Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Wonder Girls debut on the Hot 100!
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
Check out this interview:

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/breaking-entering-the-wonder-girls-1004044868.story

JYP mentions hikki.

Quote:
"Watching amazing singers like Hikaru Utada from Japan and Coco Lee from China fail was really hard. I was trying to really analyze why these amazing artists couldn't crack the Billboard charts. I came to the conclusion that they changed their color when they moved into the U.S. They became too similar to American artists. They hired major American producers like Timbaland, and they ended up losing their true color," says Park. "I basically wrote and composed the song 'Nobody,' and we didn't change our image or our color coming into the U.S. We remained true to ourselves."
Posted on: 2009/11/20 23:36
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
For me, Hikki didn't fail. She's still number 1.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 23:43
  •  teiku5
      teiku5
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L USA
JYP needs to shut up, he doesn't know the whole situation with Hikki or the choices she made for her US music. Reason for her not breaking in the US is her label's fault..and besides Wonder Girls would be worse off than BoA if it wasn't for the use of the Jonas Brothers.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 23:47
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Someone needs some humble pie....more like a humble-kick-to-the-face

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2009/11/21 23:29
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Incoming wall of text.

Wonder Girls sounded good with Nobody. However, a song easily translated into english, with an english feel to it already is going to be easy success. American People want to see...well themselves. Wonder Girls pretty much did that. The big difference is that they bring to the table something that hasn't been done in a while: A Girl Group. I'm not trying to water down their success, it's a good combination. Personally, I feel that BoA's success was ruined by her fans being overly picky and Asian-philes. If it wasn't the Asian stuff, it wasn't right. I also believe that Exodus was the fanbase as well. (Granted, one song was a bit...iffy, but that was still a great CD) People wanted the Japanese Hikki songs to American, etc.

Both BoA and Utada had issues due to the fanbase (not saying everyone, but enough of the people complaining early on to make waves.) and maybe a bad song choice. BoA's I believe was due almost entirely to the fanbase. The first issue was the "Eat you Up" MV. The second version was NOT bad. As a matter of fact it made MORE sense than version A. (Went much more along with the song.) The dancing was equally as good. People just chewed it up because they were so obsessed with what came out of Asia. Then people were like, "That's not BoA..." "What kind of songs are these? BoA doesn't do that." It was Pop/RnB. It's what BoA does. The same goes for Utada. She is still Utada...she's writing her own freaking music. If it's not Utada, then who is it? Songs had underlying meaning to them and some of them were straight fire.

Now with Utada's 2 releases and BoA's there was another problem. Advertisement, and availability. I remember I had to visit FOUR different stores before I found a copy of the CD. The sad part is nobody knew of the release, and I found the CD, not the employee. That was the nightmare fo Exodus. For BoA's CD, I went to about 4 or 5 different stores before I found it.Then I had to order it off Amazon. Freakin' Utada's CD pissed me off because I RESERVED the friggin' CD. Then they were like, "Oh, well we didn't get any copies in. We can order it for you." I was like 'eff that, give me my money. I went home, and when I was about to get it off Amazon, someone told me about her CD at Walmart in a different city. I was headed there later, anyway, so I got it then. It's a nightmare trying to get stuff when there's no release support.

I don't think JYP's arguements are sound at all. It's sad that he's gotta act so cocky. I still wish the best for Wonder Girls. They deserve it. I just hope BoA isn't discouraged, nor is Utada. (She's got sold out shows. I have friends that missed the ticket sales. I also have people that were willing to go check her out.)
Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:46
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Quote:

LL_Rain wrote:
Incoming wall of text.

Wonder Girls sounded good with Nobody. However, a song easily translated into english, with an english feel to it already is going to be easy success. American People want to see...well themselves. Wonder Girls pretty much did that. The big difference is that they bring to the table something that hasn't been done in a while: A Girl Group. I'm not trying to water down their success, it's a good combination. Personally, I feel that BoA's success was ruined by her fans being overly picky and Asian-philes. If it wasn't the Asian stuff, it wasn't right. I also believe that Exodus was the fanbase as well. (Granted, one song was a bit...iffy, but that was still a great CD) People wanted the Japanese Hikki songs to American, etc.

I love how delusional you are

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:53
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

DEEPRlVER wrote:
Quote:

LL_Rain wrote:
Incoming wall of text.

I don't know whether to agree...or strongly agree.But the way I see it,"Nobody" blends well and at the same time is catchy enough for people to pay attention long enough to realize "these girls are attractive" or should I say,being actively promoted.Exodus didn't fail among the fans,it just sold bad.I didn't even feel she compromised there,whereas in TiTO,she did without question!BoA fans(I'm jumping ship with her for the time being) know that she has done better,but again that's not what cause the poor sales.

Group vs solo,Group often wins no?Especially while touring with the Jonas Brothers.Wait....I think that might be it.
Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:34
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

teiku5 wrote:
JYP needs to shut up, he doesn't know the whole situation with Hikki or the choices she made for her US music. Reason for her not breaking in the US is her label's fault..and besides Wonder Girls would be worse off than BoA if it wasn't for the use of the Jonas Brothers.

I didn't even realized you posted it already.
Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:37
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Quote:

DEEPRlVER wrote:

I don't know why you are taking things OUT of context...nevermind. Trolling must be fun to some people.

To LoBFCanti:
Yeah, the Jonas Brothers did help, xD. Still if they were bad they wouldn't have gotten much recognition. Which is why I said I'm not taking away from their success. JYP's statement was what irked me to go off on that tangent. Lol, I so much prefer to say things in person.

As far as BoA-
I know, like other people do, BoA has done better. However...the complaining about it really did hurt her more than help her. Bad advertisement, bad marketing, amongst other things.

On Utada:
When Exodus was released...I heard far more complaints in general than I did about TiTO.

I personally love TiTO and find it a bit of a better album. She compromised(in SOME things) but I was more impressed with the improved control in her vocal abilities. Listen to her in Exodus, and listen to her now. So much growth. Also, she managed to have lyrics that still kept her style of doing things, but appealed to the American audience more. I'd say it was a step forward for her, truly. (I know people will probably get offended for no reason because of that.) I'm looking at progress, and I see it. As an artist myself, I see it from more than one angle. One has to know how to adapt. You can't stay the same. You can be yourself and adjust with the situation. ^_^ I think Utada did a good job of that.
Posted on: 2009/11/24 22:30
  •  teiku5
      teiku5
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L USA
Apparently the Wonder Girls are gonna be on So You Think You Can Dance on December 9th. They are performing Nobody...
Source

Why the heck could BoA not get on the show when she dances way more than them.
Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>