<123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: The Japan Times : CD review for Utada "This is the One"
guest_Unregistered
A little insight into what he thinks of Hikki's older music:

"How did this America-born songstrel achieve such success? By peddling hideous mainstream pop peppered with English lyrics including ?I want your babies?.?

How can a guy who doesn't even understand Japanese review Japanese music for major online publication?

The guy is a prude ( Oh no she is talking about sex, how dare she) and a hack. I wouldn't put any weight whatsoever into what he thinks.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:17
  •  Macdan
      Macdan
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L M/ Singapore
this dude over here somehow gives me the idea that he is giving a negative review... but after reading the comments before me, I kinda agree with eni-san..

Quote:

there's a bright side to this: the album is getting talked about. if someone reads this review they might be compelled to at least listen to the album online and judge for themselves. and if they're anything like us, they'll eventually buy TITO and love it.

I feel that the dude there just cannot accept her English work compared to her Japanese work... I would say that this review is somehow a biased source, because he is making much assumptions, and that review is made from his point of view...
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:23
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
Quote:

~Billy<3'sHikki~ wrote:
I love the songs it's just I feel it isn't totally her on this album. Almost as if, and I hate myself for saying it, she sold out. But I don't think she really (censored)d it up. I mean, One Night Magic was all about having an affair with her best friend's lover, right? But hey, if she gets big here with TITO then I bet she'll be incorporating her own style into is as well. Probably more of her own stuff than anything but still stuff that she knows Americans will like while holding true to herself. I still think she did hold true to herself since she wrote the lyrics...

She didnt sell out, nessessary, she just wanted to explore going mainstream in the states. that doesnt mean selling out...

Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe I just felt that it wasn't totally her cuz I'm used to no one liking "my music" xD. But, I guess when I think about it, selling out would've been shit like Womanizer and London Bridge...
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:33
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I'm really tired of reviewers misconstruing what Utada has said about wanting to make "mainstream" music. They never include her follow-up explanation behind that goal, which was to make universally accessible songs that anyone can nod their head to, specifically with the intention NOT to sell out and give up her individual musical artistry. Thus her constant statement that she didn't want to make "disposable" music- she wanted it to be high quality pop, which is basically what she's been making in Japan forever, anyway. Yes, she wanted a mainstream American sound, which is why she enlisted the HELP of Stargate and Tricky, but she still wrote all the lyrics and had full control over the melody, both of which basically define a song- Stargate and Tricky just helped her work out the details and all the little kinks along the way. So, in the end, she IS doing things on her own terms, because she's still in control, and if these reviewers would listen to some of her interviews and maybe quote what she has to say about "This Is The One", that aspect of the album would be way more clear.
But, whatever. So this review is crap. There are bound to be some of those out there. At least it's publicity, which is all that really matters. :]
Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:03
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Quote:

eni-san wrote:
there's a bright side to this: the album is getting talked about. if someone reads this review they might be compelled to at least listen to the album online and judge for themselves. and if they're anything like us, they'll eventually buy TITO and love it.

i'll admit, she has some racy lyrics...but it's not as bad as it could be.

these people can't be satisfied. they say that Exodus was too left-field and experimental to be a hit in the US, then when she does something more mainstream, they say it's too "predictable." come on people, what do you want?

(i always say this...but how is rhyming "innocent" with "cinnamon" predictable? this guy obviously didn't listen very closely... )

ok, i'm getting off my soapbox now...lol

HOMFG YOU'RE RIGHT!!! O_O Wow, thanks for giving me optimism. XD And i agree completely with what yer saying. And funny thing with your "innocent"/"cinnamon" remark, I'm listening to that song right now. X'D

Quote:

ghostdog wrote:

"How did this America-born songstrel achieve such success? By peddling hideous mainstream pop peppered with English lyrics including ?I want your babies?.?

How can a guy who doesn't even understand Japanese review Japanese music for major online publication?

The guy is a prude ( Oh no she is talking about sex, how dare she) and a hack. I wouldn't put any weight whatsoever into what he thinks.

Your response resonates with my nodding head.

This guy's review is just a wonderful example of dull sarcasm and half-assed research therefore creating statements based on not very liable assumptions and a great bucket of fail.

Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
I'm really tired of reviewers misconstruing what Utada has said about wanting to make "mainstream" music. They never include her follow-up explanation behind that goal, which was to make universally accessible songs that anyone can nod their head to, specifically with the intention NOT to sell out and give up her individual musical artistry. Thus her constant statement that she didn't want to make "disposable" music- she wanted it to be high quality pop, which is basically what she's been making in Japan forever, anyway. Yes, she wanted a mainstream American sound, which is why she enlisted the HELP of Stargate and Tricky, but she still wrote all the lyrics and had full control over the melody, both of which basically define a song- Stargate and Tricky just helped her work out the details and all the little kinks along the way. So, in the end, she IS doing things on her own terms, because she's still in control, and if these reviewers would listen to some of her interviews and maybe quote what she has to say about "This Is The One", that aspect of the album would be way more clear.
But, whatever. So this review is crap. There are bound to be some of those out there. At least it's publicity, which is all that really matters. :]

Haha. I like your comments. They're funny.

"Misconstruing" seems to be the perfect word for this review.

Yay publicity? X'D
Posted on: 2009/4/14 14:34
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
Quote:

ghostdog wrote:

did it really said that line on the article?? well tats freakin sad/rude/stupid/american

how can someone even say that to THE UTADA HIKARU!
Posted on: 2009/4/15 18:00
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
Quote:

ghostdog wrote:

did it really said that line on the article?? well tats freakin sad/rude/stupid/american

http://playlouder.com/dhtml/#/content/12349/exodus

"Three albums of self-penned smash hits later, and Utada had had enough. No more bloated J-pop epics! No more pandering to the Japanese image of women as na?ve, passive, love-making home-makers! No more "I want your babies"!"

EPIC F#CKING FAIL.
What he is talking about here? Is he talking about Utada's first 3 albums? I would love to smash this guy in the mouth.
Posted on: 2009/4/15 20:42
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
same here man
Posted on: 2009/4/15 23:28
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

ghostdog wrote:
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:
Quote:

ghostdog wrote:

http://playlouder.com/dhtml/#/content/12349/exodus

"Three albums of self-penned smash hits later, and Utada had had enough. No more bloated J-pop epics! No more pandering to the Japanese image of women as na?ve, passive, love-making home-makers! No more "I want your babies"!"

EPIC F#CKING FAIL.
What he is talking about here? Is he talking about Utada's first 3 albums? I would love to smash this guy in the mouth.

Agree with you 100 mil % on the smashing him part
Posted on: 2009/4/16 3:58
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
why being so angry. Silly no flame guys
Posted on: 2009/4/16 4:59
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>