'This Is The One' Discussion

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...56789101112>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: This Is The One Discussion
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 17/F/CA
this album is slowly starting to grow on me, but it isn't my fave. i think i liked Exodus more then This is the One. but i did like from this album, i liked the first half. it's a fun album, but i wish Hikki worked by herself on this or like with EXODUS with Timbaland.

i'm still awaiting my official copy in the mail [which should have been very soon] maybe when i get my copy, i my change my mind.

but i know for sure i will never like poppin' lol
Posted on: 2009/3/16 18:36
  •  Idle_mind
      Idle_mind
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L In my infinite universe
Utada made this for the American audience and she wanted to make money from that market. The only reason I listen to J-pop is to avoid the american music scene and IMO it is much better. I'm not saying I hate this new album. I just want to point out my disappointment that Utada has to fall with the mainstream "crowd" to make money from the american consumer. However, if this album becomes a bridge for the American audience to her other works like Exodus and the Japanese album, then I'm all for it.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 20:03
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Please, J-POP music is not that diffeent from mainstream American music. A lot of these J-Pop artists have sampled and even did duets with American singers.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 20:10
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
Please, J-POP music is not that >different< from mainstream American music. A lot of these J-Pop artists have sampled and even did duets with American singers.

I beg to differ.And so what they do duets?And yes they have sampled many of US works.But I can say in majority,of a different era.Like from 90s' and backwards.90s' is even pushing it.It one thing to say that they take from us,but it's another to say that it isn't improved upon(or attempted to) or made to fit a styling that would interest the initial act's already established fan base.What does them haven done a duet with an american act have anything to do with this album being a tapestry of cliche urban music?The Teriyaki Boyz are actually a very good Urban group that have done many songs with US rap artist but they still define their styling in doing such.Even the american acts that produce with/for even work to make it stand as piece of work you can expect only from them.Ilmar and Ryo-Z's lyrical input even is different from that of their mother group Rip Slyme.And POP stands for POPular music.Pop in Japan actually is relative to artist.Pop here is a genre in which certain marketing gimmicks fall under.Utada and say Orange Range,different influences(very) and different sound due to such,both labeled J-Pop.Utada and say Daughtry will not share a genre here.It's an "alternative",for Daughtry.This means it doesn't sound like Beyonce,Rihanna or Neyo so it isn't the same type of music.Where as this album....is the mirror of the last 3 yrs of the popular urban scene here in the states.They can market this as pop because ppl are familiar with it and will be more excepting.It should(and often does) sell.The "J"-Pop scene though in fact,has artist barring heavy american influence and even american artists,is ever fluctuating.And there is more than enough that gets highlight for you to get a taste of something different each time.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 21:25
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 17/F/CA
Quote:

Idle_mind wrote:
Utada made this for the American audience and she wanted to make money from that market. The only reason I listen to J-pop is to avoid the american music scene and IMO it is much better. I'm not saying I hate this new album. I just want to point out my disappointment that Utada has to fall with the mainstream "crowd" to make money from the american consumer. However, if this album becomes a bridge for the American audience to her other works like Exodus and the Japanese album, then I'm all for it.

agred my dear, agreed.
Posted on: 2009/3/16 22:12
  •  ayehunny
      ayehunny
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 / Female / Sweden
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
Please, J-POP music is not that diffeent from mainstream American music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDR04juzc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7XIc36sXs

this is not VERY different? it's just an example. :p

the only thing both styles have in common is that the songs are catchy and grow on you ^^

and I agree with idle too. I guess she's doing this album because she wants to test something different when she can. but it's too bad she didn't write the songs herself. I mean the music to them. ah well, let's just hope for the best :)
Posted on: 2009/3/16 23:19
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
I dunno. I'm disappointed. I don't think I will even waste money on this album, it's so not my thing. And I love all of her old stuff, but this is just like selling out. I hope she gets her money and fans because this album is the most horrible thing she's ever done.

Take it easy on her, man! Hikki's have something good here so you should supprt her. Oh well, cant win over everyone, can she?
Posted on: 2009/3/17 0:58
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

Lina-chan wrote:
Gah! I'm glad to say that This Is The One IS THE RIGHT ONE album for Americans' taste of music. In other words, Americans are into variety of song genres. Like myself. Anyway, I'd say, I have listened fully but not entirely to all the the songs from this album. Very upbeat and R&B-ish. Of course, she's more of an rnb singer. I'm so gonna get this album ... from Japan!

It doesn't symbolize America's taste....it symbolizes what's f***ing shoved down our throats as cultural diversity.MCML is the about the only song on this entire album that I like so far.I really wish that they would have let her have/she had acts for the freedom that she had for the first album.In fact,I wish it was just her and Timberland again.That was an amazing debut.This album feels very forgettable.Because like you said it mirrors EVERYTHING that America has in it's music scene.

They do let her have her freedom. She writes all the song and does the melodies and stuff. Just chill...
Posted on: 2009/3/17 4:12
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
for those who havent heared the album or for some (like me) that cant purchase the album because of some shipping problems, download it here:

if ur using torrents,:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1832094/3100888/

if u dont have some torrents,:

http://www.4shared.com/file/92655259/f7628ca7/Utada_-_This_Is_The_One_320.html?s=1

or

http://www.4shared.com/file/92670445/ae5c2e2d/Utada-This_Is_the_One-2009.html?s=1

or

http://www.4shared.com/file/92771520/fa4ea3d3/Utada_-_This_Is_The_One.html?s=1
Posted on: 2009/3/17 5:56
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19!!! ???? Philippines
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
I dunno. I'm disappointed. I don't think I will even waste money on this album, it's so not my thing. And I love all of her old stuff, but this is just like selling out. I hope she gets her money and fans because this album is the most horrible thing she's ever done.

i think thisis not the most horrible/least thing that she have done .. i think exodus is...
Posted on: 2009/3/17 5:59
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...56789101112>