Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456...51>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
Re: "Come Back to Me" MediaBase US Airplay Reporting
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
can I ask what's in Rhythmic ? is there any different in the "Come Back to Me"song?

Uhmm about BoA its kinda hard for her she's famous in Asia but in US she still new sry BoA Fans
Posted on: 2009/1/29 19:46
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
well not really, BoA is prety well know around here too, just not in U.S mainstream yet and btw nice siggy swallow
Posted on: 2009/1/29 20:45
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

SwallowTail wrote:
can I ask what's in Rhythmic ? is there any different in the "Come Back to Me"song?

Uhmm about BoA its kinda hard for her she's famous in Asia but in US she still new sry BoA Fans

Rhythmic is a rado format (category) that has kind of a broad range of stations. It usually means stations that play a mix of straight-pop and hip-hop, but it can also include dance stations. This is why rhythmic is also sometimes called "crossover."

Rhythmic will be playing the same version of "Come Back to Me" as pop stations do, although sometimes they do play remixes, but of course right now "Come Back to Me" doesn't have any remixes yet.

As for Boa, the main problem she has right now is that she has her Korean label, SM, in charge of her album. SM is new in the US and doesn't yet have a lot of influence or experience in this market. Like I said before, I don't think "Eat You Up" even had an adds date, so either SM for whatever reason couldn't do that or they just didn't even bother trying to push that song at radio.

Utada has an advantage in that she's signed with a major US label, Island Def Jam, that's owned by a big worldwide company, Universal. With Exodus I think they were more concerned with making a quick buck with the Japanese market, but this time around, with LA Reid in charge it looks like they're taking this album more seriously in the US.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 1:02
  •  Truten
      Truten
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/UK
Quick question, I heard that radio airplay also plays a part in the chart position in the US, is this true?
Posted on: 2009/1/30 3:23
  •  cutelilme
      cutelilme
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/F/NYC =)
Quote:

Truten wrote:
Quick question, I heard that radio airplay also plays a part in the chart position in the US, is this true?

if thats true then hikki is doing a great job here so far, even though i have yet to see any promotional work done for her besides her myspace
Posted on: 2009/1/30 6:48
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
1/29 Update:

35 Spins
(3 @ Pop; 32 @ Rhythmic)
0.144 Million Audience Impressions
Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:04
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
DEVIL INSIDE
Total Lifetime Spins: 597
Total Lifetime Audience: 2.412 Million

Devil Inside had phenomenal numbers but didn't even chart on the Billboard 100 and I never once heard that song played on the radio so I don't know how much weight I would put into these numbers.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:28
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

Truten wrote:

Well, there's a couple dozen different charts that Billboard has, and many of them measure different things.

But yes, the Billboard Hot 100, the main singles chart, is organized by combining sales (these days mostly all downloads) and radio airplay, (online streams from Yahoo and AOL are also considered, but those don't have a big effect on the chart yet).

Here's how it works: songs on the chart are ranked by a point system that carries over their audience impressions from radio; and then adds in their equivalent in sales (1 sale = 1000 audience impressions in this system). The total numbers are the songs' score.

Obviously, right now Utada is nowhere even close to debuting on this chart yet. There's maybe only 3 or 4 stations right now playing "Come Back to Me" at the moment, and if the chart went on forever Utada would probably be like #1000-something lol. We'll have to see how the song grows in the coming weeks and months as the add date approaches, it gets released on iTunes, and we get closer to the album release.

It's good to be excited! But also let's not get ahead of ourselves, there's still a loooong way to go.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:35
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

ghostdog wrote:
DEVIL INSIDE
Total Lifetime Spins: 597
Total Lifetime Audience: 2.412 Million

Devil Inside had phenomenal numbers but didn't even chart on the Billboard 100 and I never once heard that song played on the radio so I don't know how much weight I would put into these numbers.

These numbers are accurate. Mediabase is a very trusted source for radio tracking. Granted, Billboard does use a different service for airplay tracking called Nielsen BDS, but their numbers should be very, very similar.

The short story is that "Devil Inside" did not, in fact, have phenomenal numbers. That song did well on dance stations (and even hit #1 on Billboard Dance Airplay chart), but electronic/ dance is a smaaall niche market, and "Devil Inside" couldn't really make it outside of that market.

For a frame of reference, here's the stats for a big, mainstream song this week:

KELLY CLARKSON - MY LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT YOU
1/29/09
6680 spins
(AC : 2
Hot AC : 1767
Pop : 4796
Rhythmic : 114)
38.076 Million Audience Impressions

And these are weekly numbers, not total lifetime numbers.

The biggest songs, like you can see above, are ones that get good support from a number of different radio formats. Really huge songs like Mariah's hits can hit all the way through the ACs, Pop, Rhythmic, and Urban and have hit 100 million impressions before.

I'm not trying to depress anyone (lol), I'm just pointing out that (a) these numbers are legit and (b) we are still rreeeaallly early in the game and although Utada's off to a promising start, we should remain realistic and understand what it takes to become a "big huge smash hit" song at radio.
Posted on: 2009/1/30 12:26
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
KELLY CLARKSON - MY LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT YOU
1/29/09
6680 spins
(AC : 2
Hot AC : 1767
Pop : 4796
Rhythmic : 114)
38.076 Million Audience Impressions

wow, that song ****.....I wont say it because I don't want to offend anyone but why on Earth is that song getting so much airplay?
Posted on: 2009/1/30 14:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456...51>