<12345>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  S0ySauce
      S0ySauce
Re: So the swine flu...
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L I'm not a dude
2 weeks? that sucks. That means you'll have to make up for it in the summer.

I live in Cali too but luckily our school district isn't going to close down. Thank gawd for that 'cause I'm having AP's in two weeks.

Hope everything works out for you.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 13:54
  •  Josh_Shing
      Josh_Shing
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/M/Washington
Man this reminds me a little of when the media said that the conficker virus was the end, the biggest most dangerous virus of them all. But in the end it wasn't that much of a threat cuz the majority of computers were well protected.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 16:11
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Some things to bring to light about the swine flu:

1.) It isn't passed on through food.

2.) What's going on in Mexico City probably has a lot to do with the situation down there. The people who have supposedly died from the Swine Flu most likely came from low-income homes who could not afford the medical care. Mexico City is also one of the most heavily/densely populated cities in Mexico (2000 census reported a pop. of 22 million). Not to mention the pollution and air quality there. (someone correct me if i'm wrong about any of that). My daughter's father lives in the Federal District (Chalco) and I do sometimes wonder if he'll get it.. heh.

3.) The baby that passed away in Texas was a Mexico-born citizen. The parents waited too long to do something to treat the baby, so the baby sadly passed away before anything could be done for it in the United States .

4.) I agree with you all that it's just completely retarded that it's almost considered being a "pandemic". I mean, it shouldn't really take that long to stir up a medicine for it, and we should all face it - this stuff happens. I'm sure in 20 years we'll have a "snake flu" or something going around that'll cause another panic.

EDIT:

There's been whisperings of schools shutting down in Nashville. One already has, but some crazy teacher that came into the restaurant said that it's likely the entire state will shut down the schools and possibly even the businesses. I doubt this will happen, but Nashville has a small track record for panicking over nothing. Every gas station in my area once ran out of gas 'cuz of some bombing in Iraq or something (can't really remember). There was even a shooting over gas at one spot near my apartment that weekend. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in my life. So, yeah. I guess I'm almost expecting schools to be closed soon.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 20:01
  •  eni-san
      eni-san
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L it's a secret
i know they closed like 3 schools in the Greater Memphis area (my hometown).

one of my professors told us in lecture that there have been 80 fatalities in Mexico. but you're right, it's probably mainly due to the situation there.

he also said that epidemiologists estimate 3 "pandemics" per century. i thought that was interesting...

funny/sad story...someone i know thought that swine were birds...FAIL.

Quote:

abunai wrote:
Some things to bring to light about the swine flu:

1.) It isn't passed on through food.

2.) What's going on in Mexico City probably has a lot to do with the situation down there. The people who have supposedly died from the Swine Flu most likely came from low-income homes who could not afford the medical care. Mexico City is also one of the most heavily/densely populated cities in Mexico (2000 census reported a pop. of 22 million). Not to mention the pollution and air quality there. (someone correct me if i'm wrong about any of that). My daughter's father lives in the Federal District (Chalco) and I do sometimes wonder if he'll get it.. heh.

3.) The baby that passed away in Texas was a Mexico-born citizen. The parents waited too long to do something to treat the baby, so the baby sadly passed away before anything could be done for it in the United States .

4.) I agree with you all that it's just completely retarded that it's almost considered being a "pandemic". I mean, it shouldn't really take that long to stir up a medicine for it, and we should all face it - this stuff happens. I'm sure in 20 years we'll have a "snake flu" or something going around that'll cause another panic.

EDIT:

There's been whisperings of schools shutting down in Nashville. One already has, but some crazy teacher that came into the restaurant said that it's likely the entire state will shut down the schools and possibly even the businesses. I doubt this will happen, but Nashville has a small track record for panicking over nothing. Every gas station in my area once ran out of gas 'cuz of some bombing in Iraq or something (can't really remember). There was even a shooting over gas at one spot near my apartment that weekend. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in my life. So, yeah. I guess I'm almost expecting schools to be closed soon.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 21:04
  •  dral
      dral
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M
i agree that it is blown up (even thought to be a terrorist act). it is not that fatal but can mutate, so far little is known and that only mexicans die from it just adds on to its mystery.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 0:20
  •  laijunjie14
      laijunjie14
Show Off!
A/S/L 24/M/Singapore
soysoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Posted on: 2009/5/3 1:13
  •  jreuij
      jreuij
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L female
it's been awhile...
Posted on: 2009/5/3 1:49
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
The latest information i found, that 367 [H1N1 virus or mexican flu] positif suspect around the world.

And I watch the news 1 tourist suspected have a H1N1 virus in hongkong. It said that he was come from Mexico through Singapore.

Updated from WHO that this disease in categories 5, which mean the virus mutated from human to human. Animal such pig didn't have anything to do anymore. It can be a huge pandemic.

this is i found from BBC.co.uk abound swyne flu or H1N1 virus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm
Posted on: 2009/5/3 5:36
  •  GIGAcorrupt
      GIGAcorrupt
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Potato. Genderless. Underground
yesterday my girlfriend asked me if I was worried about the flu. I told her no. She then said that it has already reached the state we live in O.O so I guess its around here somewhere XD

I told her I'm not worried about it because I'm Oscar so it should be afraid of me
Posted on: 2009/5/3 12:10
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Um the Mexicans that died from this flu most likely came from poor households and couldn't afford treatment. Mexico City itself is extremely polluted and highly populated. There's no mystery about it. They probably just thought it was a regular flu bug in the beginning and didn't bother going to the doctor (plus the absence of money.....)
Posted on: 2009/5/3 15:45
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345>