<1...3456789...15>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: [Unconfirmed] New Single(s) - This One(Crying Like A Child)/Dirty Desire
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
I don't think TITO is dated at all. Mainstream American pop and r&b is very stail right now while TITO has a fresh sound. IMO the album has a blend of today's pop with 90s R&B. This Is The One has the potential as long as its promoted properly. Utada should not give up on it yet.

Exactly. TITO is, in many ways, different from mainstream pop right now, but it isn't dated or incapable of making it in the American music market. The problem is that I don't think IDJ has a clue how to market new artists. I feel like they just kind of expected that their popularity as a record label and Utada's popularity as a musical artist would equate to good sales, but that's not the case. Utada hasn't broken through in America yet, but the way IDJ handled her album made it seem as though she did. They capitalized on her popularity in Japan but have thus far failed to emphasize what Utada can bring to America. "This Is The One" is a fantastic album; the reviews for it have all been more or less positive, and even the highly selective Ryan Seacrest brought Utada onto his show because the potential is there. To be sure, some of the issues with TITO have just been bad luck. Utada getting sick in the middle of promotion was one of the worst things that could have happened, but it didn't kill the album.

For starters, a second single should have been released weeks ago; we shouldn't be sitting here speculating over whether or not there's even a second single coming. There was a hype building over "This Is The One" back in April and May; I remember having people come up to me knowing I'm a fan of Utada's music and saying they bought her new album, and I'd never even talked to them about it. CBTM was a great choice for a first single (not the BEST, but pretty good). IDJ let that hype die the minute Utada wasn't able to fly around in her private jet and talk to indifferent radio hosts who are more interested in how many people listen to their show than whether or not Utada is a good artist that deserves to be recognized. This is not the kind of action a responsible record company takes, which to me means that the people at IDJ either don't know what the heck they're doing or they just don't care about Utada. I don't think the latter is the case because they went to the trouble of creating the album in the first place, which means they spent money on something they want to profit from, and even if that's their only motivation it speaks to the fact that they would, conceivably, at the very least be TRYING. Whether they are anymore, I don't know, but it's my opinion that they just have no clue where to go with TITO because their concept of how promotions would play out were flawed from the beginning.

I know I've said this before in other discussions, but I have to restate that some of this is also just the fact that the American music market is so limited and exclusive that it's becoming increasingly difficult for new artists to start from the bottom up like they used to. Not only do you need the right record label to make it "big" these days; you need to have the right producers (Utada had them, but the irony to Utada's music is that she totally overshadows Tricky and Stargate), the best writers, and to top it off it looks like you must have competed in some cable network program like American Idol (either that or you have to be a Disney Channel fakey-actor-turned-fakey-singer). I mean, look at the people making the top hits right now. They don't write, produce, or promote their music: most of them hardly even sing their songs. The problem with America in this regard is that the music industry is only interested in churning out chart toppers by the same tried-and-true "artists" that will make a lot of money for a couple of weeks then fall to spot 2 and make way for the next big hit by Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus. It's a cold day down under when we see a new face that isn't contracted by Hollywood Records or part of some contest show where you prove you can sing by whoring yourself out artistically and aesthetically so the masses can gobble you up and spit you out just in time for your well-groomed replacement to step into your boots and fill the empty role. If IDJ ever intends for Utada to make an impression here they need to get their act together and make her a top priority: if not, they need to stop torturing all of us and send out a newsletter or something explaining that they're too cheap and greedy to actually attempt to breathe some new life into our terrifically bland musical world.

OK, I'm done now. <3

Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/8/8 16:33
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
The problem with IDJ is that they're not putting 100% into Utada. Her lablemates Parachute, Airborne Toxic Event, Duffy, Jessie James, and Kristinia Debarge's albums and singles are doing fairly well on the charts and have their videos played regularly on network tv. While Utada's CBTM relyed souly on radio spins.
Before she got sick everything was going good CBTM cracked into the Top 40 Rhythmic charts and the album was doing well on Itunes. IDJ was promoting her then but they still hadn't manage to get her video played on MTV Hits or VH1.
Posted on: 2009/8/8 16:49
  •  IceAngel
      IceAngel
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/Female/UK
I do see what you are saying Shurikid. And I agree with you on the music companies. But thats my point when I say her music is dated. Listen to Taking My Money Back then compare it to a song like Exodus '04. The verse in TMMB has been done before. I cant remember who it was but the melody is almost the same as another song that was heard in the 90's. I have no qualms about the music. That is fresh and new. But put together with the melody (which is all that seems to matter in the music world now - you know, catchy vocal lines and such -) it makes the songs sooo dated.

