<123456>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  driftingsymfony
      driftingsymfony
Re: Utada Live Performance on KTLA Morning News
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 21/M/Sacramento-Los Angeles
We can't really tell if she did well on "me muero" and "FYI", this is cause they simply showed a 15 sec clip .. then hit commercial.

The only song she sang all the way was CBTM, however, she sang a shortened version (only sang the 2nd half of the song) ... This is probably because KTLA was running out of air-time.

As for her performance, America is VERY VERY HARSH... and with a single like "CBTM" she'd be instantly compared ... In Sacramento, she's already compared to Leona Lewis on the radio ... On Youtube, people are comparing her to Mariah and on the L.A. Times they are comparing her to Alicia Keys.

With so much at sake, and with much racial discrimination against Asian Americans in the States, if she's not Perfect, she'd pretty much get bashed all over.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 10:45
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I disagree. Yes, America CAN be harsh, and yes, there's definitely a LOT of discrimination, particularly in the music industry (I'm actually writing a paper about that), but I just don't think it will hurt Utada all that much. I'm not naive enough to think that people will think she was amazing or praise her as the greatest singer ever for this performance, but what's going to happen is that a lot of people are going to become curious. They're going to wonder, if she's being compared to all these people, shouldn't be able to sing like them? Well, Utada CAN, she just didn't in this case- but when they look her up on YouTube or Google, they're going to find loads of her live appearances where she sings like an angel, even if she's sick or her voice has been wrecked after hours of performing. It's kind of the basic philosophy of "any publicity is good publicity." People know her name and know that she TRIED. When they see that she can also succeed, they're only going to become more interested in her. This negative situation can also have positive aspects- we shouldn't deny them just because we're used to seeing things in black and white. :3

Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/3/24 10:53
  •  fanforeverFx2
      fanforeverFx2
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
I disagree. Yes, America CAN be harsh, and yes, there's definitely a LOT of discrimination, particularly in the music industry (I'm actually writing a paper about that), but I just don't think it will hurt Utada all that much. I'm not naive enough to think that people will think she was amazing or praise her as the greatest singer ever for this performance, but what's going to happen is that a lot of people are going to become curious. They're going to wonder, if she's being compared to all these people, shouldn't be able to sing like them? Well, Utada CAN, she just didn't in this case- but when they look her up on YouTube or Google, they're going to find loads of her live appearances where she sings like an angel, even if she's sick or her voice has been wrecked after hours of performing. It's kind of the basic philosophy of "any publicity is good publicity." People know her name and know that she TRIED. When they see that she can also succeed, they're only going to become more interested in her. This negative situation can also have positive aspects- we shouldn't deny them just because we're used to seeing things in black and white. :3

Shuri/Eli

well said/typed, being compared to other successful singers can also give her an advantage as well if people think about it. I guess it has more to do with people's curiosity in this case
Posted on: 2009/3/24 11:01
  •  fresh_mochi310
      fresh_mochi310
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 2009/M/Los Angeles
I'm interested in watching her taping at KIIS FM with Seacrest yesterday where conditions seem more relaxed.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 11:18
  •  blitzfish
      blitzfish
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 18 Male Hartford, WI
It's on youtube. I just did a search for Utada Live... and set the criteria to today. it should work if you type Utada KTLA also!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/24 11:48
  •  fanforeverFx2
      fanforeverFx2
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
It's hard to tell if she have done poorly as others described because of the quality of the video so I'll just assume she did her best. I can't stop enjoying TITO now that it is out digitally anyway
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:00
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 20/balitmore/M
man i am mad ktla rashed hir they cut hir song and she did not have no time to get into hir song that sucked macking hir harry like that
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:07
  •  fanforeverFx2
      fanforeverFx2
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

fanforeverFx2 wrote:
It's hard to tell if she have done poorly as others described because of the quality of the video so I'll just assume she did her best. I can't stop enjoying TITO now that it is out digitally anyway

Almost forgot to mention, who watches the morning news anyway, except maybe addicted fans of hikki when she performed on U.S tv
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:14
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Just watched it. Although the video quality was crappy, I was listening to her voice. It was DEFINITELY nerves that knocked her off pitch. It's really obvious. It sounds just like someone who's nervous doing karaoke. But other than that, she really didn't do that badly at all. She also hit a lot of the really hard notes. I was surprised that it was most of the easier notes that she was having trouble keeping steady with. For instance, she hit, "Take it easy on me!" fine, but then she was having trouble with lines like, "I admit I cheated," which is pretty straightforward. But it wasn't like she was having trouble hitting high notes. She was just having trouble keeping her voice steady.
But is it just me, or did anyone else think her voice already sounded kind of messed up when she was answering the woman's questions? Maybe that was also nervousness, but it seemed to be really low and timid for her. Usually her voice is more affirmative and commanding, but while she was talking to the woman, I almost thought she was just ready to cry or something. That's how it sounded to me.
I have to say, the whole KTLA thing in general was just really weird. :/

Kisses & Cuddles,
Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:25
  •  KeepTryin87
      KeepTryin87
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 22/F/Atlanta, GA USA
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting by reading ya'll post's, I think they should have played FYI, she sounded best in that song. CBTM was a little rough, maybe she didn't warmup as much as usual. She tried her best...Hikki we are pulling for you!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>