<123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  gardenhose
      gardenhose
Re: Does she follow any religion?
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I don't really see why it matters what religion Hikki follows, if any.. I also don't see why someone doesn't want her to be religious. Religion is a personal choice, and as long as they aren't ramming their views down your throat I don't see why it would affect you.

Why don't one of you just ask her on Twitter?
Posted on: 2012/8/8 13:33
  •  Nyaanyaa
      Nyaanyaa
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L
Quote:
In one song, "Heart Station", she says:
"Kamisama dake ga shitte iru" (Only God knows)...

For all we know that could just be metaphorical, though. Personally, I kind of hope she isn't so delusional as to be religious in any way, but then it doesn't really matter. The beauty of her voice and music is second to none either way.
Posted on: 2012/8/7 16:53
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 22 / Male / Marseille
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Even her being Buddhist wouldn't define her religion though.I don't ever recall her stating a clear conception of a god in which she believes in before either :/

As far as I knew, she's agnostic, but these replies makes me doubt about it actually!

In one song, "Heart Station", she says:
"Kamisama dake ga shitte iru" (Only God knows)...

But which conception of God? Now that's a good question to ask for! But it prepared to assume that she, at least, believes in God?
She's not like all of those stars who clearly states her beliefs with precise sentences or something... That's why according to me, it's quite hard to define that!

I suppose the best thing we could do is looking for way to ask her, maybe through interviews or, let's get crazy, face to face!
Posted on: 2012/8/7 15:18
  •  hikkari
      hikkari
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
mm think by singing "across the universe " she's budhist
Posted on: 2010/12/8 20:26
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 23/Male/Austin & Dallas,TX U.S.A
I agree with what Turtle Fu says the most about this,s ince some other people have questioned this for some time. Most Japanese, for some reason or another, are not religious zealots and any discernible 'practices' or 'beliefs' related to it have less to do with affiliation than cultural obligation, unlike how we think and view it in the West (its similarly for China and even other Asian nations that have a more significant Christian (Protestant,Catholic,etc.) population and influence like South Korea,the Philippines, or Indonesia.

However, contrary to the statistics there are regarding Japan's secularity since the WW2 dissolution as the Emperor being 'a (sun) god' and the Japanese being 'God's people,' the majority og their population, especially nowadays isn't so much atheistic evolutionists as they are syncretic agnostics (i.e. 3/5 say they believe people evolved from monkeys and there is no 'absolute Truth'), however, that's a misleading notion when the typical ethnic resident there 'meditates @ Buddhist Temples, Gets Married @ christian churches, and has generic prayer times before exams with fellow students and teachers.' In other words, they are deeply spiritual with being overtly specfic to a deity concept like Jesus Christ, Muhammad, or even Buddha at this point. The Confucian values of respect and honoring different beliefs and people in general with the Tao concept of "Universal Flow" in going 'the right path' to their destiny does have religious context to it, even if they don't explicitly speak or adhere to it in public.

Being a Japanese-American and raised in a still Judeo-Christian centered U.S., I'd say she's a spiritual agnostic that leans a little more than most her ethnicity to an absolute deity. She did quote a bible verse in her original "Fly Me To The Moon" cover and mention God in the lyrics to 'Kairo (Sea Route),'This One (Crying Like A Child)' and 'Heart Station' which may have been more for melodramatic and introspective effect. She also was studying/reading a large volume of Catholic history when she was on the TITO tour (she posted a blog pic of it from a library) and did answer in an interview, "Oh, it's you again" when asked,"What would the first thing God would say to you once you got to heaven?"...tongue-in-cheek, I know, but sincere and straightforward nevertheless (unless she was nodding towards reincarnation ); She also said when penning new lyrics to Edith Piaf's "Hymne A L'amour" she wanted the Christian-inspired ending points of 'uniting in Heaven again w/ loved ones' to be from a Buddhist perspective to make it more relative to her Japanese audience, but the final lines can be taken in a fairly universal context. I'd say she's, as well as most Japanese now, are Universalist Secularists, meaning no religious obligations but fairly intuitive to the presence of higher powers and purposes than an earthly existence!
Posted on: 2010/11/16 10:56
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
It's very important that you understand the state of religion in Japan to begin with.
It's true that many Japanese are legitimate Buddhists. However, most Japanese, especially younger ones, do not follow any specific religion. Many do go to Buddhist temples, but it is more for Japanese tradition than for a religious reason. Japan is very different, where the lines between religion and culture is very blurred, and many people do things that are considered religious without knowing the religious reasoning behind them.

It's possible that she is Christian, but it is very unlikely, because Christianity is such a tiny minority in Japan. Going to a Catholic school also doesn't mean much, as many non-Catholics go to certain Catholic schools because they are considered to be very high-class.

Knowing this, as well as Hikki's extremely laid back personality, it is likely that she is not very religious at all, but is very open and receptive to multiple people's different beliefs.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 12:38
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
i think she mentioned in her blog that she went to a buddhist temple to pray(i think with her BF). being japanese, its not surprising if she is a buddhist.

i might be wrong.
Posted on: 2009/10/30 11:09
  •  jiaweitheone
      jiaweitheone
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 16/M/Singapore
I thought she's a Christian?
Posted on: 2009/10/30 8:34
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Even her being Buddhist wouldn't define her religion though.I don't ever recall her stating a clear conception of a god in which she believes in before either :/
Posted on: 2009/8/18 13:21
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
I don't think she follows a specific religion but is open to pretty much everything.
She does mention God in some of her blogs and I heard somewhere that she wanted to study buddhism.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 11:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>