<12345...7>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Re: JYP thinks Utada "failed" in the US
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
I find JYP's comment completely racist...

He didn't mention any koreans who have attempted to make it... let's see there is Bi, BoA and Se7en and i honestly think they're a lot better than WG .... but bi and se7en never promoted really.... at least bi has his acting career going for him these days...se7en... idk what happened to him and BoA just needs better promotion... i'm not trying to say they failed... but jyp is trying to point out artist who have attempted to make it into the american market ... and somehow he didn't mention any koreans.

JYP only mentions Japan's Utada and China's Coco Lee... i definitely think it was RACIST... and honestly he didn't even need to mention utada or coco lee at all... i think JYP wants it to seem that WG are bigger stars in Asia than Utada and Coco Lee... and he didn't bother mentioning fellow Korean artist because he probably didn't want to upset korean fans.

WE KNOW utada isn't a failure... her tour is practically half sold out WITH NO PROMOTION!

something i doubt wg will ever be able to do...
Posted on: 2009/11/22 0:15
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
I think what JYP doesn't understand is that unlike Wondergirls, who are entertainers, Utada is a musician. Entertainers are the ones who are so worked up about "make it or not" but musicians just want to make music and have people enjoy it, regardless of audience size.

One thing I find interesting though is that in 50+ years, Utada's records will still be selling. Because there is something artistic, interesting, and special about her work. Wondergirls music, as fun and entertaining as it is, is really just dispensable pop. All in all, I think it is unfair for JYP to say she never made it when the goal may never have been to "make it" in the first place for her. Obviously she wants to do well, but most musicians would love to have sold as many albums as she did in the states.

I don't want to flame Wondergirls but in comparison to Utada I find them to be generic and dispensable. I would love it if come Jan. the Dirty Desire remix becomes a huge hit and JYP and the Wondergirls will only make it by riding on the tail of Utada.
Posted on: 2009/11/22 2:25
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
I don?t get JYP, this was an opportunity to generate interest and promote Asian popular music culture in general, result JYP goes negative, what is their possibly to gain by irritating Utada and Coco Lee fans alike who share common musical interests and the purchasing power necessary to set the difference between success and failure for his prot?g?s??.?
Posted on: 2009/11/22 8:18
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
There are other Koreans who tried also... Crap. I can't remember who they were though! 1 girl who worked with Lil John and another was working with Big Boi from Outkast (maybe it was se7en?). I don't remember.
Posted on: 2009/11/22 10:04
  •  kayoko
      kayoko
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 30/M/KOR
lets settle this shall we? i really dont comprehend what JYP intends calling out those two singers...maybe wg can be more likeable to the US crowd immediately(seeing 'nobody' hit #76 on the US list while hikki's didnt), but new groups like wg come out like everyday in korea(i seriously hate how groups are formed in korea) so they come and go very easily...hit songs like 'nobody' you see are good one day, but then boom its old...while hikki, may not have success on the charts but im sure she'll last longer in america...coco lee i havent heard much of her stuff but i wish her the best of luck on her plans in the US...

aquaticdragons said it right, she sold practically half of her tour tickets with no promotion...i think that is a huge success..hard work paying off..while you see wg touring with the jonas brothers..thats like a guarantee being liked whether you suck or not...so hikki made it harder on herself not going together with someone to promote TITO but i think she's made tons more progress than wg or any other group(look for 2pm in the future) JYP plans to bring to america...ive seen JYP on tv...a prick...even looks like a prick...dont worry about what that guy says...very popular singer a while back, but he's got no right saying who succeeded and who failed when he hasnt tried going abroad...if he has..im sure he failed as well because ive lived in the US for quite a while and ive never heard anything from him in america...

and for the color thing...stupid for him to say that seeing hikki started singing in new york(cubic u)..where wg moved and had to learn a whole language...so wg basically changed colors...style may be same, but who wants to hear singers trying to sing in english with an accent...more like learn english then try again.

dont worry guys...a korean's got hikki's back believe it or not...lol
Posted on: 2009/11/22 10:34
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

ItsDaveyJ wrote:

One thing I find interesting though is that in 50+ years, Utada's records will still be selling.

Honestly, I don't think Hikki's music would hit Beatles status and still sell like hotcakes in fifty years or so. Maybe it will sell like hotcakes, exclusively in Asian countries, for the fact that "First Love" is the best-selling (and forever will be) album in Japan of all-time. But not because of the music itself.

As for the Wonder Girls...meh. It seems like they will only appeal to the "tween" and teen audience. Then they'll thrive for the next few years and eventually die out. They're idol groups, their popular songs are fun to listen and the rest of their works are mediocre.

And Korean girl groups (maybe with an exception the Brown Eyed Girls, excluding that ridiculous song called Abracadabra.) are strange. Actually, the whole Korean pop scene is strange itself.
Posted on: 2009/11/22 13:41
  •  teiku5
      teiku5
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L USA
I have not heard a single bit of WG here in the US, only Jonas fans might know about them. Hikki changing colors? Ha! JYP is full of it.

WG will not become famous with gimmick songs like 'Nobody' in the US.
Posted on: 2009/11/22 14:57
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Utada is a legend. WG is an idol group. Comparing these two to one another is just so ridiculous.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:59
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
That was a quite daring and interesting comment from JYP. Not a wise move for a manager, his gonna create a flame between UH fans , CL fans. He should think before do this statement. Or maybe this is one of his plan.... anything controversial will sell, and many people will check and try to compare between those singers.

I heard Coco Lee released new single , i'm sure though.... not followed her to much.Well she start in US before Utada though. But

Just wait and see, what will happen after Utada make a come back return after a long time rest, with "In The Flesh" 2010 tour.
Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:02
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
This is ridiculously hilarious. Is that JYP dude stupid or what? I'm no huge fan of Kpop but I do listen to a few Kpop songs from time to time. They're fun to listen to and I get bored before I hit 100 plays for each song, which only shows one thing, they've got no substance. There's not much replay value. Oh well, after all most Kpop sounds like typical pop and I don't like pop that much. I'll use Big Bang as an example. Their first few hit songs are okay, but after that they got more awful and awful. Geez, don't get me started.

Anyway why did that stupid guy compare Utada and WG? I'd say both belong to different genre. He's trying to compare someone who composes, arranges, produces, writes and also sing her songs with those who don't. Correct me if they do. And anyway let's not forget that Utada doesn't even need those SUPER NICE costumes, heavy makeup or funky dance moves to become popular. That. my friend, is music with substance. If she doesn't make it in the US, it'll be a shame. It can't be help, it's not like everyone knows how to appreciate good music.

Oh.. even if she doesn't make it in the US, she's already too successful for words. And I am also glad she doesn't need to tour with the Jonas Bros. Holy crap, if she were to tour with them, I'd faint. No, I'd die.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 2:24
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<12345...7>