Exodus '04 however is a song and part of an album that was released before its time. Which is why people may have been hesitant towards it. The vocal melody is new and different and so is the music and it fits with the time. And that was composed pretty much by Hikki herself. I'm not trying to say that Exodus is a better album. I'm just saying that TITO came out a little too late to be new, and Exodus came out a little too early to be accepted as main stream.

Promotion is the big issue. Everything has to sound like something else that is out there. The sad reality is that you cant be accepted for being different no matter how hard you try. Hikki has her flavour of things that will not quite work if she collaborates with the wrong people. I think she should find a new record company. Sorry IDJ.
Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:05
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Not only do you need the right record label to make it "big" these days; you need to have the right producers (Utada had them, but the irony to Utada's music is that she totally overshadows Tricky and Stargate)

and also

It's a cold day down under when we see a new face that isn't contracted by Hollywood Records or part of some contest show where you prove you can sing by whoring yourself out artistically and aesthetically so the masses can gobble you up and spit you out just in time for your well-groomed replacement to step into your boots and fill the empty role.

You sir,are a very smart man.I don't even need to explain the very first quote but as for Hollywood Records.Hollywood and Buena Vista records fuel every Disney Channel icons sweet ride through fameland then some how their tires get busted by the road spikes otherwise know as "reality checks".Although I love Hilary Duff...that second album of her's was a wreck.And it did have the sells to show that.It sold only single Platinum.How does a bad album like this sell?Because it was shoved down our throats.If a 13yr old girl doesn't buy a Hollywood artist's material,she'll wake up with her period the next day(I couldn't resist JK).But luckily,Duff has a good enough head on her shoulders and a mom as a manager to avoid the crash and burn of Lindsay and I assure the soon to be Miley Cyrus(which is hilary's replacement).Hollywood is with Hil but she is tackling more serious accounts,they might drop her for having a brain.The last thing we got was that 2008 single and a best album.

Now more relative to this problem with the single.

This happened before.Easy Breezy was released August 30th 2004.Exodus '04 came out,JUNE 21th 2005!!10 months?and then You Make Me Want To Be A Man was October 17th 2005.They tried with EZBZ but Ex04 and YMMWTBAM were over shadowed by post ablum release songs from other artist."The Emancipation of Mimi"(Mariah Carey's 2005 album) had a nice LONG set of successful singles.They start promotional for her new album like June this year....IT COMES OUT THIS MONTH.They had the whole month of July to market this album(WHICH TIMBALAND WORKED ON T_T).I'm sure it's gonna do fine anyways.Not everything is gonna sell itself.
Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:29
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

IceAngel wrote:
I do see what you are saying Shurikid. And I agree with you on the music companies. But thats my point when I say her music is dated. Listen to Taking My Money Back then compare it to a song like Exodus '04. The verse in TMMB has been done before. I cant remember who it was but the melody is almost the same as another song that was heard in the 90's. I have no qualms about the music. That is fresh and new. But put together with the melody (which is all that seems to matter in the music world now - you know, catchy vocal lines and such -) it makes the songs sooo dated.

Exodus '04 however is a song and part of an album that was released before its time. Which is why people may have been hesitant towards it. The vocal melody is new and different and so is the music and it fits with the time. And that was composed pretty much by Hikki herself. I'm not trying to say that Exodus is a better album. I'm just saying that TITO came out a little too late to be new, and Exodus came out a little too early to be accepted as main stream.

Promotion is the big issue. Everything has to sound like something else that is out there. The sad reality is that you cant be accepted for being different no matter how hard you try. Hikki has her flavour of things that will not quite work if she collaborates with the wrong people. I think she should find a new record company. Sorry IDJ.

Dude I said Destiny Child's Say my name.It sounds just like that.Exodus did come out before everyone was trying to be Coldplay so yeah.Ahead of the curve :/
Posted on: 2009/8/8 17:33
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
I don't think TITO is dated at all. Mainstream American pop and r&b is very stail right now while TITO has a fresh sound. IMO the album has a blend of today's pop with 90s R&B. This Is The One has the potential as long as its promoted properly. Utada should not give up on it yet.

