'This Is The One' Discussion

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456...12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: This Is The One Discussion
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20 / F / Philadelphia, PA
"Come Back To Me" is doing much better than "Devil Inside," "Easy Breezy," or "Exodus '04". In fact, it's doing quite well, and it's only been out for, what, a month? I wouldn't have picked it as a first single either, but Utada and IDJ apparently know what they're doing this time around.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 7:46
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Taiyou wrote:
I have yet to listened to the full album, but I can't help but to notice these posts. Stating that J-pop [even though it's technically not considered a musical genre] surpasses all types of music is a rather scary and close-minded thing to say. Just because it's being dished out in America and has gained some recognition doesn't mean it's bad. Not every single song from J-pop artist consist of thought-provoking lyrics and magnificent compositions. And the Japanese music industry is just as guilty as the American music industry when it comes to being concerned with image. The world is guilty of this.

I'm tired of typing "J-pop". And let the woman take whatever direction she wants to take. Of course, the art itself should always be the top priority among those who consider themselves musicians. Yet, i'm sure even you would like and be willing to make some profit out of something you love and want to know if you appealed to an audience.

The whole point is I don't think this album does enough to gain profit.Practically anyone that heard Exodus loved it(that I know personally).I mean I was shocked at how many people that actually got a hold of it.I was an established Utada fan at the time,but she just wasn't a topic that I shared with them.That album drew in an audience by itself(though not big enough obviously).This....and partly due to how it's being released as well,absolutely has to be publicized until someone says "Hey!I heard something like this before!I rather enjoy this!".This album also makes me feel like she isolated herself(unknowingly or simply because she doesn't listen to much of late) of the US music mainstream.and Methe is also right imo,This first single doesn't do anything in my eyes to draw in attention.Any of the later Exodus singles could have been the first.Devil Inside could have been marketed as main/club.I pretty sure it would have worked out.Come back to me sounds so similar to what I've been hearing all my life.I live in friggin' Brooklyn,NY.The culture here is practically the cesspool in which this stuff is always thrown into and is eaten up.It's quite disappointing.With that said,"On and On"...I must say I think would have done the job.I'm actually coming around on that song.It's not at all original.But it is indeed enjoyable.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 5:16
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
I've heard 2 full Ne-yo albums.It's one thing to realize that she shares the producers with him,but it's another to feel as though they recycled something they gave him.

1."On and On" -Tricky Stewart-
2."Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI" -Stargate-
4."Taking My Money Back" -Tricky Stewart-
3."Apple And Cinnamon" -Stargate-
5."This One (Crying Like a Child)" -Stargate-
6."Automatic Part II" -Tricky Stewart-
7."Dirty Desire" -Tricky Stewart-
8."Poppin'" -Stargate-
9."Come Back to Me" -Stargate-
10."Me Muero" -Stargate-

Hikki101.....where do you see Utada as producing any of these tracks?

This is the One

There is the wiki link to check for yourself.We'll both have the album soon.So we can check the credits there too.If I'm wrong I'll apologize for blaming her producers.I'll just blame her for her laps in judgment :D

I didnt say that she produced the song, I just said that she writes all her songs. If you know Hikki at all, then you know that she writes all her material.

*facepalm* My argument is not upon the lyrical input persay,it more about the mixing and arranging.Of course,I know she writes/produces and very often masters her own music.That's the only way I would had an argument at all -_-
Posted on: 2009/3/18 4:47
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
"People throw around the term "sell-out" not knowing what it really means. It's funny."

I know right
Posted on: 2009/3/17 21:35
  •  methegirl3
      methegirl3
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

ssigman wrote:
I don't need to take it easy on her. This album is a HUGE disappointment. If this is what she wants to do, she should go for it, but I'm not going to be listening anymore. And I know I'm not the only one here. Just because I love all of her previous stuff doesn't mean I have to love everything she does just because it was her. She sold out, did a mainstream american style (which is pure s***) so she could make money. My respect has gone down. She should have continued doing music for music's sake, not to make money in our musically retarded culture.

Even though she has said in many interviews that she wanted to make "good pop", I think it's very obvious that she set out to test American musical waters and try to conquer it and she will probably break out into mainstream music with this crap. Congratulations.

Well said!

I honestly don't think this album will make it in the US, and it's because of her choice of breakout singles. IMO,her biggest mistake in both English albums is her breakout single. Exodus - Easy Breezy? Meh, weak. A stronger hit would be Kremlin Dusk, which was so kickass, although it was weak in the beginning and only got to being sick in the middle.

TITO - Come Back To Me? This song is too boring to catch on to anyone's ears, especially you're only given 3-4 minutes amidst all the hip hop and clubbin' songs on the radio. I think TITO would make a stronger hit with her "ai-yie-yie", or On and On. On and On starts off strong.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 20:03
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20 / F / Philadelphia, PA
People throw around the term "sell-out" not knowing what it really means. It's funny.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 19:19
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I have yet to listened to the full album, but I can't help but to notice these posts. Stating that J-pop [even though it's technically not considered a musical genre] surpasses all types of music is a rather scary and close-minded thing to say. Just because it's being dished out in America and has gained some recognition doesn't mean it's bad. Not every single song from J-pop artist consist of thought-provoking lyrics and magnificent compositions. And the Japanese music industry is just as guilty as the American music industry when it comes to being concerned with image. The world is guilty of this.

I'm tired of typing "J-pop". And let the woman take whatever direction she wants to take. Of course, the art itself should always be the top priority among those who consider themselves musicians. Yet, i'm sure even you would like and be willing to make some profit out of something you love and want to know if you appealed to an audience.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 19:08
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 17/F/Mars
I'm surprised how much I love the song "This one (Crying Like A Child)". It's so pretty. I usually dislike the chorus of any song, yet in this one, I can't wait till it starts.

The background is so good. It totally seems like a hit in the US. And if it isn't, again, it's because the distributors failed to do so.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 17:04
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
I've heard 2 full Ne-yo albums.It's one thing to realize that she shares the producers with him,but it's another to feel as though they recycled something they gave him.

1."On and On" -Tricky Stewart-
2."Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI" -Stargate-
4."Taking My Money Back" -Tricky Stewart-
3."Apple And Cinnamon" -Stargate-
5."This One (Crying Like a Child)" -Stargate-
6."Automatic Part II" -Tricky Stewart-
7."Dirty Desire" -Tricky Stewart-
8."Poppin'" -Stargate-
9."Come Back to Me" -Stargate-
10."Me Muero" -Stargate-

Hikki101.....where do you see Utada as producing any of these tracks?

This is the One

There is the wiki link to check for yourself.We'll both have the album soon.So we can check the credits there too.If I'm wrong I'll apologize for blaming her producers.I'll just blame her for her laps in judgment :D

I didnt say that she produced the song, I just said that she writes all her songs. If you know Hikki at all, then you know that she writes all her material.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 16:52
  •  ssigman
      ssigman
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I guess that's your opinion, but in mine, Exodus was more pure and musically more complex and beautiful than This Is the One could ever hope for.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 15:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456...12>