Poster Thread
  •  eni-san
      eni-san
Re: Worried For This Isn
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L it's a secret
Quote:

Macdan wrote:

anyway, personally I am not worried because, even some of my friend who are not into Hikki, or even English music came and told me that TITO is good... and they liked it... I somehow feel that there will be new fans...

When I was listening to TITO on Hikki's imeem.com profile, I looked down at the comments at the bottom of the page. There were quite a few people who said that they'd never heard her music before but that they really liked it.
Posted on: 2009/4/12 6:59
  •  hikki_is_my_homegirl
      hikki_is_my_homegirl
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 30-US
I'm def. a fan, i got my 13 yr old niece into her, yay and she just told me she went to stay with a friend and had her friend you tube all her videos so now her friend is into her. so maybe i should be more optimistic about this. it is a great album so maybe it will be the one :)
Posted on: 2009/4/12 9:01
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Quote:

hikki_is_my_homegirl wrote:
I'm def. a fan, i got my 13 yr old niece into her, yay and she just told me she went to stay with a friend and had her friend you tube all her videos so now her friend is into her. so maybe i should be more optimistic about this. it is a great album so maybe it will be the one :)

Yesss. Thinking about stuff like this makes me believe that it's also up to us, the fans, to also spread the word!! We should also have an influence on Utada's career, too. If the radio stations and media are going to provide us the butter, we should only help spread it futher and wider, right?? I believe that's like taking the next step in really supporting her aside from just buying her CDs and merchandise.

Yeah, i always go up to my friends and like, "Oh, i heard this song and these lyrics reminded me of you!" or "Listen to this cause i think you'd like it." Stuff like that. Glad to know you got yer 13 year old niece into her. :D
Posted on: 2009/4/12 15:13
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
well personally i'm not really worried about it cuz in my book TITO is the best english album hikki has ever made, n plus is the american ppl and the way they sell/promote stuff, just cuz she is asian................
Posted on: 2009/4/13 0:37
  •  Truten
      Truten
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/UK
Two words...

LADY GAGA

Just how long did it take her reach stardom? Just Dance and the Fame was released in early 2008 and it took her until the end of the year to actually get her name known. Everyone needs to remember that Utada is still unknown and considered a "new" artist even though she has released an album before hand.

She's received excellent promotion, debuted on the Pop 100 the airplay is good and everyone she has meet on her promtions seem to have good opinions and think she'll make it big. So we just have to wait and see.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 1:45
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
There is no reason for any of us to 'worry' about Utada.

I know we all like to think of IDJ as this all-powerful company that can get its way, but let's not use them as an easy scapegoat and get real here-- becoming big and huge and famous is a matter of catching lightning in a bottle: even with major label backing and great material, it's all about timing and circumstances, which are often out of anyone's control.

Whether This is the One 'catches on' is all a matter of luck at this point.

What was so frustrating about Exodus wasn't just that it flopped, but that it felt like there wasn't a whole lot of effort being put into it. Well, from what we've seen so far with This is the One, this time IDJ certainly has put in a decent effort. As long as this keeps up Utada's in good standing.

It's silly to worry about the album's success. What matters is that no matter what happens, we can say that Utada, IDJ and we the fans gave it a good shot.

I'm going to repost what I put in another thread about how promotion works, so we can all understand why Utada isn't suddenly appearing on the cover of magazines and such:

Quote:
There are a couple things we have to keep in mind about promotion: one is that Utada's management has just as much a say in her promotion as IDJ does. IDJ is mostly in charge of appealing to radio station directors, working with retailers and buy advertisements. The kind of promotion you're talking about, the personal appearances and performances, are most often negotiated by the artist's management, though the label can have a hand in that as well (like providing media contacts, etc).

Also keep in mind that there really are negotiations behind all this. Utada's team has to convince media outlets to have her on--- and when there's big names like Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie and Beyonce knocking on the door, do you really think a total unknown who doesn't have any big hits stands a chance? The "she's huge in Japan" story only goes so far.

Which is why it's imperative that the song continues to grow at radio. That way Hikki's team can have a hit song to leverage into more promo: Utada goes from "girl you've never heard of but is apparently big in Japan" to "Utada who does that hit song that your viewers/readers have heard on the radio!"

I think, all things considered, Hikki's promo has been solid so far. IDJ has marketed "Come Back to Me" aggressively at radio and the Sephora events have turned out to be a great idea that even inadvertantly got her onto Z100. Hopefully it continues to snowball into bigger and bigger things as time goes on.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 13:09
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Quote:

Truten wrote:
Two words...

LADY GAGA

Just how long did it take her reach stardom? Just Dance and the Fame was released in early 2008 and it took her until the end of the year to actually get her name known. Everyone needs to remember that Utada is still unknown and considered a "new" artist even though she has released an album before hand.

She's received excellent promotion, debuted on the Pop 100 the airplay is good and everyone she has meet on her promtions seem to have good opinions and think she'll make it big. So we just have to wait and see.

Homg, that's such a good point. T__T If Lady Gaga made it big within one year, then i think Utada DEFINITELY has a good shot too!! And in one of Utada's radio interviews (i think it was KISS FM ?? Correct me if i'm wrong please) a listener mentioned that Lady Gaga's interview was "God-awful" and thought that "this chick (Utada) seems fun! (unlike Lady Gaga)". Then the DJs of that radio station did go further into that and said how much of a pleasure it was to have someone like Utada be on their station for an interview (cause she's so humble and stuff. Also, no judgin' Lady Gaga on my part, just quoting something i heard X'3). Everyone that had interviews with her think that she's going to be big, so why shouldn't we, the fans, think so too?@ But yes, indeed, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for my response to scott_o_k's comment -- you seem to be very knowledgable about how this promotion stuff works!! Radio promotion especially. :D Thanks for all you've got to say. Your two cents remind me to look at things at face value too, not just be hopeful in a blind sense.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 15:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123