Amaterasu
Re: [Unconfirmed] New Single(s) - This One(Crying Like A Child)/Dirty Desire
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
Quote:

Hazumuchan wrote:
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
...Utada has used some elements of her Japanese style on some tracks on both of her English albums. But if she's trying to appeal to the American and European market why would she make an English album that sounds just like her Japanese work? If she becomes successful in the U.S. and develops a bigger fanbase here then she could, but she hasn't reached that level yet.

This is just my opinion, but I think her Japanese work seems to be truer to who Hikki is as an artist. The production doesn't seem as slicked-down or as poppish. "Deep River" had a lot of less-mainstream electronic and ethereal elements as did "Ultra Blue".

While I like her English albums, it does seem like she is toning down her uniqueness on them. Some artists have to do that to break through (Fiona Apple), while others manage to create their music and have it break through untainted (Tori Amos). I can respect the tracks I love on the English albums and appreciate the ones that I don't.

I'm not a big R&B fan, I'll say this up front. But tracks like "Exodus" and "FYI" and "Hotel Lobby" have given me a better appreciation for R&B in general. So I owe her a debt of gratitude for that. But I still generally prefer her Japanese music for the poetic songwriting (although I can't understand a damn word of Japanese) and the more creative production.

Incredibly well said.

But I feel a need to point out that perhaps we're just used to her Japanese sound, thus we develop a taste and bias towards it. Bias or no, I honestly do prefer her Japanese works by far. Yes, you are right : they seem incredibly creative. However, not all of it good, or incredibly out of the box. Most of HEART STATION is very synth, and many fans have complained that all the songs sound the same. While I do not agree with this statement, it must have some weight for so many to agree with it.

Even still, I can only dream that Hikaru would bring some of her Japanese uniqueness into the genre, rather than assimilating the current trends. Unfortunately, I feel as though this was her last try.
Posted on: 2009/8/14 15:57
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
I felt Exodus was on par with her Japanese works.Easy Breezy aside maybe(though I don't dislike the song),the album held Utada's form of expression intact.Especially with Animato,Hotel Lobby,Kremlin Dusk,About me and YMMWTBAM.TiTO album however doesn't bare that in the slightest.It's pretty hard to convince me that STARGATE and Tricky didn't advise some of the lyrical decision on the album(though she stated that Automatic pt.2 was 100% her doing -_-).Song writing is something Utada excels at,but this definitely didn't reflect her experience as a songwriter.I felt that hurt her chances in break through as well.She could definitely write a hit for a current artist whether she believes it or not.She could push the little underground following she had with Exodus into a behind the scene stance as a songwriter and build her popularity more.
Posted on: 2009/8/14 18:50
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
I felt Exodus was on par with her Japanese works.Easy Breezy aside maybe(though I don't dislike the song),the album held Utada's form of expression intact.Especially with Animato,Hotel Lobby,Kremlin Dusk,About me and YMMWTBAM.TiTO album however doesn't bare that in the slightest.It's pretty hard to convince me that STARGATE and Tricky didn't advise some of the lyrical decision on the album(though she stated that Automatic pt.2 was 100% her doing -_-).Song writing is something Utada excels at,but this definitely didn't reflect her experience as a songwriter.I felt that hurt her chances in break through as well.She could definitely write a hit for a current artist whether she believes it or not.She could push the little underground following she had with Exodus into a behind the scene stance as a songwriter and build her popularity more.

The thing is that Utada's goal seemed to be to strike mainstream popularity in America ... she apparently can't cater to the crowd that already likes her in order to do that. It's like how other groups have to decide "do we keep the same style and have a dedicated following or change our style and lose some of that hardcore fanbase in order to become mainstream"?

Even though TITO is less like her other music, you still have Utada's style in there ... honestly if the "dirtiest" thing she says in her album is "during my 9 to 5, I'm thinking 6 and 9" ... she isn't near the level of dirty lyrics many mainstream artists in America have (not to mention that that line is very Hikki style clever )

Utada's integrity as an artist will keep her from leaving the style that made her popular in the first place in Japan ... fortunately that's good for us
Posted on: 2009/8/14 19:13
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i just think the U.S is just close minded.....

they don't like songs that make sense or meaningful/spiritual, all they care about is sex, money, girls and drugs, hikki want to make this album mainstream, to fit in around here.
Posted on: 2009/8/14 19:56
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L eighteen&female&california
Quote:

<3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3 wrote:

they don't like songs that make sense or meaningful/spiritual, all they care about is sex, money, girls and drugs, hikki want to make this album mainstream, to fit in around here.

generalization! there are a few of us left who aren't like this...
Posted on: 2009/8/14 20:50
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

jesuislm wrote:
Quote:

True, but take one listen to mainstream radio and it sure seems like that's what sells CD's/MP3's these days.

I'll agree with LoBFCanti that "she could definitely write a hit for a current artist whether she believes it or not." I for one would love to see her write a tune for someone else or have someone currently with a following do one of her songs. One of my favorite performers - Amanda Ghost - may not have a large following, but she's co-written songs like "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt and tracks for Beyonce and Shakira. Yet Ghost invariably gives it her individualistic slant. I'd love to see Hikki do that and let the American audience get accustomed to her style of songwriting first, then maybe bust out on her own with a Top 40 hit.

Sorry if I talk too much, but Hikki is an artist whose music I truly love and I would really love to see her succeed in some fashion here in the States.
Posted on: 2009/8/15 5:19
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Quote:

Hazumuchan wrote:
Quote:

jesuislm wrote:
Quote:

True, but take one listen to mainstream radio and it sure seems like that's what sells CD's/MP3's these days.

I'll agree with LoBFCanti that "she could definitely write a hit for a current artist whether she believes it or not." I for one would love to see her write a tune for someone else or have someone currently with a following do one of her songs. One of my favorite performers - Amanda Ghost - may not have a large following, but she's co-written songs like "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt and tracks for Beyonce and Shakira. Yet Ghost invariably gives it her individualistic slant. I'd love to see Hikki do that and let the American audience get accustomed to her style of songwriting first, then maybe bust out on her own with a Top 40 hit.

Sorry if I talk too much, but Hikki is an artist whose music I truly love and I would really love to see her succeed in some fashion here in the States.

This is so spooky Hazumuchan, but Amanda Ghost, is my Mum and Dads major squeeze musically for quite sometime, from her early collaboration with EMF guitarist Ian Dench, Amanda sang some of the Vocals on "Colours" off Prodigy?s ?invaders must die?, double CD and also an executive for epic records, My Mum and Dad even have with them EMF 1991 ?Schubert Dip? CD rumoured to have been co-written by Amanda, could well be myth thought?

edit:It is a myth according to my calculation she would have been 12 lol

I agree Tori Amos and KT Tunstall too; have managed to maintain a level of musicianship that transcends the indelicate mainstream pop genre.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 6:38
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
i'm just saying the truth, srry if i offended anyone around here
Posted on: 2009/8/15 17:37
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Hmm i think what Aijin mean majority of US kinda closed minded about Music. Well i don't know about it since i'm not living there, or there is some conspiracy about why almost all music in US make dirty lyrics
Posted on: 2009/8/16 5:07
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Actually there is but If I was to try to explain it you guys wouldn't believe me.It's a theory but if you live here it would seem rather apparent. :/ no joking.
Posted on: 2009/8/16 7:52
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...6789101112...15>