Utada Net.com Forum Index
   General Utada Discussion
  Help Utada Get On The Ellen Degeneres Show!!!

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456789>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Alilon
      Alilon
Re: Help Utada Get On The Ellen Degeneres Show!!!
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19/Female/California
Where do u send the letter I write to Ellen so I can request Utada? I have never written a letter to Ellen so I don't know where to send it to. =[ please someone help me.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:59
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Alilon wrote:
Where do u send the letter I write to Ellen so I can request Utada? I have never written a letter to Ellen so I don't know where to send it to. =[ please someone help me.

The link is on the front page. :]
http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=257
Just fill out all the information and click, "Send." Voila.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:06
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Awesome to see how many of us are sending in the apps! Hopefully there is a huge surge in Hikki apps and she gets on the show!
Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:07
  •  meekobiscuit
      meekobiscuit
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 35/M/L.A.
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
Quote:

RoXas15 wrote:
...Well, I lied and said that I was 18
Hmmm....

Haha, I did the same. It's not like they'll ever contact you or anything. xD
I FINALLY GOT MINE SENT IN, after rewriting the entire thing.

Quote:

TurtleFu wrote:
What does being gay friendly (and the Colors video) have to do with anything? Utada is EVERYBODY friendly, her music can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone, right?

For me, it's no small thing that Utada is LGBTQ-supportive. Why, you ask? Because that's one more, rather large voice out there aiding, directly or inadvertently, in the fight for equal representation and recognition of all forms of sexual orientation and love. As a bisexual person, it makes a big difference to me that the artists I support support me and my community; heck, I don't even like Lady GaGa, but I like that she likes gays. ;]

As for the "Colors" video, I do think that might be misconstrued as I believe the intertwined women have something to do with a type of performing arts, although I can see how one could infer differently with all of the rainbow streaks and whatnot. It's kind of like "You Make Me Want to Be a Man"- Utada may mean it one way, but when you hear the title you inevitably think of something else. And I'm sure Utada was not unaware of the alternate interpretation when she was writing it (she's no idiot), so there's probably a tongue-in-cheek meaning behind that particular titular option anyway.

And, of course, the fact that Ellen is gay means it does no harm to mention that Utada gives the gay shout-out in "On and On." That's already become my personal pride song, I can't wait for it to reach the wider LGBTQ community (I hope it does).

I need to settle this issue regarding the "Colors" video image of the interlocking women. The director for "Colors" (and I am not happy to say this) stole the idea from the "Androgyny" video by Garbage . Check out the 1:00 minute mark on the link below. In the Garbage video, you don't see 2 women, but you do see Shirley Manson on a turntable and, yes, she is changing colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGcXEEo1HAY

Artists always "borrow" ideas or imagery from other artists. It happens a lot. Madonna and Hamasaki Ayumi are the most guilty of this, but I really don't think Utada had any idea that the imagery used in her video is reminiscent of the Garbage video. I think it was probably the director's idea to consciously or subconsciously tweak the imagery from the Garbage video and Utada liked the idea.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:19
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

meekobiscuit wrote:

I need to settle this issue regarding the "Colors" video image of the interlocking women. The director for "Colors" (and I am not happy to say this) stole the idea from the "Androgyny" video by Garbage . Check out the 1:00 minute mark on the link below. In the Garbage video, you don't see 2 women, but you do see Shirley Manson on a turntable and, yes, she is changing colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGcXEEo1HAY

Artists always "borrow" ideas or imagery from other artists. It happens a lot. Madonna and Hamasaki Ayumi are the most guilty of this, but I really don't think Utada had any idea that the imagery used in her video is reminiscent of the Garbage video. I think it was probably the director's idea to consciously or subconsciously tweak the imagery from the Garbage video and Utada liked the idea.