Exactly. TITO is, in many ways, different from mainstream pop right now, but it isn't dated or incapable of making it in the American music market. The problem is that I don't think IDJ has a clue how to market new artists. I feel like they just kind of expected that their popularity as a record label and Utada's popularity as a musical artist would equate to good sales, but that's not the case. Utada hasn't broken through in America yet, but the way IDJ handled her album made it seem as though she did. They capitalized on her popularity in Japan but have thus far failed to emphasize what Utada can bring to America. "This Is The One" is a fantastic album; the reviews for it have all been more or less positive, and even the highly selective Ryan Seacrest brought Utada onto his show because the potential is there. To be sure, some of the issues with TITO have just been bad luck. Utada getting sick in the middle of promotion was one of the worst things that could have happened, but it didn't kill the album.

For starters, a second single should have been released weeks ago; we shouldn't be sitting here speculating over whether or not there's even a second single coming. There was a hype building over "This Is The One" back in April and May; I remember having people come up to me knowing I'm a fan of Utada's music and saying they bought her new album, and I'd never even talked to them about it. CBTM was a great choice for a first single (not the BEST, but pretty good). IDJ let that hype die the minute Utada wasn't able to fly around in her private jet and talk to indifferent radio hosts who are more interested in how many people listen to their show than whether or not Utada is a good artist that deserves to be recognized. This is not the kind of action a responsible record company takes, which to me means that the people at IDJ either don't know what the heck they're doing or they just don't care about Utada. I don't think the latter is the case because they went to the trouble of creating the album in the first place, which means they spent money on something they want to profit from, and even if that's their only motivation it speaks to the fact that they would, conceivably, at the very least be TRYING. Whether they are anymore, I don't know, but it's my opinion that they just have no clue where to go with TITO because their concept of how promotions would play out were flawed from the beginning.

I know I've said this before in other discussions, but I have to restate that some of this is also just the fact that the American music market is so limited and exclusive that it's becoming increasingly difficult for new artists to start from the bottom up like they used to. Not only do you need the right record label to make it "big" these days; you need to have the right producers (Utada had them, but the irony to Utada's music is that she totally overshadows Tricky and Stargate), the best writers, and to top it off it looks like you must have competed in some cable network program like American Idol (either that or you have to be a Disney Channel fakey-actor-turned-fakey-singer). I mean, look at the people making the top hits right now. They don't write, produce, or promote their music: most of them hardly even sing their songs. The problem with America in this regard is that the music industry is only interested in churning out chart toppers by the same tried-and-true "artists" that will make a lot of money for a couple of weeks then fall to spot 2 and make way for the next big hit by Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus. It's a cold day down under when we see a new face that isn't contracted by Hollywood Records or part of some contest show where you prove you can sing by whoring yourself out artistically and aesthetically so the masses can gobble you up and spit you out just in time for your well-groomed replacement to step into your boots and fill the empty role. If IDJ ever intends for Utada to make an impression here they need to get their act together and make her a top priority: if not, they need to stop torturing all of us and send out a newsletter or something explaining that they're too cheap and greedy to actually attempt to breathe some new life into our terrifically bland musical world.

OK, I'm done now. <3

Shuri/Eli

This is the single greatest post ever to grace these forums about the state of the TITO album, IDJ and the American music scene in general.
You are one of the few reasons why I come back to these forums.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 18:23
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

OK, I'm done now. <3

Shuri/Eli

WOW. SeRiOuSly! just wow...
My limited english speaking/writing skills stop me from expressing my thoughts about TITO. But Shuri/Eli's post helped indirectly. I guess...
Nice point of view
Posted on: 2009/8/8 22:10
  •  JimJam
      JimJam
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 25 / M / UK
Shuri/Eli is completely right. We shouldn't be sat here awaiting a few ctrumbs of news to come forward about a "potential" new single - it should already be out.

I agree that Utada is a very talented person, but her first album came too early, and TITO may have come too late. It's not that that's a bad thing, it's just that Utada needs o promote TITO more - it could potentially be damaging if she does let CBTM rely on disc spins on radio shows alone. I know she's been ill and we can forgive her for that, but it has been a long time since we've heard, well anything from her.

And that bogus YouTube channel has only made matters worse, because since the so-called release of a remix of "This One (Crying Like A Child) '''Official Acoustic'''" (I say 'official acoustic' sarcastically), it's made all the so-called fans think that that is a real song, and her real YouTube channel, and even after people stopped believing it was her channel, she released the "full" version, and people believed it was her again.
It's ludicrus to think that Utada's fans could be so easily swayed by such nonsense, and think that that pile of crap they call the "official acoustic" is an actual song is beyond me.
I think those fans who only like the songs because Utada made them need to get a grip, you can't love ALL of her songs, it's impossible. There are some songs I detest from Utada, yet I still love her for trying.

