<12345...12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Re: This Is The One Discussion
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
I just don't understand why people think she is selling out. She already has more than enough money, and she said in that one interview that she doesn't care if people download her music illegally. So she has no reason to sell out, so why would she? I'm going to just take her word for it and say that she probably just got really bored doing the same old kind of music. Its like why Alanis Morrissette did that My Humps song. She said that she was tired of doing dark songs and wanted to do something fun. The difference is that Utada made an entire album and it wasn't a parody.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 16:59
  •  ssigman
      ssigman
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

Rotaryknight wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:
People throw around the term "sell-out" not knowing what it really means. It's funny.

Um, apparently you don't know what it means. Utada sold out. She created this album ONLY to sell albums in America. It's pertty obvious.

She created an album to sell in American AND she had fun making. As she said in an interview, she insisted she wrote her own music and lyrics, so her essence came through.

Sell-out means you are selling out your personal convictions/beliefs. Utada has not done that. "Sell-out" does not mean "she did something I didn't like!"

You don't have to like it, but no need to spread lies.

(And, hello, she's obviously influenced by 90's pop/R&B. Oh noes, her entire career is a sell-out!)

I agree, many people throw out the "sold out" phrase like its nothing.
many people think she "sold out" just because its not her usual "j-popness"....what kind of thinking is that. Artist evolve, if they didnt, then they are the same bland artist as the hundreds of thousands out there.

just because its mainstream, she sold out? Wtf is that. Shes mainstream in Japan, did she sell out there, hell no. As Sonja said, she is hugely influenced by R&B, which is why this album is R&B like
http://www.emimusic.jp/hikki/gallery/main02_e.htm

This is why she is one of my favorite artist, she is influenced by all kinds of music, just like me. I dont discriminated music, music is music, its the universal langauge.

You are missing the point.We are disappointed...well at least I'M disappointed by the fact that this sounds like such a familiar sound to me.You stand out by blending in?I can't see how this is gonna work for her.That's a contradiction....but to be fair I often do forget about Precious.But I actually liked the majority of that album.This however...I can say now about 4 out of 10 songs I can enjoy.But even with those I felt that some of the lyrics was a compromise for the market.Because Utada hasn't did it before doesn't mean I haven't heard it before.This is my problem.

There you have it, by someone who can probably say it better than me. It is a sell out if she changes her style to fit the majority of american style. In Japan there doesn't seem to be a "style" of music that is popular."Pop" over there goes from Utada to Ayumi to Yui to High and Mighty Color to whatever. It ranges in "genres" of music, all considered pop because they are POPular.

Listening to it again, I do like some songs. Popin is my favorite, and I don't mind CBTM, and MCML, but those are about it. And those don't even really stand out in terms of style, they are just the ones I sort of like. The rest is just like the rest of music out here in american music land.

I agree that artists are always evolving, but this is not evolving. She is blantantly making something FOR the american market, and therefore, she is selling out. Some people need to understand what it means.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 16:43
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Rotaryknight wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:
People throw around the term "sell-out" not knowing what it really means. It's funny.

Um, apparently you don't know what it means. Utada sold out. She created this album ONLY to sell albums in America. It's pertty obvious.

She created an album to sell in American AND she had fun making. As she said in an interview, she insisted she wrote her own music and lyrics, so her essence came through.

Sell-out means you are selling out your personal convictions/beliefs. Utada has not done that. "Sell-out" does not mean "she did something I didn't like!"

(And, hello, she's obviously influenced by 90's pop/R&B. Oh noes, her entire career is a sell-out!)

many people think she "sold out" just because its not her usual "j-popness"....what kind of thinking is that. Artist evolve, if they didnt, then they are the same bland artist as the hundreds of thousands out there.

just because its mainstream, she sold out? Wtf is that. Shes mainstream in Japan, did she sell out there, hell no. As Sonja said, she is hugely influenced by R&B, which is why this album is R&B like

This is why she is one of my favorite artist, she is influenced by all kinds of music, just like me. I dont discriminated music, music is music, its the universal langauge.

You are missing the point.We are disappointed...well at least I'M disappointed by the fact that this sounds like such a familiar sound to me.You stand out by blending in?I can't see how this is gonna work for her.That's a contradiction....but to be fair I often do forget about Precious.But I actually liked the majority of that album.This however...I can say now about 4 out of 10 songs I can enjoy.But even with those I felt that some of the lyrics was a compromise for the market.Because Utada hasn't did it before doesn't mean I haven't heard it before.This is my problem.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 16:35
  •  STrying
      STrying
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 20, F, Columbus OH
This album is alright, not her best. I hope it gets her into an american audience, but she should have released a different single first. As stated many times, On and On would have been better, but in my opinion, Poppin would have been a really cool single to start out with.

I just imagine a 20's video, and it's so catchy I think people would respond to it better. XD
Posted on: 2009/3/19 14:42
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 17/F/Mars
Guys, Utada is on VH1 and MTV's sites now. We need to really watch the video to give it views. And we definitely need to vote her on VH1's Top 20 countdown. I've done it a bunch already, but we need more people to do it too!

I really think if this album gets into the limelight, everyone will fall in love with the songs. We just have to let people be able to hear it first.

I'm gonna go email even more of my radio stations. And I will continue to vote vote vote on the countdowns.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 8:31
  •  pug_pugnacious
      pug_pugnacious
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
This album is hyper-addictive!!! I think Hikki wants us to sing along to the songs day and night! She truly achieved what she wanted with this is the one, its unbelievably catchy and fun, but with a tint of melancholy (on songs like this one and A&C). definitely has huge potential to become a top-seller in the US, if only def jam would promote her more!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/19 2:19
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 24/m/Philadelphia
Quote:

Sonja wrote:
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/18 14:08
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20 / F / Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
Quote:

Sonja wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/18 11:00
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
From my own personal standpoint, as much as I enjoy her experimental work, I feel like I can understand why she went with a more mainstream sound. I don't know if this is a good example but oh well, here goes.

Say for example, some guy just graduated college and he has this crazy unconventional look. After doing interviews with several different employers, he may potentially be hired by this one law firm. Now, if the guy wants to get ahead in life, he is going to have to change his look to be more "acceptable" by the general population. Only after he gains a reputation of being a really good worker can he go back to being unconventional looking.

That's what I feel Utada is doing. She is getting herself noticed by the general public by doing something a bit more mainstream. After she has people's attention, she can then do something a bit different and more people will listen to it because they know of her. Don't forget that her breakout album in Japan wasn't an experimental album. The experimental stuff came out after she had garnered lots of attention.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 9:28
  •  ssigman
      ssigman
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

Sonja wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/18 8:32
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345...12>