Oh my gosh! Garbage is, like, one of my favorite bands, but I had never made that connection. I guess I can see the resemblance, but I've watched both videos a ton and I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. And I don't think you can really call it "stealing" without proof- if the director of the "Colors" video was inspired by that particular image (which is the ONLY thing that seems to have been lifted from that video), then that's a different matter. It's not stealing, really, in my opinion. That'd be like saying Stephenie Meyer consciously stole from the Sookie Stackhouse novels when writing "Twilight" because they happen to have very similar plots and themes to them.

Still, given what "Androgyny" is all about, that would only prove to support the idea that the "Colors" video is subtly referencing homosexuality, or at least a more free expression of sexuality/gender identity in general. :3
Posted on: 2010/1/29 1:28
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
Lol

you make me want to be a man is one of my favorites
Posted on: 2010/1/29 10:19
  •  TurtleFu
      TurtleFu
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
@meekobiscuit
Wait, you think the director "stole" that imagery just because of some subtle differences? What is there that is similar? A person sitting in a pose on a rotating platform? Please, not even Garbage is the first band to do that, that's existed since the stage has!
Besides, Colors video references contortionist, which Garbage's video obviously doesn't. Just because they are slightly similar doesn't mean its plagiarism.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 12:12
  •  merchantdog2
      merchantdog2
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L
Just sent Ellen a little note about Hikki.We will see what happens.Good Luck Utada!
Posted on: 2010/1/29 12:32
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
Well why don?t you stop writing silly letters to Ellen Degeneres Show, for what reason god only knows and start treating this subject seriously ?.

Kuma is gay ?he is a stuffed toy ?

My god do you Americans know anything about what is going on in this world other than jumping up and down catching baseballs or suckling up to Utada for supporting gay marriage ?.

It is little surprise that only 20% of Americans own passports, and far less know what is happening beyond the end of the nose on there face ?.

http://voicesofafrica.africanews.com/site/list_message/17881

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2009/12/01/9393.uganda-considers-death-sentence-for-gay-sex-in-bill-before-parliament

Now start lobbying ? I am assuming you know how ..

READ IT IS YOUR COUNTRY THE USA:
Within Uganda deeply-rooted homophobia, aided by a US-linked evangelical campaign alleging that gay men are trying to "recruit" schoolchildren, and that homosexuality is a habit that can be "cured", has ensured widespread public support for the bill.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 2:12
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Quote:

Pips_Paradise wrote:
Well why don?t you stop writing silly letters to Ellen Degeneres Show, for what reason god only knows and start treating this subject seriously ?.

Kuma is gay ?he is a stuffed toy ?

My god do you Americans know anything about what is going on in this world other than jumping up and down catching baseballs or suckling up to Utada for supporting gay marriage ?.

It is little surprise that only 20% of Americans own passports, and far less know what is happening beyond the end of the nose on there face ?.

http://voicesofafrica.africanews.com/site/list_message/17881

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2009/12/01/9393.uganda-considers-death-sentence-for-gay-sex-in-bill-before-parliament

Now start lobbying ? I am assuming you know how ..

READ IT IS YOUR COUNTRY THE USA:
Within Uganda deeply-rooted homophobia, aided by a US-linked evangelical campaign alleging that gay men are trying to "recruit" schoolchildren, and that homosexuality is a habit that can be "cured", has ensured widespread public support for the bill.

Ok, no offense, but what is your freaking problem? This is an Utada fan site, what do you expect us to talk about, unicorns and mushrooms? Yeah, it's terrible that there's such bad homophobia in other countries, but why are you so hot and bothered just because we were talking about how cool it is for Utada to be gay-friendly? I "deeply" apologize if were too enthusiastic for you.

And please don't label us as "americans" and talk down on us in such an insulting way. No offense, but it seems like a lot of British people do that, yet I don't talk down on British people like that, because I know that everyone is different and that there are many great Brits out there. Stop acting so high and mighty as if you know EVERYTHING about the world, and we know absolutely nothing.

Geez, this is a freaking fan site for a singer, I didn't know that we had to discuss all the world affairs in a thread where we are just trying to get a singer onto a TV show.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 4:06
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456789>