But anyway, Shuri/Eli is right, IDJ need to get their act together, because Utada is a great artist, and with the proper promotion and advertising, she could be phoneminal. They just don't seem to understand that the potential is certainly there - hell they paid for this album to be released,didn't they? So why are they not setting Utada as a top priority of some sort, because as Shuri/Eli said, it's very difficult nowadays for a new artist to break through with actual original music - it's all this generic, "I love you" ballad crap that's coming through now, and it's staler than bread left out for days. Utada's a new thing to the American market, she needs to show that she's ready for this transition to the West, by getting her face out there more.
I would love nothing more than to walk down the street and see Utada's face on a billboard with "Utada - new album out soon!" and to hear people talking about her, and saying how talented and beautiful she is.
Why this isn't happening is beyond me, I just want her to make it because she's done enough to deserve to make it.
But as usual, Utada's music falls on to deaf ears over here....
IDJ, sort yourselves out!
Posted on: 2009/8/9 8:52
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
Many of you speak as though there is still hope for TITO - I believe that it was well over before it begun. Hikaru probably made this album to fulfill her contract, and IDJ probably wanted the contract to be fulfilled. It is likely that IDJ has given up on Utada. She is obviously well - she went to Hawaii, and can sing - having that Kareoke party. So why aren't the Best Buy (etc) promotions resuming? Because someone has given up. Either Utada feels crushed by dissapointment for the second time - or IDJ feels as though her promo thus far is not making any headway. I doubt that we will hear anything significant concerning TITO aside from spins of This One from hereonin.

In any case, many of you speak as though Island could have done a better job at promoting her as a new artist. I'm unfamiliar with how things work - but I do agree that the promotions really seem lacking. However, I feel as though I need to pose this question:

If time were reversed, and you were in charge of her promo team in IDJ: what would you do differently?
Posted on: 2009/8/9 9:32
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
It is so easy to blame IDJ,

Utada own words from the wonderfully candid the JQ Interview, Quote:

?And part of the reason was because of all that happening and. I guess I wasn?t mentally conscious and aware as an artist myself of how to promote myself that I?d never done that kind of stuff before. It?s not really the artist?s thing to worry about?it shouldn?t be, really. But now I?m more hands-on with it. I?m more involved in the promotional aspect of it, too. Because I learned from last time what kind of PR group you choose and have to work with you [on] what you don?t need, what you need, and how much to be in touch with the record company on this and who to be in touch with for what, and all those kinds of quirks with it. There?s a lot to work with it, and now I?m working with THE DOOR this time, we got a different company for that, and?everything?s quite efficient I think, much more efficient than last time, and I feel support, I feel some kind of face?I felt so insecure during the recording and promotion of Exodus, because it didn?t seem like anyone knew what I wanted to do, and I didn?t know how to get it across to these people. We were not on the same page at all, and now it seems we are?.

IDJ had little say in the PR decision-making process, only to bank rolled it, with private Jets etc?

No this was U3 all the way, and the same U3 that has refused along to sanction press releases.

It was U3 also that has blatantly refused to comment about fake single releases and Utada?s ?Illness? and lets be clear about this had this illness not materialized, we wouldn?t be debating this, if debating is what you?ll call it.

Why do UN members refuse to see what is right in front of them, I?m not shouting just humbly point out that 90% of TITO?s PR and I quote:

?They (sic IDJ) just have no clue where to go with TITO because their concept of how promotions would play out were flawed from the beginning?.

Not IDJ? oh no this was U3 and there own PR choice THE DOOR,

On the Japan BB this is common knowledge .

Why has U3 failed to even acknowledge to her loyal fans that she is fit and well?

Why is U3 making no attempt to announce any future support for TITO, either with the rescheduling of the promised TITO events?

Look at the pitiful 3 photos released in the last few weeks, is their any serious suggestion this was IDJ doing?to suggest so would be slanderous (sic spoken).

Shurikid?s analytical master class in Mainstream American Pop Culture is required reading for fans like me who have never set foot in the US, let alone have any idea what makes you US Girls and Guys musically tick??But one thing for sure this is not by any means the whole picture, just a tiny fraction?.

Now come on, lets have a real debate?.

This is my opinion, not a preach, I am not throwing my toys on the foor as I type, neither am blasting at other member opinions....just my humble opinion
Posted on: 2009/8/10 5:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...3456789...15>