Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

Mahalania wrote:
Quote:

AnimeLunatic01 wrote:
Am I the only one who hates both of em?

P.S.
I was also embarassed at the "Love me long time" part. I don't know if it was a joke/having fun or what but I don't think Hikki should lower herself to singing something like that. It just struck a nerv in me. meh what can you do?

Acually she was singing "Love YOU long time" not "love me long time"

I think they were referring to the racial slur as you can read about here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1591868/20080730/furtado_nelly.jhtml

Some people can get offended by it, even if it's coming from an Asian woman.

I on the other hand never heard of the phrase so I didn't catch on right away. I avoid racial and sexual humour so I was completely ignorant of the connotations. I was just confused with why she put in bad grammar...... I wouldn't judge until we can hear it in its full context though!
Posted on: 2009/3/7 21:41
  •  Mahalania
      Mahalania
Re: Coming up new 2 samples
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/F/NY
Quote:

seraphim wrote:

MP3 MP3 (yeh yes)
Work it out Work it out (hustla)
On my knee (???)

I think instead of "On my knee"
it may be "Call my name" (all night Looooooong-ng-nnng)

FYI is growing on me as i have it on repeat lol
Posted on: 2009/3/7 22:00
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
do you think Hikki knows what she was writing about? i mean it could be an acident and Hikki isnt the type of person who puts in random phrases just for the heck of it. She must be aiming for something in the song, but like you said, Seraphim, i wont judge until i hear the full song.
Posted on: 2009/3/7 22:02
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

seraphim wrote:
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

Mahalania wrote:
Quote:

AnimeLunatic01 wrote:

P.S.
I was also embarassed at the "Love me long time" part. I don't know if it was a joke/having fun or what but I don't think Hikki should lower herself to singing something like that. It just struck a nerv in me. meh what can you do?

I think they were referring to the racial slur as you can read about here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1591868/20080730/furtado_nelly.jhtml

I on the other hand never heard of the phrase so I didn't catch on right away. I avoid racial and sexual humour so I was completely ignorant of the connotations. I was just confused with why she put in bad grammar...... I wouldn't judge until we can hear it in its full context though!

I didn't even really think about that line. On the one hand, I can understand why people would be offended by it. On the other hand, Utada is an intelligent singer, and I don't think she would stoop to that kind of low satirizing of Asians. The way I hear her using it is because of its association with a sexual atmosphere- not its association with Asian people. The fact that she's Japanese just makes it a double entendre of sorts. If anything, I feel she's (subtly) mocking the manner in which it's used by applying it in that same context, if that makes any sense. Either way, once "This Is The One" comes out, I think that is a question Utada is going to be addressing quite a bit. I'm interested to hear what she has to say on the subject.

Also, on a different subject, I would just like to say that I understand many of Utada's fans' concerns regarding the style of music she's following for this album. However, Utada is constantly exploring different facets of her abilities and skills. She's stated time and again that she feels like singing in English gives her a chance to convey a more "sexy" and "mature" feel in her music- I think she enjoys that. Whereas in Japan, as Utada Hikaru, she's expected to be much more "profound" and yet "cute," as Utada she gets to kind of recreate her style and her sound to be more "adult," and I think that's what we're seeing here. I think "This Is The One" is going to be a fun album, but I'm not expecting any Edgar Allen Poe or Shakespeare out of it from what she's been saying thus far.
However, it's also possible that the two samples are only sneak peeks at the "Workout" and "Tippy Toe" of her new album- maybe we'll be surprised with another "Animato" or "Hotel Lobby" or something. There are still seven songs left to hear on the album. We shouldn't prejudge it based on two samples. ^^

Kisses & Cuddles,
Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/3/7 22:08
Administrator
A/S/L 23/f/CDN
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
do you think Hikki knows what she was writing about? i mean it could be an acident and Hikki isnt the type of person who puts in random phrases just for the heck of it. She must be aiming for something in the song, but like you said, Seraphim, i wont judge until i hear the full song.

I don't know...Hikki's pretty knowledgable in pop culture and this kind of phrase is known the most by her "generation" (growing up in late 80's and 90's). The MTV article did say that the phrase is changing into a more empowered kind of phrase especially if its spoken by a woman, but at the same time, not everyone may see it like that and might see it for its original reference.

Since Hikki doesn't put in random phrases, I would say she had a reason for putting a phrase with such connotations in it. Or perhaps she thought it would be fine now because many other pop celebrities are using the phrase in their lyrics.

Well, we just have to wait under a week to find out the full lyrics! YAY!
Posted on: 2009/3/7 22:13
  •  toriaezu
      toriaezu
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
o wow. i never knew about the origins of the phrase of "love you long time" until reading that mtv article. i dont think many people do. i have to wonder if utada actually understood the origin of that phrase when writing the lyrics to dirty desire. i actually think most people understand the sexual part of that phrase but not the ethnic connotations.

o and i really do think the "6-9" part is a double entendre, haha
Posted on: 2009/3/7 23:37
  •  Sylfi
      Sylfi
Re: Coming up new 2 samples [Dirty Desire & Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI]
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 15/Male/Cali
Really, if I had to equate these two songs to Exodus (which is my favorite Hikki album, by the way), they would be this:

Dirty Desire is kinda like Let Me Give You My Love, The Workout, and Devil Inside all mashed up together. It takes the musical idea and beat (I think) of Devil Inside and merges it with the lyrics of the other two songs to produce a very sexy song.

