•  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
Queerty.com : Utada Play It Safe
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Article from Queerty.com
This is the One

Utada

Island

?Intoxicated, emancipated, unapologetic,? Utada gushes in the chorus of ?On and On,? the lead track off her second American album, This Is The One. Strong words coming from the soft-spoken artist who once released a song called ?I?m A Bear.?

With Stargate and ?Tricky? Stewart behind the mixing panel, Utada?s latest hosts an array of hip-hop beats and ?90?s-inspired grooves. While most benefit from modern production (the urbanized bossa nova swagger of ?Me Muero?), others simply reek of kitsch (?Taking My Money Back,? which might as well been airlifted from Destiny?s Child?s Writings on the Wall.)

Utada?s follow-up is commendable?it?s fresh, hip, and incredibly re-listenable. Yet in order to create such a sound, Utada has also sacrificed that experimental quality of her 2004 album, Exodus. Sure, it?s not the worst thing she could have done (a foray into alt-country folk would do the trick), but it?s certainly the safest.

Queerty.com : Utada Play It Safe
Posted on: 2009/4/12 20:53
Re: Queerty.com : Utada Play It Safe
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20 /F /rep'n dirtee jerzee
Blaaaaaugh. @__@ The reason why there's a song titled, "I'm A Bear" is because it was for a children's show!! Duhh. Whoever wrote that part apparently missed that tiny useful fact.

Again, i can think up of a bnch of answers that can counter all of those remarks. I feel like the critics that make these kinds of counterable remarks aren't doing enough research. o_O; is that just me or something? >_>
Posted on: 2009/4/12 21:08
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
These reviewers needs to get their info right! What the heck was that guy saying about Hikki's songs anyways, a bunch of crap if you ask me. Taking my money back was an awesome song, he made it sound like Hikki was copying Destiny's Child's song He also made it sound like Hikki is selling herself out...the dude sucks....
Posted on: 2009/4/13 2:49
  •  CherrySoda
      CherrySoda
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 22/F/NC
Um? When was "On and On" Hikki's lead song on This is the One? Don't recall that. *eyeroll*

I gotta agree, unfortunately, about "Taking My Money Back"...It really is reminiscent of "Writings on the Wall"...

Yeah, this person also needs to get their facts straight on "Boku wa Kuma". You can't just whip out a dumb title like that and not give the reason behind it.
Posted on: 2009/4/13 10:29
  •  eni-san
      eni-san
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L it's a secret
ok, i don't really know about some of the other stuff in the article...but this irks me (as it seems to do to everyone else):

"?Intoxicated, emancipated, unapologetic,? Utada gushes in the chorus of ?On and On,? the lead track off her second American album, This Is The One. Strong words coming from the soft-spoken artist who once released a song called ?I?m A Bear.?"

i don't think i can totally call Hikki a "soft-spoken" artist really. does anyone remember "Kettobase!" (specifically, the line "I want your baby")? yeah. and what about "The Workout" and "Tippy-toe"?

and in my opinion "On and On" is not the lead track. i would think "FYI" would be a lead track before "On and On."

also, so what if "Taking my Money Back" sounds like a Destiny's Child song? i feel like there are a lot of popular songs out there that sound like other songs (example: the background to Beyonce's "Diva" sounds a lot like the background to Lil Wayne's "A Millie").

i mean, i don't know...*shrugs*
Posted on: 2009/4/13 10:54
Hikki Obsessed
... -raises hand-

I think the writer of this article should be stoned. X'D Hah, just kidding. Kind of.

We all seem to know better than this guy so at least we can all discern that this review isn't a very liable one. So I'm not that concerned -- these kinds of articles are just a waste of time.

What i am worried about is the kind of image of Utada he's making for those that aren't familiar with Utada. u_u
Posted on: 2009/4/13 13:19
Administrator
A/S/L 23/f/CDN
erm...by "lead track" he means the opening track of the album, and On and On is the opening for at least the Japanese tracklist.

I'm not sure why we're getting such strong reactions. I didn't get that big of a negative vibe from this reviewer. It's his opinion and I think this guy does know enough from her...since he knew about her japanese work and commended her experimental compositions in Exodus.

I don't see this as a bad review at all. There is nothing wrong with safe.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 23:37
Hikki Obsessed
I don't know. It sounds like he's misconstruing some things. o___o;; That's what it sounds like to me anyway. And the way he's projecting it just seems like a not very good/accurate portrayal of the whole deal. Gives you the idea she's selling herself out. And I don't think she intended to "play it safe" as much as just feeling like making a pop album. Sure, it is safe, but she did mention herself that she was kinda "tired of making experimental beats".
Posted on: 2009/4/15 19:44
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

TadakoXIII wrote:
I don't know. It sounds like he's misconstruing some things. o___o;; That's what it sounds like to me anyway. And the way he's projecting it just seems like a not very good/accurate portrayal of the whole deal. Gives you the idea she's selling herself out. And I don't think she intended to "play it safe" as much as just feeling like making a pop album. Sure, it is safe, but she did mention herself that she was kinda "tired of making experimental beats".

Exactly!!!
Posted on: 2009/4/16 4:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic