Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Discussion
  What do you think of the Hikikomori demographic?

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Re: What do you think of the Hikikomori demographic?
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
I do believe it is safe to say that most Asian parents are very unapproachable. It's difficult to find Asian parents who are very open minded to most issues and are willing to discuss them with their children. Despite the modern world that we live in, there are still many taboos in most Asian families. It does make sense that this might be linked to Hikkomori.

I think it's stupid that people react that way when you display your emotions. There's nothing wrong with you feeling sad and crying. After all, we're all human beings. People need to be more open minded about this.
Posted on: 2009/11/20 6:36
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
It's not a common concern people have because it's consider abnormal.It's not even about if it's right/wrong,it something people are told to keep to themselves :/ What the hell is society's problem?
Posted on: 2009/11/22 17:28
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
I think I know why most people are told to keep things to themselves these days.

Since the birth of popular social networking sites such as blogs, MySpace, FB, Friendster, I realized certain members of such site abuse those sites to post a lot about their so called depressed life. The truth is, their life isn't depressing at all. Most of them are just minor problems and the way the post their sad little personal lives are so full of crap. Not only that, they take the opportunity to post photos of themselves looking extremely.. what do you call that.. "EMO"? Because we've all grown to become tired of this crap, people nowadays cannot distinguish between genuine scenarios and fake ones.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe these people have made it more difficult for us to express ourselves.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 3:23
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
I'm glad that I'm appreciated.

^_^

Hmm. I won't go too deeply into your personal life, LoBFCanti but I often say that you should not compromise yourself for any purpose. Aside from self-gain that is. And the latter clause can only be an exception of your choosing. Sometimes it's okay to treat life's personal rules as more of a "guideline" (Pirates of the Carribean, lol). I am, more or less, rigid in my personal beliefs and ways.

Such that I say to you that you should never cast doubt onto yourself for whom you are. Just accept it and whether that fits you into the world or not should be damned fact to begin with. Lying to yourself, to use an example, makes "John" married to a pretty girl for 20 years and in his 40's with three children, SURPRISE! He comes out of the closet wearing his wife's hose and make up. John has put his own true self aside and compromised. At least though, at 43 (etc) he's found the courage to really be himself and happier - if not that, free.

I won't get too personal (once again) but because of my personal past and the way that I am, I have concluded that I am, and should be a certain way. If I should not be happy, then it is not meant to be; I will accept it. But it is better than being someone that I am not.

If it is in your cards, then your happiness will come to you. If not.. then.. well - too bad.

(BTW: I'm not calling you homosexual. Another disclaimer: I have no beef with gays. Do what you guys feel like.)

In an attempt to be topical and more specific - perhaps it is the people's inherent weakness that makes them fall prey and cave under society's pressures. But they are not entirely to blame; humans have not evolved to cope with such stresses and psychological torments as we see all too commonly in the last 20 years especially. Society - or rather it's current state, is left to blame.

To address your point from my vantage: society does not actively make people zombies or robots (BoA anyone, lol) but rather it encourages it. Any outside of norm (or standardized range of social deviance - as I like to call it) is straight away jested, mocked, disrespected and then finally - ostracized. It is just the way that things are and perhaps always have been. There will always be the THEM and US kind of mentality. It's only a question of the numerical ratio.

Let's consider the Goth and then EMO movement. Why does society produce these people? In the 50s, there were rebels - but they were limited in number and unsocial habits. But from say, the 1980's and onwards the amount of self proclaimed social outcasts have arisen to an incredible degree. I think that society has become even more cruel and intolerant in these times; which is absolute irony when you think about the age that we live in. Or perhaps society itself has become so commercial, so robotic and so stagnant in its own ways that more and more people cannot see themselves as being a willing part of it.

Hell, I'm 26 going on 27 and looking for Nursing homes to wipe my ass and STILL, even now, I haven't found my niche.

Oh, for the record, because of my introverted nature and my history, I'm a very unfeeling kind of person. (Inside and out). But I make a point of mocking my overly sensitive and 'feely' male friend for showing feelings. I'm sorry LoBFCanti - I'd probably make fun of you IRL for the lulzies too!
Posted on: 2009/11/23 18:58
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Amaterasu wrote:
I'm glad that I'm appreciated.

^_^

Hmm. I won't go too deeply into your personal life, LoBFCanti but I often say that you should not compromise yourself for any purpose. Aside from self-gain that is. And the latter clause can only be an exception of your choosing. Sometimes it's okay to treat life's personal rules as more of a "guideline" (Pirates of the Carribean, lol). I am, more or less, rigid in my personal beliefs and ways.

Such that I say to you that you should never cast doubt onto yourself for whom you are. Just accept it and whether that fits you into the world or not should be damned fact to begin with. Lying to yourself, to use an example, makes "John" married to a pretty girl for 20 years and in his 40's with three children, SURPRISE! He comes out of the closet wearing his wife's hose and make up. John has put his own true self aside and compromised. At least though, at 43 (etc) he's found the courage to really be himself and happier - if not that, free.

I won't get too personal (once again) but because of my personal past and the way that I am, I have concluded that I am, and should be a certain way. If I should not be happy, then it is not meant to be; I will accept it. But it is better than being someone that I am not.

If it is in your cards, then your happiness will come to you. If not.. then.. well - too bad.

(BTW: I'm not calling you homosexual. Another disclaimer: I have no beef with gays. Do what you guys feel like.)

In an attempt to be topical and more specific - perhaps it is the people's inherent weakness that makes them fall prey and cave under society's pressures. But they are not entirely to blame; humans have not evolved to cope with such stresses and psychological torments as we see all too commonly in the last 20 years especially. Society - or rather it's current state, is left to blame.

To address your point from my vantage: society does not actively make people zombies or robots (BoA anyone, lol) but rather it encourages it. Any outside of norm (or standardized range of social deviance - as I like to call it) is straight away jested, mocked, disrespected and then finally - ostracized. It is just the way that things are and perhaps always have been. There will always be the THEM and US kind of mentality. It's only a question of the numerical ratio.

Let's consider the Goth and then EMO movement. Why does society produce these people? In the 50s, there were rebels - but they were limited in number and unsocial habits. But from say, the 1980's and onwards the amount of self proclaimed social outcasts have arisen to an incredible degree. I think that society has become even more cruel and intolerant in these times; which is absolute irony when you think about the age that we live in. Or perhaps society itself has become so commercial, so robotic and so stagnant in its own ways that more and more people cannot see themselves as being a willing part of it.

Hell, I'm 26 going on 27 and looking for Nursing homes to wipe my ass and STILL, even now, I haven't found my niche.

Oh, for the record, because of my introverted nature and my history, I'm a very unfeeling kind of person. (Inside and out). But I make a point of mocking my overly sensitive and 'feely' male friend for showing feelings. I'm sorry LoBFCanti - I'd probably make fun of you IRL for the lulzies too!

bumb, and T-T at the last part of that.
edit:bump even.
Posted on: 2009/11/24 21:10
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Since you mentioned unfeeling, it does feel familiar. I am too kinda 'unfeeling' or maybe my face just doesn't show much expressions; thus, most of the time people think that I'm very stuck up which is totally false. I just don't like showing much of my emotions.

Btw, I just recalled that I read an article a few weeks back. The author himself is an introvert and he wrote about the misconceptions of most people have towards introverts. It's sad that people think introverts do not like to communicate with others. And from what he said, I find it true that it's not that we do not like to socialize or communicate with others, it's just that we can't do it all day long. Like what he said, it's "tiring" for introverts to do it all day long. Unlike extroverts, socializing all day long isn't the way to keep us rejuvenated. In fact, introverts need time alone to rejuvenate.

What do you guys think?
Posted on: 2009/11/26 7:45
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:
Since you mentioned unfeeling, it does feel familiar. I am too kinda 'unfeeling' or maybe my face just doesn't show much expressions; thus, most of the time people think that I'm very stuck up which is totally false. I just don't like showing much of my emotions.

Btw, I just recalled that I read an article a few weeks back. The author himself is an introvert and he wrote about the misconceptions of most people have towards introverts. It's sad that people think introverts do not like to communicate with others. And from what he said, I find it true that it's not that we do not like to socialize or communicate with others, it's just that we can't do it all day long. Like what he said, it's "tiring" for introverts to do it all day long. Unlike extroverts, socializing all day long isn't the way to keep us rejuvenated. In fact, introverts need time alone to rejuvenate.

What do you guys think?

I agree.Sometimes you just find it to hard to put in the effort.I felt it was a terrible habit of mine's though.I formed this routine of locking myself in my room or going to a secluded spot listening to "CIBBICO-san" or "heal" on loop for hours as a source of necessary relaxation.I felt that I shouldn't intentional put myself away from people,because I really would like to be more socially active(mind you I still do this religiously!).
Posted on: 2009/11/26 8:19
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
Totes agree!

Yes, I like people just fine for the most part, but I do need ME TIME. And nothing pisses me off more than not having ME TIME.

Sorry LoBFCanti - just bein' honest.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 15:06
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Yup, it is a bad habit. As much as I know it's bad, I can't help it. It gets so frustrating when I lose time for myself and when that happens, it's not a good thing because I end up being short tempered. It's complicated. The other day, I told my mom about this and she thinks I'm falling into 'confirmation bias'. She just does not get it.

Anyhow, for next semester, I'd be taking Psychology as one of my electives. Perhaps it'll help me to comprehend more of this problem.
Posted on: 2009/11/27 7:01
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:
Yup, it is a bad habit. As much as I know it's bad, I can't help it. It gets so frustrating when I lose time for myself and when that happens, it's not a good thing because I end up being short tempered. It's complicated. The other day, I told my mom about this and she thinks I'm falling into 'confirmation bias'. She just does not get it.

Anyhow, for next semester, I'd be taking Psychology as one of my electives. Perhaps it'll help me to comprehend more of this problem.

I'm taking my psychology now.And it actually convince that all though it's always optional,therapy can be effective.
Posted on: 2009/11/30 10:13
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>