•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  ganbaru_80
      ganbaru_80
Promotion, at the grassroots level
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Hey all out there in UtadaNet-Land,

I'm a new user, but long time reader of this site. I just wanted to throw in my two cents about how we, as Utada fans, can better support our girl in the run for US exposure. As many have griped, her IDJ creative/promo team isn't doing the best work they could be (e.g. the album cover art & font, the Sephora venues, etc.). But the lucky thing for us is that the culture of music promotion in the US has changed dramatically within the last couple decades. We're now in the age filled with tons of technological resources that allow normal people like you and I to get the word out about artists we care about.

Case in point: Lady GaGa gained a massive buzz among the underground music scene and blogsphere long before she even started climbing the Billboard charts. People were blogging about her shows, her leaked songs, her image, and who this little club kid girl was -- and that ultimately spread her name and reputation around like a virus among those who "weren't in the know." She's a strong example of how combination promotion (from the record company side, and the fan-based side) worked together to create one huge pop culture phenomenon.

What I'm trying advocate here is that we start working together to come up with creative ways of promoting Utada -- using the many venues that are available to us. Things like how we can spread the word about Utada (and *not* Utada Hikaru) through our friends, music and pop culture blogs, youtube, review and gossip sites, and posting up banners on our own . We've been good at the radio request thing, and keeping track of the numbers there. But there are countless other venues we need to hit *in conjunction with* the airwaves.

What do you think? Sound off!
Posted on: 2009/3/26 8:26
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Re: Promotion, at the grassroots level
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
SOUND F'IN GREAT!!! LETS DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/27 3:19
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Please post at the proper place for this thread thanks.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 3:31
Administrator
A/S/L
Quote:

ganbaru_80 wrote:

We've been good at the radio request thing, and keeping track of the numbers there. But there are countless other venues we need to hit *in conjunction with* the airwaves.

So any thoughts on what else we can do?
Posted on: 2009/3/27 4:12
  •  NGBear
      NGBear
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 17/Male/London
Well I've told all my friends about her and im trying to convince my headteacher to put her song Merry Christmas Mr Laurence - FYI as the pips around our school, which bascally means that when the lesson is over we get to hear a 45 sec clip of the song before we go to next lesson
Posted on: 2009/3/27 11:46
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
^That sounds like a great idea

I'm sure the fans in Seattle are thinking of promoting her in many ways too. I should hook up with them...
Posted on: 2009/3/27 14:48
  •  autumnmycat
      autumnmycat
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 21/F/OH
I've been telling all my friends to download the free music video and to just listen to her songs if nothing else. I was singing Dirty Desire at school and someone turns and is like, "I think I've heard that somewhere!" It was like the best moment of my life. XDDD No, not really.

I've also been posting random bulletins on myspace. Whether people look at them, I don't know. Hopefully, I'm helping a little bit.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 17:05
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
I just posted a reply in a Kingdom hearts topic on gamefaqs.com where they were talking about how awesome the game is.

I slipped in the fact that TITO was released on itunes and said that they should check it out.

Dunno if anyone will check it out but considering how the majority of her American fans rose out of KH, I'd say there's a pretty good chance.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 17:38
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Quote:

NGBear wrote:
Well I've told all my friends about her and im trying to convince my headteacher to put her song Merry Christmas Mr Laurence - FYI as the pips around our school, which bascally means that when the lesson is over we get to hear a 45 sec clip of the song before we go to next lesson

wow tats pretty kewl yo

well basically i'm just posting updates on my fansite and on my other profile lolz =/ tats about it lolz
Posted on: 2009/3/27 23:37
  •  KeepTryin87
      KeepTryin87
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 22/F/Atlanta, GA USA
Perhaps I will make fliers and put them all over campus!
Posted on: 2009/3/28 15:07
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>