FYI is also kinda like Exodus '04, About Me, and Tippy Toe put together. It has the musical feeling of Exodus '04 and About Me, with the slightly sexual lyrics of Tippy Toe (Well, Tippy Toe's weren't SLIGHTLY sexual, but you get my point.)

About the "Love You Long Time" thing, just leave Hikki be. I actually think Dirty Desire was supposed to be a cheeky, funny song like Easy Breezy was. It's like how people took "I'm Japanesey" wrong (I always thought that it was just to make it rhyme 0_o).

But I just realized that Dirty Desire, FYI, Come Back To Me are kinda all related (At least, what we know from the previews). Kinda like:

FYI: She's with her boyfriend. They "have fun." I think. This sets up the relationship with her guy.

Dirty Desire: She's dreaming about this other guy who isn't her hubby/boyfriend, and she goes after him.

Come Back To Me: (Choose one) Hubby/boyfriend/[insert other kind of name for a significant other (there I go being all PC again) you can think of] catches her with the other guy. She begs for forgiveness.

It's all very interesting.
Posted on: 2009/3/8 1:21
  •  itana1
      itana1
Re: Coming up new 2 samples [Dirty Desire & Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI]
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male
Quote:

Sylfi wrote:
Really, if I had to equate these two songs to Exodus (which is my favorite Hikki album, by the way), they would be this:

Dirty Desire is kinda like Let Me Give You My Love, The Workout, and Devil Inside all mashed up together. It takes the musical idea and beat (I think) of Devil Inside and merges it with the lyrics of the other two songs to produce a very sexy song.

FYI is also kinda like Exodus '04, About Me, and Tippy Toe put together. It has the musical feeling of Exodus '04 and About Me, with the slightly sexual lyrics of Tippy Toe (Well, Tippy Toe's weren't SLIGHTLY sexual, but you get my point.)

About the "Love You Long Time" thing, just leave Hikki be. I actually think Dirty Desire was supposed to be a cheeky, funny song like Easy Breezy was. It's like how people took "I'm Japanesey" wrong (I always thought that it was just to make it rhyme 0_o).

But I just realized that Dirty Desire, FYI, Come Back To Me are kinda all related (At least, what we know from the previews). Kinda like:

FYI: She's with her boyfriend. They "have fun." I think. This sets up the relationship with her guy.

Dirty Desire: She's dreaming about this other guy who isn't her hubby/boyfriend, and she goes after him.

Come Back To Me: (Choose one) Hubby/boyfriend/[insert other kind of name for a significant other (there I go being all PC again) you can think of] catches her with the other guy. She begs for forgiveness.

It's all very interesting.

wow. nice break down. love it
anyway, you can call me retarded if you want but i wanna clarify what love you long time actually mean???

"Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return." Loveless
Posted on: 2009/3/8 3:14
  •  Enfluerage
      Enfluerage
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

seraphim wrote:
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

Mahalania wrote:
Quote:

AnimeLunatic01 wrote:

P.S.

I didn't even really think about that line. On the one hand, I can understand why people would be offended by it. On the other hand, Utada is an intelligent singer, and I don't think she would stoop to that kind of low satirizing of Asians. The way I hear her using it is because of its association with a sexual atmosphere- not its association with Asian people. The fact that she's Japanese just makes it a double entendre of sorts. If anything, I feel she's (subtly) mocking the manner in which it's used by applying it in that same context, if that makes any sense. Either way, once "This Is The One" comes out, I think that is a question Utada is going to be addressing quite a bit. I'm interested to hear what she has to say on the subject.

Also, on a different subject, I would just like to say that I understand many of Utada's fans' concerns regarding the style of music she's following for this album. However, Utada is constantly exploring different facets of her abilities and skills. She's stated time and again that she feels like singing in English gives her a chance to convey a more "sexy" and "mature" feel in her music- I think she enjoys that. Whereas in Japan, as Utada Hikaru, she's expected to be much more "profound" and yet "cute," as Utada she gets to kind of recreate her style and her sound to be more "adult," and I think that's what we're seeing here. I think "This Is The One" is going to be a fun album, but I'm not expecting any Edgar Allen Poe or Shakespeare out of it from what she's been saying thus far.
However, it's also possible that the two samples are only sneak peeks at the "Workout" and "Tippy Toe" of her new album- maybe we'll be surprised with another "Animato" or "Hotel Lobby" or something. There are still seven songs left to hear on the album. We shouldn't prejudge it based on two samples. ^^

Kisses & Cuddles,
Shuri/Eli

LOL... She has used Edgar Allen Poe before..

Remember Kremlin Dusk?

"All along I was searching for my Lenore
In the words of Mr. Edgar Allan Poe
Now I'm sober and "Nevermore"
Will the Raven come to bother me at home?"

I think this album will be incredible... It's kinda funny that the two top Japanese singers a decade ago... are still basically the top two Japanese singers today...
Posted on: 2009/3/8 6:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234567>