Utada Net.com Forum Index
   Utada News
  "Come Back to Me" MediaBase US Airplay Reporting

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...37383940414243...51>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: "Come Back to Me" MediaBase US Airplay Reporting UPDATE: Z100 New York!
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:

I don't think this means that we should give up on the station, and as long as Utada's still on their Mediabase request page we should continue supporting her there.

...Actually, correct me if i'm wrong, but i went on z100's online Mediabase request page to request Utada and... her stuff wasn't on the list. X: I thought it'd still be there since they threw in Poppin' on the list but now theyre both not there. I have no idea what's going on and i'm so confused. TxT;
Posted on: 2009/4/13 13:13
  •  automatic_hikki
      automatic_hikki
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 39/F/Chicago Suburbs USA
Radio annoys me. They play so much CRAP, seriously. Why not influence the market by playing something decent?? Sheesh...

That is amazing to see the song hit 2 mil impressions though. It steadily goes up even without big market support.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:59
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

TadakoXIII wrote:

...Actually, correct me if i'm wrong, but i went on z100's online Mediabase request page to request Utada and... her stuff wasn't on the list. X: I thought it'd still be there since they threw in Poppin' on the list but now theyre both not there. I have no idea what's going on and i'm so confused. TxT;

Yikes you're right. I still won't discourage people voting there, but yeah I don't think we should count on them adding the song anytime soon...
Posted on: 2009/4/14 2:14
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

automatic_hikki wrote:
Radio annoys me. They play so much CRAP, seriously. Why not influence the market by playing something decent?? Sheesh...

About this P.O.V.:

(a) It's pretty hypocritical considering "Come Back to Me" isn't really any different than anything else played on the radio

(b) Businesses serve their customers, to try to "influence" them is a case of arrogance and futility

and (c) Radio stations go through a lot of trouble to find out what their listeners want to hear. It's absolutely vital for them because they don't want listeners changing the station. If a radio station is playing certain songs a lot, rest assured it's because those songs are what the demographic that station caters to genuinely wants to hear (it should be noted here that the majority of pop and rhythmic radio caters to 20-something females).
Posted on: 2009/4/14 2:29
  •  laiwingnang
      laiwingnang
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:

About this P.O.V.:

(a) It's pretty hypocritical considering "Come Back to Me" isn't really any different than anything else played on the radio
...........etc

CBTM seems to be of a different caliber than the average heavily synthesized/sampled pop/urban music these days.
At least it has coherent lyrics and not just a bunch of rhymes tossed together. It is actually more melodic than the average top40 hits which is reliant on beat and rhythm.
It seems like everyone is just talking about how great the beat is when it comes to pop music because there doesn't seem to be anything else to appreciate about them.

Anyhow, I really think these top 10 markets can be a tiny bit less conservative with what they play. They can at least afford to give songs outside of the top 40 at least a spin or two. Now it seems like they are just playing it safe in a stupid way than being intelligently choosing songs that caters to their audience. It's like avoiding pregnancy by not having sex rather using contraceptives? I can see that radio is still giving Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" something from 3 years ago 900+ spins on a weekly basis while a rising top 60 song like CTBM is getting less spins with next to no airplay in America's 10 largest cities.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 6:32
  •  automatic_hikki
      automatic_hikki
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 39/F/Chicago Suburbs USA
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:
Quote:

automatic_hikki wrote:

About this P.O.V.:

(b) Businesses serve their customers, to try to "influence" them is a case of arrogance and futility

and (c) Radio stations go through a lot of trouble to find out what their listeners want to hear. It's absolutely vital for them because they don't want listeners changing the station. If a radio station is playing certain songs a lot, rest assured it's because those songs are what the demographic that station caters to genuinely wants to hear (it should be noted here that the majority of pop and rhythmic radio caters to 20-something females).

Well, being 31 I definitely don't fit into that demographic.

So why isn't she getting added to the stations she needs the most? Why are they so stubborn about this song?
I guess it isn't "radio-friendly" enough.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 7:54
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:
Quote:

automatic_hikki wrote:

About this P.O.V.:

I don't know why you are so adamant in defending these radio stations so much.
Sorry but maybe this is just my opinion which i just happen to share with almost all my friends but Top 40 radio for the most part is absolute garbage and CBTM should definitely be getting more airplay on the big stations then what it is.
Please name 3 ballads on the radio playing today that is better then CBTM?

