The Japan Times : CD review for Utada "This is the One"
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Japantimes.co.id article

LISTENING POST
CD REVIEW
Utada "This is the One"

By DANIEL ROBSON
Staff Writer

While Hikaru Utada boasts the No. 1, 4 and 8 biggest-selling albums in Japanese history, and despite her New York upbringing and strong English, her 2004 stab at Western success fell embarrassingly flat. That album, "Exodus," was a flawed masterpiece ? sonically original, but too left-field, moody and haphazard to dent the U.S. charts.

Read the whole article
Japan Times : CD Review "This is the One"
Posted on: 2009/4/12 20:49
Re: The Japan Times : CD review for Utada "This is the One"
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
...Bleh. Bad review. I could type up some arguments but then again something in me tells me that it isn't worth getting upset over. :'B

I completely disagree with it being 100% bland and predictable though.
Posted on: 2009/4/12 21:02
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
thx for sharing ^^

bad article tho lolz
Posted on: 2009/4/12 23:52
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Bad review.... but it also give a free promotion about her album
Posted on: 2009/4/13 1:18
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Flipping out bad artical!
Quote:
Is this what it takes to find Stateside success? Whoring yourself both musically and lyrically?

The dude needs to get himself an ear and a brain to say THAT about our Hikki...
Posted on: 2009/4/13 2:36
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
... yeah. scratch that.

I 100% disagree with the WHOLE REVIEW. >_>

But, hey, at least we all know now what kind of bad reviews we're up against. We'll keep fightin' them because we can take it on. ;B ...Largely because these reviews writers don't seem to do their research right. THey're all automatic idiots to me.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 13:32
  •  eni-san
      eni-san
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L it's a secret
there's a bright side to this: the album is getting talked about. if someone reads this review they might be compelled to at least listen to the album online and judge for themselves. and if they're anything like us, they'll eventually buy TITO and love it.

i'll admit, she has some racy lyrics...but it's not as bad as it could be.

these people can't be satisfied. they say that Exodus was too left-field and experimental to be a hit in the US, then when she does something more mainstream, they say it's too "predictable." come on people, what do you want?

(i always say this...but how is rhyming "innocent" with "cinnamon" predictable? this guy obviously didn't listen very closely... )

ok, i'm getting off my soapbox now...lol
Posted on: 2009/4/13 15:19
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
I agree with some points of the review. This stuff just isn't what I'm used to from Hikaru but even she said that she was going for a mainstream sound. When I let my friends listen to Come Back To Me for the first time, all of em liked it. Even my best friend who is pretty much only into metal and rock and shit. I thought, "Nooo... If he likes it, there's something wrong. xD" I dunno. That was just my thought when it first came out. Don't get me wrong, I love the songs it's just I feel it isn't totally her on this album. Almost as if, and I hate myself for saying it, she sold out. But I don't think she really (censored)d it up. I mean, One Night Magic was all about having an affair with her best friend's lover, right? But hey, if she gets big here with TITO then I bet she'll be incorporating her own style into is as well. Probably more of her own stuff than anything but still stuff that she knows Americans will like while holding true to herself. I still think she did hold true to herself since she wrote the lyrics... Well, I guess I've gone on far enough. Later.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 18:58
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

~Billy<3'sHikki~ wrote:
I love the songs it's just I feel it isn't totally her on this album. Almost as if, and I hate myself for saying it, she sold out. But I don't think she really (censored)d it up. I mean, One Night Magic was all about having an affair with her best friend's lover, right? But hey, if she gets big here with TITO then I bet she'll be incorporating her own style into is as well. Probably more of her own stuff than anything but still stuff that she knows Americans will like while holding true to herself. I still think she did hold true to herself since she wrote the lyrics...

She didnt sell out, nessessary, she just wanted to explore going mainstream in the states. that doesnt mean selling out...
Posted on: 2009/4/14 3:34
  •  loli-drop
      loli-drop
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/F/London
Quote:
"During my 9 to 5, I'm thinking six and nine";

lol i totally did not get that, i thought it was 'six to nine'...

i think the reviewer has seriously overlooked the depth of the lyrics by focusing only on the things they found shocking, and exodus wasnt anything like her japanese stuff either, it's a different culture the music will always be different.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 6:11
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>