Poster Thread
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Re: Utada admits to Cheating on Live Japanese Radio
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

Semantics wrote:
Ouch, you're right, it's all over the Japanese news. So far, up to 11 different Japanese news networks have published articles on this on their websites. And each article differs in length (perhaps content and phrasing as well).

http://news.google.com.sg/news/story?um=1&ned=jp&cf=all&ncl=1287629874

I worry this might alienate some of her Japanese fans. Cheating is frowned upon quite a bit in conservative Asian societies and I don't think this will sit well with some people in Japan especially.

Im kinda surprised that Hikki said this in Japan, but I dont think her fans will go away THAT easily, i mean everybody has made some mistake in that past and this only goes to show that Hikki is human too.
Posted on: 2009/4/19 0:35
  •  Semantics
      Semantics
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Quote:

takka wrote:

No need to worry about that.
One of the articles that I've read says that she even got applause
from the audience for her honesty, and the media seems to be favourably
reporting her being honest.

Japan is not conservative in this area AT ALL.
Probably a lot more open than Christian countries IMO.
Long before Europeans reached to American continent, we had writers
who wrote about sex life. You will find it out if you study Japanese
literature. Japan is VERY different from other Asian countries in that sense.

Yes, Japan is one of the most liberal out of all Asian countries. Though, we can't use that as a blanket categorization for all spectrums of the society -- I'm sure some parts of Japan are more conservative than the others. And I'm also afraid this might turn off some of her older fans/listeners. <--worrywart!

Nevertheless, the important part in the end is how she is portrayed by the mass media, which subsequently affects how people perceive her to a very large extent. As long as they frame this in a positive light, I'm happy. And wow for the applause!

Though, I am concerned about how she is portrayed in other Asian countries such as Taiwan, Hong Kong and even China, where she has a large following. Chinese and Taiwanese tabloids are quite relentless and nasty in their coverage; their articles about Hikki are mostly about her blog entries and they blow it out of proportion more often than not. (Sometimes I get angry reading them) Their latest exploits include reporting about how "This is the One" is a flop in the US when it was only 3 days after the digital release.
Posted on: 2009/4/19 0:48
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
I've been snooping around with the translations and the Japanese press seems to refer to Hikki admitting about her cheating in the past as a "love affair". Oh,man i have to admit that im worrying about her Japanese fans and how they are taking it....
Posted on: 2009/4/19 1:08
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:
I've been snooping around with the translations and the Japanese press seems to refer to Hikki admitting about her cheating in the past as a "love affair". Oh,man i have to admit that im worrying about her Japanese fans and how they are taking it....

yeah can you tell where can i see the translations
Posted on: 2009/4/19 1:44
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:

ChanOng wrote:
Quote:

Hikki101 wrote:

yeah can you tell where can i see the translations

Just go to google and type in Utada on Tokyo FM and some topics will come up, scrool down to the Japanese pages ones and beside it it'll say something like translate the page, click on that and u should fine some.
Posted on: 2009/4/19 1:53
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
ah ok so i mentioned before that she mentioned in the radio that CBTM was written mainly in a female perspective because her female friends and herself included have cheated, just like men do....

here it is (it's the interview with KSFM102.5)at about 3:20 or so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvsQXogdyg

and the one with theEnd107.9 in the second piece is where she mentioned that she got the call from her ex-bf(s) asking her if the song was for them... lol i thought that was funny... ^_^

Quote:

TadakoXIII wrote:

You're absolutely right. She HAS already mentioned that she cheated on a US station in an interview. And .. pretty much what you summed up there is what she said in a nutshell. Which is why when i saw the topic name of this thread, I wasn't very surprised... i mean, at the fact that she had cheated.

What DID surprise me was that she mentioned it to the Japanese audience/listeners in Japan. Having the topic brought up in the US is one thing, but what like Semantics said, i'd think it would be a little different in Japan. I hope the Japanese media don't blow it out of proportion. It shouldn't be such a huge scandal, but... you know tabloids these days. They'd grab at any little piece of detail with the potential of snowballing gossip. And with a star as big as Hikki... ouch. I think the US would be a little more forgiving of the cheating thing mainly because 1) she's a new artist without as much history in the US music industy unlike in Japan so no one would care as much, 2) it was in the past and is seen kind of irrelavent to who she is now. In my opinion anyway. Japan's already had a vision of Utada for a long time and it may bother some fans there. Uhh, I feel like i'm rambling now -- is this making sense?

I don't think it's Kiriya -- i mean, i may be wrong, but i'm not going to assume anything. I mean -- it COULD have been Kiriya but who knows for sure. In the interview, she mentioned that "i got text messages from some of my ex's asking if the song was for them!" Haha.. she also mentioned that it wasn't just from her own past experiences but also that of her friends' too. So i wouldn't think of CBTM as a true 'self experienced story' song. I think it's a lot more general than that and it just happen so that Utada herself can relate to the song.

Soooo yeah. What ev. No one's perfect, even Utada is human. Which makes her all the more amazing since in spite of her being a person with faults, she still manages to go above and beyond in her musical talent and all that jazz. So we should just be forgiving of her mistakes especially if it was in the past, 'naa mean??

Haha yes you are right! It is surprising that she mentioned, in Japan, that she has cheated. But i don't think, or at least I'm hoping that it doesn't have a negative affect on her.

lol well like i said before i only assume it's kiriya cuz that's the only person that I have ever heard she has been with in a serious relationship.... i'm not saying she hasn't had other bfs or that the person she cheated on couldn't have been someone else... but kiriya just automatically pops into my head, its kind of hard to picture any other person that isn't kiriya since none of her other ex-bfs have been shown to the public... well not that i know of...

but i honestly don't really care who she cheated on it's her life she does whatever she wants with it (as long as she's safe and happy). She's human just like the rest of us and some people cheat and as a fan I respect her personal life and try not care about such news but i'm human too so i can't help wondering who it was she cheated on....

The people in Japan are human too, so if the simple statement she made in Japan about cheating has become big, then perhaps Kiriya will be questioned during his interview with the station since it's the same one where Utada made the statement.

I hope and wish for the best outcome for Utada (and for her to have a concert here in the US soon ).
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:38
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
/
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:40
  •  Hikki101
      Hikki101
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 17/ M/ Bangkok
Quote:
but i honestly don't really care who she cheated on it's her life she does whatever she wants with it (as long as she's safe and happy). She's human just like the rest of us and some people cheat and as a fan I respect her personal life and try not care about such news but i'm human too so i can't help wondering who it was she cheated on....

Ur right, i mean all that is in the past i dont care!! all i care about is that Hikki is at a good point in her life right now and like u said, happy and safe. So i hope that Japanese fans wont take this whole thing too far...
Posted on: 2009/4/19 3:11
  •  yireh
      yireh
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I think it is very brave of her to admit that. I mean she could have just living her normal live as usual. Nobody seems to going to find out anyway. So, I think this is a plus for her.
Posted on: 2009/4/19 4:14
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Let's just think of it as some kind of free promotion for Come Back To Me/This Is The One
Posted on: 2009/4/19 4:35
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345...8>