I understand if a song isn't a requested a lot that there is no reason for a station to play it but z100 played CBTM ONCE and then decided to never play it again even though I requested it on that mediabase form every day for 2 weeks and I know many other people did too. So don't tell me they are catering to listeners because they are obviously not. She has good size fanbase in NYC and I know people there want to hear her on the radio.

It is complete and utter bullshit that a big radio station will play 5 Britney songs and 4 Rihanna songs during a days rotation but can't squeeze in time for a single Utada song not even once.

Why is it that whenever I check the numbers her spins and impressions continue to go up in almost every category and every state except for the big 10 Pop Stations?

There is more going on here then meets the eye and I've all but given up on requesting the song here in Boston because they won't play it when I do.
I mean seriously, they can't give this song one goddamn spin? One?
Catering to listeners my butt.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:08
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Just jumping in the midst of this mini-debate here, but I'm also of the opinion that pop stations like z100 are full of crap. "Come Back to Me" is NOT like the majority of the pop songs given adequate airtime- it doesn't sound anything like them, and that's probably its biggest flaw in terms of getting radio time. It's just as good as those songs, but it's not the same, and what Top 10 stations want is the same conforming musical style set on repeat. I have friends who listen to nothing but the most popular junk, and when I've played Utada for them, they've been really confused because she just isn't mainstream American pop "material" (so to speak). She's too unique. She stands out. But the thing is, all of my friends have also liked her. If you think about it, the radio stations are really doing their listeners a disservice by playing the same stuff over and over because they never choose to expose them to new music. It's not that they shy away from new artists, because God knows the radio stations are quick to pick up on any Top 40 pop fodder they can find, but they rarely pick up new music, much of which their listeners may actually be interested in hearing if they only knew it existed. Radio has become so standardized that people have to go out of their way to find anything that sounds even remotely different, when the entire point of radio is (or should be) to give new artists exposure and bring their music attention. Therefore, radio stations that remain self-contained in their own bubble of mainstream commercial music are worthless, because they aren't really doing their job as musical outlets. It's radio stations like z100 that have brought the American music scene to the stagnant, stale environment it is now, where the biggest gap in musical styles you'll hear is between the Jonas Brothers and Beyonc?, and we all know how far a stretch that is.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:44
  •  cutelilme
      cutelilme
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/F/NYC =)
Quote:

scott_o_k wrote:
Quote:

TadakoXIII wrote:

Yikes you're right. I still won't discourage people voting there, but yeah I don't think we should count on them adding the song anytime soon...

i don't think we shuld give up on z100 considering how big of a station they are. maybe they just need a bit of a bigger push for hikki to be considered one of their "hot" artists. also i noticed that the online request form is specifically for the interactive 9 at 9, so maybe she got taken off of that cuz there just wasnt enough votes for her there. i think calling the station wuld be better since we culd talk to them and show them how much we want utada to play on the radio.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:12
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Just jumping in the midst of this mini-debate here, but I'm also of the opinion that pop stations like z100 are full of crap. "Come Back to Me" is NOT like the majority of the pop songs given adequate airtime- it doesn't sound anything like them, and that's probably its biggest flaw in terms of getting radio time. It's just as good as those songs, but it's not the same, and what Top 10 stations want is the same conforming musical style set on repeat. I have friends who listen to nothing but the most popular junk, and when I've played Utada for them, they've been really confused because she just isn't mainstream American pop "material" (so to speak). She's too unique. She stands out. But the thing is, all of my friends have also liked her. If you think about it, the radio stations are really doing their listeners a disservice by playing the same stuff over and over because they never choose to expose them to new music. It's not that they shy away from new artists, because God knows the radio stations are quick to pick up on any Top 40 pop fodder they can find, but they rarely pick up new music, much of which their listeners may actually be interested in hearing if they only knew it existed. Radio has become so standardized that people have to go out of their way to find anything that sounds even remotely different, when the entire point of radio is (or should be) to give new artists exposure and bring their music attention. Therefore, radio stations that remain self-contained in their own bubble of mainstream commercial music are worthless, because they aren't really doing their job as musical outlets. It's radio stations like z100 that have brought the American music scene to the stagnant, stale environment it is now, where the biggest gap in musical styles you'll hear is between the Jonas Brothers and Beyonc?, and we all know how far a stretch that is.

You hit the nail squarely on the head.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:32
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...37383940414243...51>