Poster Thread
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Re: JYP thinks Utada "failed" in the US
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
Quote:

Taiyou wrote:

Honestly, I don't think Hikki's music would hit Beatles status and still sell like hotcakes in fifty years or so. Maybe it will sell like hotcakes, exclusively in Asian countries, for the fact that "First Love" is the best-selling (and forever will be) album in Japan of all-time. But not because of the music itself.

I never said she would sell as much as the Beatles. I'm saying that compared to the WG her music will last much longer. I doubt ANYONE will outsell the Beatles for a lonnngg time XD
Posted on: 2009/11/23 3:52
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
I think that you guys are being too emotional and defensive about all of this.

JYP did not say that WG were in any way better than Coco/Utada.

What JYP did say is his (their) opinion on why prevalent, talented stars like Hikki failed in their attempts by changing themselves to more suit the western taste.

He did not quote TITO and was probably only referring to the failure that was EXODUS. This interview may pre-date TITO's release.

Chill out!
Posted on: 2009/11/23 7:36
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Artistically, I don't see the Exodus album as a failure at all. It has such an eclectic sound, for one, that it garnered a lot of additional fans of electronic music. For two, the remixes hit the Billboard Club Play charts and there have been some awesome artists that have hit that chart but not hit Billboard's Hot 100. Even TiTO hasn't been a total loss since, as was said before, it still has her trademark songwriting and vocals, in addition to the remixes again gathering Club Play. (I still say they'd be crazy NOT to release "FYI" as a single!)

In comparison to other Asian artists, Hikki is more talented and has more varied talent than most of them. I like the idea of her being called a "musician" rather than an "entertainer" as most vocalists are. She has control of her career and IMHO is doing awesome music.

I'm also not necessarily a fan of all the negativity and slamming WG, BoA or anyone else in this thread. Each of these artists have their own fans, and all of us humans should respect each other, even if we don't always agree on everything.

OUR job as fans is to introduce her music to our friends, family and acquaintances and hopefully through word-of-mouth (as well as some decent promotion for "Dirty Desire") we can give Hikki a larger audience. I know my partner has gotten into Hikki more than she might have if I hadn't burned a CD-R of some of her best tracks and "accidentally" left it in her car.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 8:27
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Amaterasu wrote:
This interview may pre-date TITO's release.

November 20, 2009.

Also, JYP may not be flat-out stating that the Wonder Girls are better than Utada or Coco Lee, but the implications in his tone and word choice are the same; he's being pretentious. It's one thing to express satisfaction over his product's success, it's another thing to bring other artists into the mix and insinuate that they've "failed" at something. Although I don't know much about Coco Lee and her career here, I do know that Utada has come here of her own accord, stood on her own two feet, created her own ORIGINAL art and put it out to the public with the intent of sharing a piece of herself. Apparently, this is an act of "changing" her "color." Now let's see what the Wonder Girls did. They (being JYP, the Wonder Girls don't do anything except dance when he boots them up) released a translated version of a song that has already made it big in Korea, sold themselves right into the Jonas Brothers/Disney Mania group of tweens, and, big whoop, made it onto the Billboard charts at the 76 spot (Utada made it to number 69 on the 200 chart, what's the big deal?). Apparently this is "success" to rival Utada's "failure" at whatever it is "foreign" artists are supposed to be attempting to accomplish here. Aside from the inherent stupidity of a statement like that, how do you quantify that kind of success? Utada has stated repeatedly that she's not entirely sure she WANTS to make it big here, that her main goal in transitioning to an English-language audience is to challenge herself into growing and being more creative so that she isn't "stuck on her throne" in Japan. She wants to knock herself down a peg, be a bit humbled, and see what it's like to not have instant gold standard every time a single gets released with her name on it. Unlike the Wonder Girls, Utada is actually an artist unto herself that gets to make her own decisions about what direction she's going to take her work in without regard for an imperial force of order. The Wonder Girls, on the other hand, have JYP, and what does JYP want? To make money, to get the Wonder Girls splashed on every tabloid runaround he can manage and to sell as much of his product as he can before packing up and heading back to Korea where the group will probably die out anyway within the next decade, if not sooner. His aim is shallow materialism. If that works for him, good for him- but he doesn't have the standing to so much as compare what the Wonder Girls have "accomplished" to what Utada has "accomplished", because in terms of what's happened with both groups of people, their goals have been very different and thus the "success" they have reaped has been very different.

On another note, it isn't wise to tell an upset Hikki fan to "chill out." We're the reason she's so terrified to come back here, remember? ;D

Shuri/Eli
Posted on: 2009/11/23 10:44
  •  percypenn
      percypenn
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L tmp
the girl Ms. Park does not know what the f*ck she is talking about. clearly their group doesn't even amount to anything much less if even compared to hikaru.

they already talk like this although they have only ONE hit song(?) yet? who the f*ck do they think they are? this girl is very f*cking conceited to talk about hikaru like this. their lyrics dont even amount to anything and to think they claim that hikaru failed in the US?

this wonder girls is not going to last, i bet my b*lls on it. they will be just another entry into a long list of one-hit-wonders! their music is cheap, all-style-no-substance, manufactured, plastic and predictable, not to mention hillarious!

