•  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Popularity of Utada in Your Country
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
I'm from Malaysia.
People here don't really much listen to J-music, or at least that's what I've observed. Teenagers here mostly listen to korean pop.

Sadly, J music doesn't get much attention they deserve. Whenever I walk to the Japanese section of the music shop, there's not much of variety. It's so hard for me to find Utada's CDs. It's even worse when it comes to DVDs. (I can't find Utada United!) However, when it comes to Ayumi, most shops sell complete discography of hers. Not that I hate Ayumi, I'm just curious why they decide to ship in more Ayumi's stuff compared to Utada's.

So, what about you? How famous is Utada in your country?
By the way I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong category. I'm not really sure where to post this.
Posted on: 2009/9/18 3:51
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
Re: Popularity of Utada in Your Country
guest_Unregistered
I wish the US were more receptive to Asian music in general. With rare exception - Yoko Ono, Yo-Yo Ma - it just seems that there's not enough interest in music from anyone deemed too "different" in appearance. I have to wonder how much of that is racism and how much of it is based on perceived differences between Asian music and most US "mainstream" music. (Personally, I listen to very little US "mainstream" music since most of it seems to be R&B/Disney cookie-cutter fluff. I like the music I like regardless of popularity of the artist.)

Here in the States, I think gamers would be more likely to "get" Hikki due to the Kingdom Hearts connection. Or, if they've heard "Come Back To Me" on the radio, they might be more likely to "get" her (or at least TiTO). I think that she's a wonderful songwriter and an excellent singer who can seduce you with her voice. Yet like a lot of the artists/bands I listen to, I think she is very underrated here in the States.

Ironically, most of the music I listen to seems to come from Britain. That should let you know just how "in touch" I am with the current US music scene.
Posted on: 2009/9/18 4:48
  •  InS0mN1@c
      InS0mN1@c
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 17/M/Malaysia
Wow nice to see another Malaysian fan here!

=O
Posted on: 2009/9/18 5:25
  •  MiharuFroggy
      MiharuFroggy
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/F/Brunei
ooh, malaysian! I'm from brunei but i was born in KL!

back to topic...

I think the majority of the teenagers here know Utada, from KH, dramas or just generally from First Love. Her songs are played sometimes, i onceheard Eternally, You make me want to be a man and some others. The DJs sometimes favour her so they play her.

but it's J-pop and K-pop here ^^ they order some of Utada, Koda and Ayu original cds sometimes, recently there's a boom on import goods so i'm thinking it'll spread more?

I think there're more BoA fans though, somehow. But the otakus here kinda respect Utada.
Posted on: 2009/9/18 5:34
  •  jagamijs
      jagamijs
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 16 years old, Male, I'm living in Latvia (It's in Northern Europe), Ventspils (By the sea)
Here in Latvia you can look at some blogs about Japanese music, and maybe there you could find some who knows who Utada is...
Posted on: 2009/9/18 6:18
  •  loli-drop
      loli-drop
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/F/London
i live in the UK and i know a couple of people who like utada, but really jpop isnt very well known over here... (speaking of which where is pips_paradise...?)

more often that not people know about utada through other interests i think
Posted on: 2009/9/18 7:21
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
She does have a many fans who initially knew her through Kingdom Hearts. Simple & Clean was my first Hikki song. I didn't finish the game but I always have the habit of downloading the soundtracks of the games I play. Thus, I got to know the existence of sucha brilliant artist.

It's frustrating when I can't buy her stuff due to her low popularity in my country. It doesn't help much that I don't have a friggin' credit card. >_>

Speaking of Come Back to Me, it was played in my country for less than a month if I'm not wrong. That's SAD. I don't get it. Usually such songs get really high plays.

@ InS0mN1@c : hi there! It is really nice to see a malaysian fan here. And I thought I was all alone, how stupid.

@MiharuFoggy : oh yes, you're right. BOA is indeed quite popular. There's a lot of their stuff being sold in my country as well.
Posted on: 2009/9/18 9:46
  •  Hikki4life4ever
      Hikki4life4ever
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L _/Female/Pye Green,UK
I don't know anyone who likes Utada's music apart from my older sister.
Jpop's Not the UK's thing. I Love it....but....My fellow people hate me for liking it....:(
YAY! Another British Fan!

Love is like a mix of extremes: anxiety and peace - 宇多田 ヒカル / Utada Hikaru
Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:40
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
From personal experiences, I'd that my asian friends know who she is but not so much with non-asian friends. Because of the number of asians who live in cali (due to Silicon Valley), I think she's probably more recognized here than most other states due to many J-towns, C-towns, K-towns, asian supermarkets and shops that'd allow for a greater market for people to sell asian media in general. However, with the increased in illegal downloading, I've seen quite a few of these shops close down in the past few years..

Btw, I saw a poster promoting TITO at a tapioca place in my college town. =D
Posted on: 2009/9/18 10:42
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Hikki did a lightening visit to the UK circa Exodus?.Utada?s interview was broadcast on channel 4 news, and promoted as an Japanese underground phenomenon credited with achieving the fastest selling album in Japans history along with a half page article in the Guardian and Hikki was gone?..

This year on my 18th Birthday my family and friends arranged a Hikki themed party, on the invite they insisted that all party goers adopt a Hikki themed style and that meant guys had to queen it up?Dads idea?.. ?way to go? Dad? a couple of Hikki links were attached to inspire some serious costume ideas, and nobody disappointed, and we attracted quite a bit of attention locally with plenty of Hikki beats to last all night, what was inspiring for me personally was that many of my so call cool friends egos allowing genuinely enjoy Hikki songs, allowing for some strange dance moves.

The message was a respect for Hikki as a songwriter and musician, so it?s thanks to Communities like Utadanet, and it?s UK membership that actively share Utada with family, friends, and new acquaintances spreading the word that if broadcasters and TV companies in particular won?t actively support World Musicians the calibre of Utada, then diverse musical cultures that can inspire a new style of sounds and beats will be lost to Europe hopefully not forever..

Edit: Hi loli-drop i'm right behind you Lol
Posted on: 2009/9/18 13:54
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...8>