<12345678>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  sokuri
      sokuri
Re: Who here speaks Japanese?
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 25/F/Kobe, Japan
はい、私は日本語を話せます。専門は日本語だから。日本語はとてもきれいで面白い言語だから三年ぐらい勉強したわけです。そして今年、日本に行って早稲田大学で勉強します。。よろしくね〜 (つ^_^)つ
Posted on: 2010/1/20 20:02
  •  sokuri
      sokuri
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 25/F/Kobe, Japan
本当ごめんね。。For some reason my post got uploaded twice....and I cant seem to get this post to delete itself...I tried hitting cancel post but no luck =(
Anyways, if anyone ever needs help with Japanese just PM me...I'd love to help out!
Posted on: 2010/1/20 20:02
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
I'm a bit confused with Suman , Sumimasen and Gomene. Is there any different between those apologize words ?
Posted on: 2010/1/20 20:15
  •  sokuri
      sokuri
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 25/F/Kobe, Japan
Ive actually never heard "suman" before..But as far as the other two go..In order to better explain this I'm gonna list three main words that act as apologizing/excuse me words

1)shitsureishimasu
2)sumimasen
3)gomenasai

Starting from the first one.."shitsureishimasu" is strictly used to mean "excuse me"...I most often use it as Im walking into or leaving my sensei's office (use shitsureishimashita as your leaving..its the past tense) ...It has a very formal feel to it IMO...
I've always considered "sumimasen" to translate for "excuse me" but it also can act like "Im sorry to make you go through the trouble" or "excuse me for making you do all that"....I've actually heard it used when someone receives a gift...So this word is kind of in the middle with the two meanings...It can be either excuse me or Im sorry depending on the context...
Lastly, "gomen" to acts strictly like "I'm Sorry"... the "ne" part after "gomen" is simply a female sentence final particle and a male would say "gomen na" or just "gomen"...

Im sure there could probably be an even more detailed description of the three words but so far this has been my experience with them. I hope that helps!
Posted on: 2010/1/21 10:52
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
*coughcough*

Just wanted to revive this thread. I've finally gotten serious about learning Japanese. I still know hiragana and katakana and am slowly learning Kanji with an hour of practice everyday. I bought a Kanji book and a book on speaking recently and I was wondering why the cashier was flipping through the books. And to my surprise, the cashier just happened to be getting her degree in Japanese Language. She yelled "ganbatte!" on my way out. (a sign?)
Posted on: 2010/7/19 6:51
  •  matty-sakura
      matty-sakura
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19 / m / edinburgh
definitely a sign!
wish that had happened when i bought my books
i'll be starting my second year of japanese at uni level in september, so i've got the basics down, buuuuuuut...
i'm nowhere near fluent
any help / useful phrases etc would be massively appreciated!
Posted on: 2010/7/19 9:47
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
My schools don't offer Japanese, but I'm taking Spanish instead.

I've taught myself some Japanese, and I know a lot of the simple and basic Kanji. I also know very little bit of the harder kanji, and very few compounds. I also memorized the kana too. I know basic sentences, but I really can't make that many sentences due to all the rulings and conjugations. Oh well, I hope there will be a Japanese class at a future college I will be going to. There was something about taking online Japanese courses for at this college because I'm old enough, but I haven't looked into it yet. I don't know how they teach it, whether if it is all in romaji, in kana, or how quickly they teach the Kanji to be able to be used in it. I'm still in high school though, so IDK about time. I hope to live in Japan for a little while to improve my Japanese after studying it long enough, and hope I go to a place where I could take the JLPT. They don't offer the JLPT in my area.

I have a couple questions for those who speak Japanese, and these may seem ridiculous and/or redundant to you guys. I just want to get an understanding for future studies.

1. When do you know how to use the On and the Kun-Yomi for each Kanji? Is it all different depending on the compound?
2. What do you do when you stumble across a kanji you never see before?

http://www.japanesepod101.com/
I've heard this is a good site for learning Japanese, but you have to pay for it. I don't have a job, and my parents would think I'm crazy xD.
Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:51
  •  matty-sakura
      matty-sakura
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19 / m / edinburgh
hablo un poco de espa?ol tambien

trade you some japanese for some spanish, heh heh

oh, and some answers:

1. it's down to memory. the majority of my teachers are native speakers, and even they say that there isn't a set pattern to it.

2. copy it down and check a dictionary / the internet later. if copying it isn't possible, try to memorise how many strokes it has, or what its radical is (the component that determines what semantic field it belongs to).

so yeah, memory is key. there's not really a short cut to learning kanji. hope that helps.
Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:25
  •  Kumachang
      Kumachang
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
My schools don't offer Japanese, but I'm taking Spanish instead.

I've taught myself some Japanese, and I know a lot of the simple and basic Kanji. I also know very little bit of the harder kanji, and very few compounds. I also memorized the kana too. I know basic sentences, but I really can't make that many sentences due to all the rulings and conjugations. Oh well, I hope there will be a Japanese class at a future college I will be going to. There was something about taking online Japanese courses for at this college because I'm old enough, but I haven't looked into it yet. I don't know how they teach it, whether if it is all in romaji, in kana, or how quickly they teach the Kanji to be able to be used in it. I'm still in high school though, so IDK about time. I hope to live in Japan for a little while to improve my Japanese after studying it long enough, and hope I go to a place where I could take the JLPT. They don't offer the JLPT in my area.

I have a couple questions for those who speak Japanese, and these may seem ridiculous and/or redundant to you guys. I just want to get an understanding for future studies.

1. When do you know how to use the On and the Kun-Yomi for each Kanji? Is it all different depending on the compound?
2. What do you do when you stumble across a kanji you never see before?

http://www.japanesepod101.com/
I've heard this is a good site for learning Japanese, but you have to pay for it. I don't have a job, and my parents would think I'm crazy xD.

May I add my 2 cents

1. Well, the usual rules are :
>A kanji alone is usually read KUN (there are some exceptions like 本 HON for book (which is actually read moto in Kun-yomi))

>Kanji compounds are usually read ON : 日本 NIHON, etc. - there are quite a few kun compounds though (青空aozora, etc.)

> the main problem is: exceptions... and there are many of them xD they even get mixed sometimes like 場所 baSHO (kun + ON yomi mixed) but this is quite rare...

The first 2 rules apply in MOST cases, so I'd keep that in mind first. The rest is "Learning by doing" - practice, practice, practice

2. another comfortable option would be to get an electronic dictionary (I guess they are sold in Japan only, though?) or Kanji games for Nintendo DS. You simply copy the characters onto the touchscreen and that's it - VERY convenient
Posted on: 2010/7/30 17:31
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Well, I guess that makes sense. Every language has their own exceptions, so I am glad that I could see it here. I knew it was something with the compound, but just needed to make sure. A thing I see is that some kanji use several pronunciations, and that is what made me ask the question. It used other pronunciations that I haven't seen while looking at the on-yomi and the kun-yomi for the kanji.
Posted on: 2010/7/30 19:45
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345678>