Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
Underrated artist ?
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
I trying to find is there any singer that have his/her own uniqueness and talent.
Beside listening to of course "Utada Hikaru", i am listen to MISIA, Yoko Kanno , Tatsuro yamashita, Origa and hmmm Maki Goto improved after she with Sweet Black.

Can you guys tell me any singer that have uniqueness and talent, an artist that not stuck on the same genre and have his/her own style of music ?

And give also the link to listen their works

Thanks
Posted on: 2009/8/23 21:30
Re: Suggestion for unique and talented singer ?
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20 Male
There's alot. Of course not the exact same sound and voice, but they are simaler.

Imogen Heap
Radiohead
Epik High
Massive Attack
Robyn
Shikao Suga
BUCK-TICK

They all have a vary unique sound and voices.
Search for them on YouTube. Hope this helps.
Posted on: 2009/8/23 22:21
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
But which song that need to listen in order to show their uniqueness should i check it one by one.

Epic High some one once ask me to listen to them but i'm no fans of BoyBand

Probably its matter of taste
Posted on: 2009/8/23 22:37
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20 Male
Quote:

SwallowTail wrote:
But which song that need to listen in order to show their uniqueness should i check it one by one.

I was gonna leave that to you and find new music. But I'll just show you my favorite ones from them

Imogen Heap HeadLock, Hide And Seek, Loose Ends, Have You Got It In You, The Moment I Said It.

Radiohead. Bassicly all song from them you should check out you won't be dissipointed.

Epik High, Love Love Love, And all the songs on they're LoveScream album Like Butterfly Effect, Fallin, 쉿, 1분 1초, 1825 (Paper Cranes).

Massive Attack. All of them you should check out because Massive Attack has a differant artist for every song there like a band but uses differant singer to sing they're songs.

Robyn All of the songs on her self titled album (Robyn)

Suga Shikao i forgot the names of the english tranlations of his songs but look around for him.

and buck tick Kagerou
Posted on: 2009/8/23 22:45
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
I second Imogen Heap! You can actually hear her entire new album, "Ellipse" for free over at this handy-dandy link:
http://www.imogenheap.com/ellipse/

Songs I would suggest are "First Train Home", "Wait It Out", "Tidal", "Canvas" and "Half Life".
As a cool piece of trivia, the track "Earth" was recorded without any instruments whatsoever. Totally a Capella. The only sounds you hear are Imogen's voice, her beat boxing, and a bit of vocal distortion.

Also, here's the music video for her song "Goodnight and Go", from her previous album, "Speak for Yourself":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutKFVLj2A8

I'm also a huge fan of Amanda Palmer, the front woman and one-half of the band The Dresden Dolls. You can hear all her solo music over at this site:
http://whokilledamandapalmer.com/

Just click on "The Album" and choose the songs you want to hear. A player should automatically pop up on the next page, along with the lyrics. I suggest "Astronaut", "Ampersand", "Leeds United", "Guitar Hero", "Have to Drive" and "The Point of It All".
You can also see her fantastic video series for most of the songs on the album under "The Videos". If those are loading too slowly, here's her official YouTube where you can find them all:
http://www.youtube.com/user/amandapalmer
Here's the first part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwVH2YjgU4&feature=player_profilepage
The rest should be under "More From: Amanda Palmer". :3

There's also Joanna Newsom. She plays the harp. Some people don't like her voice, and some people take a while to get used to it. I really love it personally, but you can find out for yourself. You can listen to samples of her music on her official Drag City Records page over here:
http://www.joanna-newsom.com/

Scroll down to where all her albums are. You can play samples from "The Milk-Eyed Mender" and "Ys", her two full-length records. Additionally, here's the music video for "The Sprout and the Bean" from her first album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0uLrXP7U&feature=related

What else...
I really love Kate Nash and She & Him.

Kate Nash- Foundations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhC4E055OsY

She & Him- Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkzRyHa9a6g
(Yes, if you're wondering, that is Zooey Deschanel. :3)

Well, I think that's all for now. Gosh, no guys. I should get into more male performers. I'm surprised I actually can't think of any I really like. xD
Hope you like some of this stuff.

Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/8/23 23:23
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Posted on: 2009/8/24 10:03
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
How about Bj?rk?

Put a Ringo on it! You probably heard of her since she did a duet with Hikki. And you like Shiina, you're bound to like Tokyo Jihen as well.

Shiina Ringo:

Kabukicho no Joou

Gibbs

Koko de Kiss shite

Honnou

Marunouchi Sadistic [I'm just putting it up here because it's one of my favorite songs from her. xD]

Yame ni Furu Ame

Shiina Ringo - Shuukyou

Meisai

I Won't Last a Day Without You [ft. Utada Hikaru]

And then there is BONNIE PINK. Her earlier music could be describe as soft, acoustic rock with blues and jazz thrown in. Though her later works are a more "pop" and upbeat. Unlike many Japanese lyricists, she is quite direct and simplistic.

Orenji [This song is ancient. xD]

It's Gonna Rain

Heaven's Kitchen

Do you Crash?

Kingyo

Daisy

You Are Blue, So Am I

Tonight, the Night

Last Kiss

Private Laughter

So Wonderful

A Perfect Sky

I been listening to Regina Spektor lately and to put it plainly, she's quirky and her music is brilliant.

Fidelity

Samson

Eet

On The Radio

That Time
Posted on: 2009/8/24 10:23
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Taiyou wrote:
How about Bj?rk?

Put a Ringo on it! You probably heard of her since she did a duet with Hikki. And you like Shiina, you're bound to like Tokyo Jihen as well.

Shiina Ringo:

Kabukicho no Joou

Gibbs

Koko de Kiss shite

Honnou

Marunouchi Sadistic [I'm just putting it up here because it's one of my favorite songs from her. xD]

Yame ni Furu Ame

Shiina Ringo - Shuukyou

Meisai

And then there is BONNIE PINK. Her earlier music could be describe as soft, acoustic rock with blues and jazz thrown in. Though her later works are a more "pop" and upbeat. Unlike many Japanese lyricists, she is quite direct and simplistic.

It's Gonna Rain

Heaven's Kitchen

Do you Crash?

Daisy

You Are Blue, So Am I

Tonight, the Night

Last Kiss

Private Laughter

So Wonderful

A Perfect Sky

I been listening to Regina Spektor lately and to put it plainly, she's quirky and her music is brilliant.

Fidelity

Samson

Eet

On The Radio

That Time

I don't agree with that completely....and you didn't post Kingyo?
Posted on: 2009/8/24 13:24
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

LoBFCanti wrote:
Quote:

Taiyou wrote:
How about Bj?rk?

Shiina Ringo:

Kabukicho no Joou

Gibbs

Koko de Kiss shite

Honnou

Yame ni Furu Ame

Shiina Ringo - Shuukyou

Meisai

It's Gonna Rain

Heaven's Kitchen

Do you Crash?

Daisy

You Are Blue, So Am I

Tonight, the Night

Last Kiss

Private Laughter

So Wonderful

A Perfect Sky

Fidelity

Samson

Eet

On The Radio

That Time

I don't agree with that completely....and you didn't post Kingyo?

I knew you were going to say something...xD How should I describe her then? And I'll put "Kingyo" up.
Posted on: 2009/8/24 14:35
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
She uses an American form of expression with Japanese intellect to produce most of her songs.There are the rare ones that are very black or white(or rather Asian inspired or American inspired),Fallen Sun though in english is very Japanese in terms of metaphoric speech.Where a song like Coast to Coast is incredibly southern jazz sounding in arrangement and lyrical delivery.
Posted on: 2009/8/24 15:36
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
123>