second single

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: second single
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Assuming there are four singles planned (though keep in mind this is a 10-track album, which could imply less singles- though it probably wouldn't), I think it would be good to have a fair balance between ballads and dance songs. It makes each single a tough choice, because the album is practically composed of potential hits- except for maybe "Poppin'" and "Me Muero", all of the songs have potential, including "Dirty Desire". I actually don't think "Come Back to Me" was a fantastic choice for the first single, but there's nothing that can be done about that. In my opinion, having two dance songs and then a ballad would be suitable- and I can certainly see IDJ choosing "Dirty Desire" for the next single on that basis.
Of course, if I ruled the world, "FYI" would be next, followed by "On and On" and wrapping up the singles with "This One (Crying Like a Child)". It's hard to make the choice between "Apple & Cinnamon" and "This One", but ultimately I think the latter is more suitable for radio and also gives a different pop/rock feel to Utada (as opposed to the R&B feel of CBTM) that shows her versatility as an artist.
"Takin' My Money Back" would also be really good for the summer, I think, because it's so laid back and simplistic, and I could actually see TMMB being bigger than "FYI" in the long run, but I think it would be at the cost of Utada's image, especially if they choose "Dirty Desire" for the next single.
So, I think what it's going to come down to is what the record company decides to promote Utada as. If they want her to be a pop/R&B goddess, I can easily see "Dirty Desire" and TMMB playing on radio, and probably doing rather well. If they want her to be seen as an artist, however, they'll probably go with "FYI" and "On and On". Either way, I'm pretty sure "This One" is going to finish off the singles- I would be surprised if the (sort of) title song didn't get a single release.

EDIT: I also have to say that I would be delighted if "Automatic, Pt. II" was the second single. Not because I think it would be a hit, but because it's such a wicked song, and I'd love to hear the radio blasting "HELLO, MY NAME IS UTADA, LIKE LA-DEE-DA-DEE-DAA." xD
Plus, it's a good introductory song.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 17:38
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 20/M/California
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Assuming there are four singles planned (though keep in mind this is a 10-track album, which could imply less singles- though it probably wouldn't), I think it would be good to have a fair balance between ballads and dance songs. It makes each single a tough choice, because the album is practically composed of potential hits- except for maybe "Poppin'" and "Me Muero", all of the songs have potential, including "Dirty Desire". I actually don't think "Come Back to Me" was a fantastic choice for the first single, but there's nothing that can be done about that. In my opinion, having two dance songs and then a ballad would be suitable- and I can certainly see IDJ choosing "Dirty Desire" for the next single on that basis.
Of course, if I ruled the world, "FYI" would be next, followed by "On and On" and wrapping up the singles with "This One (Crying Like a Child)". It's hard to make the choice between "Apple & Cinnamon" and "This One", but ultimately I think the latter is more suitable for radio and also gives a different pop/rock feel to Utada (as opposed to the R&B feel of CBTM) that shows her versatility as an artist.
"Takin' My Money Back" would also be really good for the summer, I think, because it's so laid back and simplistic, and I could actually see TMMB being bigger than "FYI" in the long run, but I think it would be at the cost of Utada's image, especially if they choose "Dirty Desire" for the next single.
So, I think what it's going to come down to is what the record company decides to promote Utada as. If they want her to be a pop/R&B goddess, I can easily see "Dirty Desire" and TMMB playing on radio, and probably doing rather well. If they want her to be seen as an artist, however, they'll probably go with "FYI" and "On and On". Either way, I'm pretty sure "This One" is going to finish off the singles- I would be surprised if the (sort of) title song didn't get a single release.

EDIT: I also have to say that I would be delighted if "Automatic, Pt. II" was the second single. Not because I think it would be a hit, but because it's such a wicked song, and I'd love to hear the radio blasting "HELLO, MY NAME IS UTADA, LIKE LA-DEE-DA-DEE-DAA." xD
Plus, it's a good introductory song.

Lol. I would be funny to hear that one the radio. The perfect for her to introduce herself to Americans. xD
Posted on: 2009/4/21 20:10
  •  Sylfi
      Sylfi
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 15/Male/Cali
Well, On And On is one that I was thinking of. It's a nice, fast-paced song about dancing! So what better way to follow up a ballad than with a dance song? Plus, it's kinda funny to think about someone saying "gay parade" on radio. I also really love Dirty Desire, and it could continue in the vein of I Kissed A Girl with the kind of controversial summer hit status. It's already pretty popular with people that I know, and I've always liked it. It has the crossover appeal between Pop and Rhythmic, and it's a fun song with a possibly very sexy MV.

But with the debate between This One and Apple & Cinnamon, I'd have to go with Apple & Cinnamon. I personally just don't find it that good. It doesn't seem to have that breezy catchiness of A&C. Plus, many people would probably see a parallel between the chorus of Umbrella (by Rihanna) and the chorus of This One because they sound very much alike. Would we really want our Hikki being accused of stealing a melody? It's very unlikely, but hey, it could happen!
Posted on: 2009/4/21 21:27
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i love ur siggy there sylfi

Apple And Cinnamon or This one would make a great 2nd single
Posted on: 2009/4/21 21:45
  •  Sylfi
      Sylfi
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 15/Male/Cali
Thanks Aijin! I like your sig and avatar too!

Just to reiterate my previous statement, follow up ballads with dance tracks!
Posted on: 2009/4/21 23:01
  •  scott_o_k
      scott_o_k
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
So, now that the tracklist has been updated......

...who's up for "Simple and Clean" becoming a single?
Posted on: 2009/4/22 11:42
  •  Truten
      Truten
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/UK
Haha no, I don't think Utada would like to release old songs to promote TITO. But I'm still sticking by my decision, On and On or Dirty Desire to be the next single.

Though A&C and This One are fantastic songs, she needs a nice upbeat song to be the follow up to Come Back To Me.
Posted on: 2009/4/22 12:07
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Sylfi wrote:
Well, On And On is one that I was thinking of. It's a nice, fast-paced song about dancing! So what better way to follow up a ballad than with a dance song? Plus, it's kinda funny to think about someone saying "gay parade" on radio. I also really love Dirty Desire, and it could continue in the vein of I Kissed A Girl with the kind of controversial summer hit status. It's already pretty popular with people that I know, and I've always liked it. It has the crossover appeal between Pop and Rhythmic, and it's a fun song with a possibly very sexy MV.

But with the debate between This One and Apple & Cinnamon, I'd have to go with Apple & Cinnamon. I personally just don't find it that good. It doesn't seem to have that breezy catchiness of A&C. Plus, many people would probably see a parallel between the chorus of Umbrella (by Rihanna) and the chorus of This One because they sound very much alike. Would we really want our Hikki being accused of stealing a melody? It's very unlikely, but hey, it could happen!

I've listened to This One and Umbrella's choruses like 20 times back to back and I don't find that they are similar at all except that the words forever, together and umbrella all rhyme.
I don't know what people are listening to because they don't sound alike to me.

Oh well the one good thing I noticed from this discussion though is that Utada has a slew of potential singles from this album.
Posted on: 2009/4/22 14:30
  •  daaznfella
      daaznfella
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/M/Seattle, WA USA
i would <3 to see a video for FYI or a&c.....or just do both as a viral video....win!
Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:46
  •  eni-san
      eni-san
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L it's a secret
Quote:

daaznfella wrote:
i would <3 to see a video for FYI or a&c.....or just do both as a viral video....win!

that would be so AWESOME!!!!!
Posted on: 2009/4/22 16:01
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>