<1...910111213>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Re: Utada deserves more from the United States
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
"I think DD was released for that purpose, for the tour.. so the tour wouldn't seem completely random, in other words the tour was not really made to promote the single but only made to look like it was."

There's really no way in knowing this, but having Mike Rizzo make a mix of DD and include him in the tour makes me lean the other way. I don't think Utada is opposed to doing random tours and don't think Rizzo would be in the tour if it wasn't to promote DD, and she had a break at the end where she asked everyone to request DD on radio even though she doesn't listen to radio; her words paraphrased.

"after she got sick, I really think that utada was very insecure and unsure of what she wanted to do. I think that not only her but also IDJ thought that the prime time for her to promote the album, which was after its release had long passed. BUT before completely giving up on the album i think they wanted to have another round, to see if they could "revive" it, thus the tour."

Again this is coherent with the other facts, but I don't think the tour was "a litmus test." Did you go to any of them? For the venue it was amazing. They put a lot of effort in this tour, especially if it was just to see her American fanbase.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 14:51
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Thank you Alex for pointing that line out.

I pretty much agree with what's being said. I think the ball is almost entirely in IDJ's court, now. Utada has shown that she has a fan base, she's also got a successful DJ that's willing to back her. (Mike Rizzo is mad beast. If you haven't taken a look at what he's done up to this; I would politely, yet strongly suggest it.) There are people in NY that realized a long behind line was there for Utada. That had to get someone thinking. I can almost guarantee that someone would be willing to colloborate or remix. (Myself included)

They have a great hand showing...now all they need to do is play it.

Side note:
I also liked the Jay-z reference "I'm not a business man, I'm a BUSINESS, man". If you think about it...very few artists can make that claim. Utada...is one of them.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 14:53
  •  yoursonnetmylove
      yoursonnetmylove
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Boston, MA
Personally I think if she had switched the TiTo and Exodus' date releases, she would have a little more success. Exodus has a lot of dancey songs that are similar to today's popular dance songs like Devil Inside are too repetitive like today's US songs. TiTo matches more of the poppy and R&Bish songs that were popular during 2004.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 15:03
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
Quote:

yoursonnetmylove wrote:
Personally I think if she had switched the TiTo and Exodus' date releases, she would have a little more success. Exodus has a lot of dancey songs that are similar to today's popular dance songs like Devil Inside are too repetitive like today's US songs. TiTo matches more of the poppy and R&Bish songs that were popular during 2004.

lol that's so true

I wish just thinking about this a few days ago (not the switching dates, but how Exodus sounds similar to current mainstream music)
Posted on: 2010/2/18 18:50
  •  aquaticdragons
      aquaticdragons
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 20/F/Los Angeles
Quote:

Salomonis wrote:
"I think DD was released for that purpose, for the tour.. so the tour wouldn't seem completely random, in other words the tour was not really made to promote the single but only made to look like it was."

There's really no way in knowing this, but having Mike Rizzo make a mix of DD and include him in the tour makes me lean the other way. I don't think Utada is opposed to doing random tours and don't think Rizzo would be in the tour if it wasn't to promote DD, and she had a break at the end where she asked everyone to request DD on radio even though she doesn't listen to radio; her words paraphrased.

"after she got sick, I really think that utada was very insecure and unsure of what she wanted to do. I think that not only her but also IDJ thought that the prime time for her to promote the album, which was after its release had long passed. BUT before completely giving up on the album i think they wanted to have another round, to see if they could "revive" it, thus the tour."

Again this is coherent with the other facts, but I don't think the tour was "a litmus test." Did you go to any of them? For the venue it was amazing. They put a lot of effort in this tour, especially if it was just to see her American fanbase.

I completely understand what you're saying, but like i said it's only what i think and of course i don't know the actual reasons for doing the tour. (please note that i am very happy she did have one whatever the reason was)

These were only my assumptions, mainly because to me (and my sister also agrees with me)it didn't feel like the single was being promoted... the tour was or at least most of us assume that it was to promote the album and the especially DD single because of the tour name "In the Flesh" which comes from a line in DD. But how does it promote if the event itself was never promoted? I THINK (again only an assumption).. idj did that on purpose, to see if they can sell without promotion.

yes Mike was there, but at the show we went to (LA) he didn't play the remix in his set, and the single that came out was DD the remixes which includes mike's remix of DD. To me a tour for a remix single doesn't really make sense though which is why i don't follow the notion that tour was to promote DD even though the title comes from DD. Of course it was also to promote TITO, but again, no actual promotion was done and there wasn't even merchandise at the concerts... not even even her CD. Rather it was to see how much more can they "exploit" (idk what other word to use) the album, which is why i think it was more of testing the waters

I repeat only my assumptions

You're right the effort they put into the tour does make me think that it wasn't only for testing, but again the promotion issue is what makes me think that it was for testing which makes me really confused. Well i think there are probably a lot of us who are confused with their so called promotion with no promotion ...i hope that made sense...

Did anyone else felt that way? that the tour wasn't really promoting anything since it wasn't really promoted...?
Posted on: 2010/2/18 19:28
  •  gantzman246
      gantzman246
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

yoursonnetmylove wrote:

I don't think so. Exodus was well ahead of its time while TITO is very current and relevant today. Exodus could have been a hit album if it was promoted.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 19:59
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
I was upset there was no merchandise. That does give credence to your theory. I mean wouldn't they at least have a DD Rizzo single for sale? and or TITO? Then again she said she wanted an intimate feel and maybe merchandise in her mind takes away from that. GREAT! Now I'm confused lol
Posted on: 2010/2/18 20:22
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:
I don't think so. Exodus was well ahead of its time while TITO is very current and relevant today. Exodus could have been a hit album if it was promoted.

i think TiTO would go with any time within the last decade, but exodus is very current with today's style of music. I think she should have made another exodus style album.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:54
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
This is SLIGHTLY off-topic, but I didn't think it would be worth it to create a whole new thread so I'm asking on here:

I just noticed that, with the exception of Ultra Blue, all of Hikki's Japanese songs are $1.29 each, while all of her English songs are only 99 cents. And this is on iTunes US, which is why it surprises me. Any idea why this is?

I thought at first it might be a Japanese thing, but all of BoA's, Ayumi Hamasaki's, and Namie Amuro's songs are just 99 cents.
Posted on: 2010/2/19 20:51
  •  hikaruomega
      hikaruomega
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
Quote:

gantzman246 wrote:

i think TiTO would go with any time within the last decade, but exodus is very current with today's style of music. I think she should have made another exodus style album.

wait do u mean that TiTO would be good for the 00's or the 90's (im confused)
Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:49
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...910111213>