Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Help Utada Get On The Ellen Degeneres Show!!!

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234567...9>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Help Utada Get On The Ellen Degeneres Show!!!
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

RoXas15 wrote:
...Well, I lied and said that I was 18
Hmmm....

Haha, I did the same. It's not like they'll ever contact you or anything. xD
I FINALLY GOT MINE SENT IN, after rewriting the entire thing.

Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
What does being gay friendly (and the Colors video) have to do with anything? Utada is EVERYBODY friendly, her music can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone, right?

For me, it's no small thing that Utada is LGBTQ-supportive. Why, you ask? Because that's one more, rather large voice out there aiding, directly or inadvertently, in the fight for equal representation and recognition of all forms of sexual orientation and love. As a bisexual person, it makes a big difference to me that the artists I support support me and my community; heck, I don't even like Lady GaGa, but I like that she likes gays. ;]

As for the "Colors" video, I do think that might be misconstrued as I believe the intertwined women have something to do with a type of performing arts, although I can see how one could infer differently with all of the rainbow streaks and whatnot. It's kind of like "You Make Me Want to Be a Man"- Utada may mean it one way, but when you hear the title you inevitably think of something else. And I'm sure Utada was not unaware of the alternate interpretation when she was writing it (she's no idiot), so there's probably a tongue-in-cheek meaning behind that particular titular option anyway.

And, of course, the fact that Ellen is gay means it does no harm to mention that Utada gives the gay shout-out in "On and On." That's already become my personal pride song, I can't wait for it to reach the wider LGBTQ community (I hope it does).
Posted on: 2010/1/23 23:13
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Quote:

Shurikid wrote: For me, it's no small thing that Utada is LGBTQ-supportive. Why, you ask? Because that's one more, rather large voice out there aiding, directly or inadvertently, in the fight for equal representation and recognition of all forms of sexual orientation and love. As a bisexual person, it makes a big difference to me that the artists I support support me and my community; heck, I don't even like Lady GaGa, but I like that she likes gays. ;]

As for the "Colors" video, I do think that might be misconstrued as I believe the intertwined women have something to do with a type of performing arts, although I can see how one could infer differently with all of the rainbow streaks and whatnot. It's kind of like "You Make Me Want to Be a Man"- Utada may mean it one way, but when you hear the title you inevitably think of something else. And I'm sure Utada was not unaware of the alternate interpretation when she was writing it (she's no idiot), so there's probably a tongue-in-cheek meaning behind that particular titular option anyway.

And, of course, the fact that Ellen is gay means it does no harm to mention that Utada gives the gay shout-out in "On and On." That's already become my personal pride song, I can't wait for it to reach the wider LGBTQ community (I hope it does).

I really couldn't agree more. I am already 18 but I am still having a lot of trouble dealing with and accepting the fact that I am gay. On the many days that I get depressed over myself, Utada's music always raises my spirits and makes me feel like a better person, and okay for who I am. Keep Tryin', COLORS, WINGS, Time Will Tell, and many other of her uplifting songs really make me feel better. Even some of her more dancy ones, especially On and On, lol.

I never thought of the COLORS video as gay, I always looked at it as an artistic thing....but that's just me, lol. As for YMMWTBAM, as you said, I am sure Hikki knew the title was a little misleading in some ways, but that's what I love about her, she doesn't play safe.

But anyway, I definitely like the fact that if I knew Hikki personally, she wouldn't have a problem with my orientation. Her music can be very inspiring for me, especially on my bad days when I just sulk all day wishing I was like everyone else....but anyway, I'm rambling here. It's actually kind of nice seeing that I'm not the only gay guy here, lol.

Also something to note, I love On and On as well, it makes me feel cool, lol.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 0:30
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
XD All the gays are uniting! I think it is worthwhile mentioning because in the case with a foreign act, you don't know what the thought of homosexuality is in other countries and it could make it awkward for Ellen if the person is a raging homophobe. BTW I totally don't act how I ended that form, I just did it for comedic effect. Not saying anything is wrong with our flamers though =P
Posted on: 2010/1/24 2:06
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
Hm, well I guess I understand where you're coming from.
Well, when I hear "gay friendly" I usually think of singers like Madonna, etc. where pretty much the whole fanbase is gay.
But I also think about the separation between a person's music and their private life, it's one of the reasons why I listen to John Mayer despite him being a huge jerk.
On and On mentions straight guys too :P
Posted on: 2010/1/24 7:45
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
Hm, well I guess I understand where you're coming from.
Well, when I hear "gay friendly" I usually think of singers like Madonna, etc. where pretty much the whole fanbase is gay.
But I also think about the separation between a person's music and their private life, it's one of the reasons why I listen to John Mayer despite him being a huge jerk.
On and On mentions straight guys too :P

I also see where you are coming from though. I am different, when I listen to ones music, I like to know what kind of person they are. For example, I do like a few songs from Green Day, but since the band members are such big A-Holes, I can't help but cringe when I listen, same with John Mayer. But were all different, it's more then fine to enjoy someones music despite their personality.
Posted on: 2010/1/24 11:02
  •  goku1337
      goku1337
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19 male NLR AR
Everyone please send letters
Posted on: 2010/1/24 14:04
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
Woah~ Me too loves Ellen. Will compose a letter later. :D I didn't really thought of this idea. Thanks to the one who suggested.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/1/26 8:41
  •  Camfans59
      Camfans59
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/female/NH
I submitted mine! I hope with all these suggestions about Utada, she'll have her on the show!
Posted on: 2010/1/26 19:48
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Yes, the scene in Colors is most probably not intended to symbolize anything related to gay but music always gives the liberty to viewers to interpret things in any way that they want to. As for me, I believe that she wouldn't consent to use that scene in the first place if she's a homophobe. The ball thing which she threw few days ago has certainly proved she's gay friendly. As someone who belongs to the LGBT community, I'm pretty glad about this.

And of course I will still write in to suggest Utada even if she did not write "LEGALIZE GAY MARRIAGE". I just thought that it's pretty cool that she's open about it and it's quite a +point since Ellen is gay. Sorry if you got the wrong idea.
Posted on: 2010/1/26 19:55
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
I hope she gets on
Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:19
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234567...9>