Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  DarkFenrir
      DarkFenrir
This Is The One Promo
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I love This album, at first it was kinda iffy but now I am in love. But one thing really bothers me. The kind of promotion it's getting is just not enough imo. Sure it's alot better than Exodus which had 0 promotion but it Still is not good enough. The Sephora events went pretty well, but c'mon IDJ a little make up store?

All the inverviews have been nice(despite being asked the exact same questions) but why not have her on a bigger national stage, late night shows, Kimmel, Leno, Fallen(makes me cringe) Even crazy ass Tyra. Have her do some damn mtv or vh1 and Ofcourse a tour would be awesome.
Posted on: 2009/3/31 13:49
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Re: This Is The One Promo
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Argh, I typed up a big long reply but then my login timed out.

There are a couple things we have to keep in mind about promotion: one is that Utada's management has just as much a say in her promotion as IDJ does. IDJ is mostly in charge of appealing to radio station directors, working with retailers and buy advertisements. The kind of promotion you're talking about, the personal appearances and performances, are most often negotiated by the artist's management, though the label can have a hand in that as well (like providing media contacts, etc).

Also keep in mind that there really are negotiations behind all this. Utada's team has to convince media outlets to have her on--- and when there's big names like Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie and Beyonce knocking on the door, do you really think a total unknown who doesn't have any big hits stands a chance? The "she's huge in Japan" story only goes so far.

Which is why it's imperative that the song continues to grow at radio. That way Hikki's team can have a hit song to leverage into more promo: Utada goes from "girl you've never heard of but is apparently big in Japan" to "Utada who does that hit song that your viewers/readers have heard on the radio!"

I think, all things considered, Hikki's promo has been solid so far. IDJ has marketed "Come Back to Me" aggressively at radio and the Sephora events have turned out to be a great idea that even inadvertantly got her onto Z100. Hopefully it continues to snowball into bigger and bigger things as time goes on.
Posted on: 2009/3/31 15:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic