<123456>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  driftingsymfony
      driftingsymfony
Re: Utada Live Performance on KTLA Morning News
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 21/M/Sacramento-Los Angeles
Of course one performance may not hurt her ... but it does leave impressions.
Keep in mind that Utada fans, like ourselves will be supportive of her no matter what. But, others may not see it this way.

Most of the comments on itunes and youtube have been from Utada fans, or those who knew of Utada's music prior to "CBTM". In the weeks and months to come there will be definite opposition and harsh criticism (Look at BoA, she's already facing major criticism and it's only been a week since her debut)

All in all, Utada's management is going to need to do a lot more promotion. After this week, we'll see how much of an impression she'd make on the general crowd, but it's not easy to break into the U.S. Market.

(Lady Gaga's hit single spent an entire year unnoticed, Keri Hilson had to release 3 singles until she made a hit, etc etc etc etc )

I hope Utada spends more time in the States and realizes that she kind of has to stick around and push for her success here. Of course, as she's stated in interviews, I'm not sure if "major success" in the U.S. is really what she's looking for.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:53
  •  fanforeverFx2
      fanforeverFx2
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

driftingsymfony wrote:
Of course one performance may not hurt her ... but it does leave impressions.
Keep in mind that Utada fans, like ourselves will be supportive of her no matter what. But, others may not see it this way.

Most of the comments on itunes and youtube have been from Utada fans, or those who knew of Utada's music prior to "CBTM". In the weeks and months to come there will be definite opposition and harsh criticism (Look at BoA, she's already facing major criticism and it's only been a week since her debut)

All in all, Utada's management is going to need to do a lot more promotion. After this week, we'll see how much of an impression she'd make on the general crowd, but it's not easy to break into the U.S. Market.

(Lady Gaga's hit single spent an entire year unnoticed, Keri Hilson had to release 3 singles until she made a hit, etc etc etc etc )

I hope Utada spends more time in the States and realizes that she kind of has to stick around and push for her success here. Of course, as she's stated in interviews, I'm not sure if "major success" in the U.S. is really what she's looking for.

It's not end of the world for hikki, I just hope having beautiful skin can help her out in the Sephora events that are coming up And if Boa is having a hard time, than it just might make hikki look better in different levels. Dominating the competition is not probably what she wants but better than nothing I guess. Lastly I hope the U.S market treats her fairly when all things are said and done.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 13:07
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
I just listened to the performance and I was cringing the entire time. Granted the video's quality sucked, but she was definitely off. To me it sounded like nerves rather than just bad singing. I hope she learns from this performance and improves. Of course, we as her fans know her true ability. However I am worried about all the people who listened to that performance and what they will think about her. Granted stars like Fergie and Katy Perry very rarely sing well live and they are doing okay. Anyways, I will keep wishing for the best!
Posted on: 2009/3/24 13:25
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
yea i guess she was kinda nervous, cuz she never did perform in america b4, but its not that bad, i think she did pretty ok lolz =D

and for those of u haven't see it yet here is the link:

http://www.ktla.com/landing_morningnews_clip/?Japanese-Superstar-Utada-Makes-American-=1&blockID=248090&feedID=2240

and omg can't belive she is gonna be in sephora in hollywood today!!! i wish i can go see her...........
Posted on: 2009/3/24 14:20
  •  loli-drop
      loli-drop
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/F/London
i dont think the problem was with her singing, just the breathing, that pause between 'nothing i can do or say... can change the past'.

she seems to kind of calm down again towards the end so hopefully if you dont know the song you wouldnt notice :)
Posted on: 2009/3/24 18:09
  •  cutelilme
      cutelilme
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/F/NYC =)
she did appear to have some difficulty reaching the higher notes of the song and that pause between "nothing i can do or say... can change the past"... made it seem like she was out of breath
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:07
  •  CubicUtada
      CubicUtada
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
i just came back from hollywood where utada was. utada was adorable and pretty good live but the service there was horrible. they didnt let us in because we were late. i think they were really unprepared but well done utada
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:54
  •  fanforeverFx2
      fanforeverFx2
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Quote:

cutelilme wrote:
she did appear to have some difficulty reaching the higher notes of the song and that pause between "nothing i can do or say... can change the past"... made it seem like she was out of breath

No matter how many times I've listened to the performance, it seemed as if she was struggling with the chorus maybe because it became overwhelming as it echo the studio at 2:32 of the video, drowning her singing quite literally. Personally, I blame the technology she was stuck with in those circumstances because she started out well till the chorus came in and threw her off course. Knowing this, I'll have to say Hikki didn't do so bad hoping her performance on Ryan Seacrest show and the other up coming Sephora events will do her plenty good.

Hikki much love
Posted on: 2009/3/24 21:01
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 23/F/Chicago
I didn't think she did too bad, just the problems with the high notes, and that one spot where she stumbled on the lyrics. I'm betting it was cause it was so early in the morning and she probably didn't warm up (enough?). Utada's voice is much stronger in the mid and lower ranges anyhow.

I used to sing in chorus in school and the first thing you learn when you have early morning practice is that warming up for a good 15-20min is key, specially for the higher ranges.
Posted on: 2009/3/25 0:54
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
Nice shortened performance. Hoping she pikes other people's interests soon
Posted on: 2009/3/25 1:11
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>