that told stories', so she 'liked to make songs that tell stories' (not a word for word quote).
She is a storyteller, this song is a story, and it creates interest, drama, and emotion.
... just look at all the drama going on here ...
Posted on: 2009/1/9 15:08
  •  itana1
      itana1
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male
and also, i remember an interview she did and she said that her exodus album was too thick of her colors and style. Thats probably why she decided to make her new english album more mainstream. Correct me if im wrong

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return." Loveless
Posted on: 2009/1/9 21:24
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

itana1 wrote:
and also, i remember an interview she did and she said that her exodus album was too thick of her colors and style. Thats probably why she decided to make her new english album more mainstream. Correct me if im wrong

I have not heard this but I think it makes perfect sense. Its too early to judge and I have to say for this I am sorry. I think the smartest thing she could do would be to collaborate with other artists of her caliber and move outside of her typical comfort zone (Pharrell, R Kelly, Malice of Clipse, Thom Yorke and so on and so forth(what an eclectic but possibly awesome combo, give it thought))

However, the day a Hikki album comes out with her and Ne-Yo (as she has in the past) or someone equally pathetic (I don't think I could stand Chris Brown.. I'd almost certainly have an aneurysm) I will have to move on.

End of story. u Hikki

(Sorry if this is considered flame or flame bait but I needed to have my fears written down for the world to see. I'll avoid my doomsayer ways from here on out)
Posted on: 2009/1/9 22:15
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
Being 26, and one of the 'older' (arg!) members of this board here, I do not find that this song is any less relevant. As mentioned, infidelity is a major problem in our society, and people who are married for a long time (15 years and up) are doing just this very same. In this selfish, instant satisfaction type of society, I can only see this problem growing. Is there not that line, "I was too young to see that you were always there for me?". I think that in itself places the lyricist into a frame of being older and more experienced. I enjoy the admittence of guilt, the expression of the fact that the past -cannot- be changed (or forgotten). While the subject matter is something that I don't want to hear from Hikaru (it has me thinking that she's been a bad girl..) I would not call it an immature subject matter by a long shot.

You're also choosing to forget that her music is pop. Japanese pop, but pop. Most songs are aimed at a younger audience. Most songs by her are simple and easy to relate to by every audience. Yes, there are a few gems with deeper and more poetic lyrics, but that is far from comprising a fat core of material.

For the record, I did not enjoy Exodus. I am glad that this is not Exodus 2.0, for my ears and for her career. She still has the tendancy to write some awkward lyrics from what I see in CBTM, but I hope that it will be kept reigned in for the other songs on her album.

Good luck to you Hikaru!
Posted on: 2009/1/9 23:39
Administrator
A/S/L 23/f/CDN
Quote:

Amaterasu wrote:
Being 26, and one of the 'older' (arg!) members of this board here, I do not find that this song is any less relevant. As mentioned, infidelity is a major problem in our society, and people who are married for a long time (15 years and up) are doing just this very same. In this selfish, instant satisfaction type of society, I can only see this problem growing. Is there not that line, "I was too young to see that you were always there for me?". I think that in itself places the lyricist into a frame of being older and more experienced. I enjoy the admittence of guilt, the expression of the fact that the past -cannot- be changed (or forgotten). While the subject matter is something that I don't want to hear from Hikaru (it has me thinking that she's been a bad girl..) I would not call it an immature subject matter by a long shot.

You're also choosing to forget that her music is pop. Japanese pop, but pop. Most songs are aimed at a younger audience. Most songs by her are simple and easy to relate to by every audience. Yes, there are a few gems with deeper and more poetic lyrics, but that is far from comprising a fat core of material.

For the record, I did not enjoy Exodus. I am glad that this is not Exodus 2.0, for my ears and for her career. She still has the tendancy to write some awkward lyrics from what I see in CBTM, but I hope that it will be kept reigned in for the other songs on her album.

Good luck to you Hikaru!

Very well stated~ I agree with pretty much everything you said. I still listen to Exodus and enjoy it once in awhile...but it's not something that I proudly show off to others...whereas when I first discovered Hikki, I was blasting her music at every opportunity that I could get.

And no worries people...you've all been very good for not flaming...if you're worried, if you've seen the last thread on CBTM, you'll know whether you've crossed the line or not by comparison...
Posted on: 2009/1/9 23:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345678...14>