F*CK the wonder girls! send them to the core of the sun for all i care!

i love hikaru!
Posted on: 2009/11/23 11:14
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

percypenn wrote:
the girl Ms. Park does not know what the (censored) she is talking about. clearly their group doesn't even amount to anything much less if even compared to hikaru.

they already talk like this although they have only ONE hit song(?) yet? who the (censored) do they think they are? this girl is very (censored)ing conceited to talk about hikaru like this. their lyrics dont even amount to anything and to think they claim that hikaru failed in the US?

this wonder girls is not going to last, i bet my b*lls on it. they will be just another entry into a long list of one-hit-wonders! their music is cheap, all-style-no-substance, manufactured, plastic and predictable, not to mention hillarious!

(censored) the wonder girls! send them to the core of the sun for all i care!

i love hikaru!

FYI, JY Park is a guy. xD

As for your rather, er, colorful dissemination of the issue: I sympathize, but there's no need to blame the Wonder Girls for their idiotic manager. JYP is the one at fault here; his robot Wonder Girls don't have enough of a collective mind less the individual coherence to determine the value of their so-called success.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 13:48
  •  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
Quote:

percypenn wrote:
the girl Ms. Park does not know what the (censored) she is talking about. clearly their group doesn't even amount to anything much less if even compared to hikaru.

they already talk like this although they have only ONE hit song(?) yet? who the (censored) do they think they are? this girl is very (censored)ing conceited to talk about hikaru like this. their lyrics dont even amount to anything and to think they claim that hikaru failed in the US?

(censored) the wonder girls! send them to the core of the sun for all i care!

i love hikaru!

AMEN! AMEN!

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2009/11/23 14:21
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
Quote:
On another note, it isn't wise to tell an upset Hikki fan to "chill out." We're the reason she's so terrified to come back here, remember? ;D

OMG! Please put the gun down! I won't disagree again!

(Ke ke ke ke!)

As usual, a very well dictated post.

As a fan it is very easy to take on offense when our fave artist falls under fire. I must be the only 1 in 30 here, but I really don't see (or find) a tone between the lines.

Thanks for pointing out the date of the article.

At the very least, let's give him a bit of credit for not writing off TITO as a failure. For my part, I was going to write off TITO as a failure until this whole In the Flesh business. I think that Utada doesn't care much about her Stateside success but well - and the WG really do.

As a Hikki fan, I'm disappointed by the disparity between the music that is Utada Hikaru versus Utada. It must be personal preference, but since he touches on the subject, I'm pretty much inclined to agree.

Only Time Will Tell when it comes to success. If BoA was equally or more successful than the Wonder Girls, it would be no more than an accomplishment according to many of the posts here. After all, BoA has admitted being to being a manufactured star.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 15:26
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
These Girls are giving over a large proportion of their young lives on the wimps and promises of an? impresario? with a serious case of foot in mouth disease, are we seriously going to hold these Girls responsible for a joker with this sort of sausage machine mentality ??

?For the past few months, the quintet -- comprised of Sun, Yenny, Sohee, Mimi and Yubin -- has made a home of the top two floors of the building, which is split up into separate dormitories. Chosen through an audition process and placed in the JYP Academy two years ago, the girls have been honing their skills in singing, dancing and acting as well as mastering several languages in preparation of their as-yet-untitled English-language album -- a twelve track set with six of the songs being English versions of their Korean hits, and the rest original English material?.

They deserve a break or at least a fair chance to succeed..
Posted on: 2009/11/23 16:03
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Amaterasu wrote:
Quote:

If BoA was equally or more successful than the Wonder Girls, it would be no more than an accomplishment according to many of the posts here. After all, BoA has admitted being to being a manufactured star.

Except BoA doesn't stupidly trash-talk other artists, even through implication, to my knowledge. Even if JYP didn't intend to offend, it was an enormously idiotic thing to say. After all, no one was anything but congratulatory to the Wonder Girls when the original thread discussing their breakthrough was posted here- I personally had no interest in them, so I didn't contribute, but it wasn't like I actively disliked them then, nor do I now. However, JYP could have remained securely within the confines of self-appreciation: he didn't have to degrade the work other artists have put into their crossover attempts. A more appropriate route for him to have taken would have been acknowledgment for the Wonder Girls and everything they've done; instead he took most of the credit for his management skills and downplayed the efforts of other serious artists who are equally if not more successful. Again, while he wasn't extremely hostile about it and it's not something I'll be losing any sleep over, it was highly unnecessary and, I feel, a case of passive-aggressive behavior at its worse.

Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:
They deserve a break or at least a fair chance to succeed.

All the best to the Wonder Girls (even if they are essentially money-making musical vendor machines taking the form of living, breathing, singing human beings)! JYP and his inflated ego can take a hike, though. :]
Posted on: 2009/11/23 17:29
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234567>