Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  What the secret behind "First Love Album " success ?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
What the secret behind "First Love Album " success ?
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
This question pop up when i listen First love album

Flash Back to her "First Love" album, she make a massive success in no time in those year .

What exactly the secret behind this album, why this album can be so popular in Japan alone ?

There are a lot of new comer i believe in those year too, yet a new sensation and still teenager (Utada Hikaru ) in that year released an album "First Love" and make a big impact in Japan with 10 millions copies, how come ?

What kind direct or indirect approaches EMI's do to promote this album to the public ?

Does the lyrics it self or the album title "First Love" make Japanese people curious with her works ?

Her family and her mother name, Junko Utada a famous Enka singer in 70's and 80's help her promote her music ?

Is it pure luck or there is a team hard work behind this " First Love" Album ?

Any one know any article related to this massive success or an idea ?
Posted on: 2009/9/13 21:01
Re: What the secret behind "First Love Album " success ?
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 16 / M / Palembang
It's more like Utada bring a new music to Japan. Before her, there are no other Japanese RnB singer, while people in Japan very enthusiasm with American RnB like TLC, Mariah Carey, etc. (that's why Cubic U's Precious album sold more than 1 million copies in Japan)
Then Utada Hikaru came out with her own Japanese style RnB, she writes her own lyrics and melody, she can sing very good. That makes people in japan are so impressed.
While the other Japanese girl singer in that era just.. err.. dolls.
Posted on: 2009/9/14 0:46
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
IMO, it was part talent and luck. Luck and timing are important factors because without those two, you can be nothing even if you have such profound potential. I'd say she's blessed. She had (has) a lot of talent and she was lucky as well.
Posted on: 2009/9/14 9:53
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Her music was something new. It wasn't like every other Japanese pop artist. Her music was original with lyrics written herself. She had an amazing voice at such an age. I believe her parents took a part of her promotions and such. When Japan found out Hikki was Fuji Junko's daughter, they went crazy.
Posted on: 2009/9/14 10:38
  •  BBboy
      BBboy
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
I blame the cover....*inserts stereotypical joke of Japan obsessed with jail bait* >_>
Posted on: 2009/9/14 16:23
  •  <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
      <3_UtadaHikaru_Aijin_<3
Show Off!
A/S/L 17/M/Cal
there is no secret, she is just that talented, tats her first album guys, i mean comon lolz, she was a nobody when she release her album, then after that she was notice
Posted on: 2009/9/20 10:50
  •  yvliew
      yvliew
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
becuz she was 16 at the time.
Posted on: 2009/9/20 21:20
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Even though First Love is her best selling album of all time, I actually don't enjoy that album has much as I enjoy others. Anyone else here thinks that her other albums are better? Most probably because she wasn't that experienced yet during when she was making the album; FL.

So far I own most of her Japanese albums except for Ultra Blue (because I can't find it) and First Love. First Love can be easily found but I just don't feel like buying it.
Posted on: 2009/9/21 1:07
Administrator
A/S/L
First Love very fit well with the music trends at the time (10yrs ago).

First Love single was very good love song that struck an emotional chord with many.

It was also BEFORE MP3s. so people actually buy CDs. *glare @ u

She was one of the first to really mix English and Japanese together so well in lyrics.

Twitter: @UtadaNet
Posted on: 2009/9/21 1:31
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
here's my reasons why 'first love' was a success:

1. it was a good mix of different genres from old style ballads, to rock, to disco.

2. it was made by a 16 year old which was quite an achievement if you compare it to other artists older that Hikaru. (ur right yvliew!)

3. her voice was very innocent sounding and pure.

4. there is a certain 'rawness' to the album sound which adds to the beauty of the album.
Posted on: 2009/9/21 7:34
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>