Poster Thread
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
Re: Utada deserves more from the United States
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Quote:

buzzyrecky wrote:
People are against her music just because she's Japanese so it's hard to share...

I don't think being Japanese really has to do anything... being Japanese is fine. A lot of people dig that.

I think its more of that people aren't really open to new & various things. They stick to whats popular and pretty much what sounds the same. Well, thats their loss... more Hikki for meee & the rest of us fans

Sukiyaki is a rather old song. People back then knew what music was.
Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:15
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:
Quote:

buzzyrecky wrote:
People are against her music just because she's Japanese so it's hard to share...

I don't think being Japanese really has to do anything... being Japanese is fine. A lot of people dig that.

I think its more of that people aren't really open to new & various things. They stick to whats popular and pretty much what sounds the same. Well, thats their loss... more Hikki for meee & the rest of us fans

lol that's what I meant, I'm just not good with explanations
Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:18
  •  hikaruomega
      hikaruomega
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
^ i have to agree... music now kinda sounds like a modern 80s style

kinda repetitive nowadays
Posted on: 2010/2/16 23:24
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:

I agree 100%. Although personally I do think that being Japanese has a little to do with it....many people I have mentioned Utada to got turned off the moment I mention either her name, or the fact that she is Japanese. I once had my Aunt listen to "This One" trying to get her interested, and she responds with, "That's pretty good, it doesn't sound like her usual anime stuff."

I cringed when I heard that, because that is the idea that people over here have about Asian singers. Is that all they do is anime themes and bubbly pop music. If these people knew how varied Hikaru's music is....how amazing and different each of her songs is, they would take that back and at least respect her as an artist.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 0:39
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
yeah true-true that people aren't open for for other various genres of music and really hikaruomega... music now a days are like a modern 80s style....

maybe your not open for other various genres of music...
Posted on: 2010/2/17 0:40
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Yeah, exactly. For me, I am always open to any kind of music, no matter who, where, what it is. I really got into the Beatles, David Bowie, Billy Idol, Alanis Morrisette, and a lot others just from suggestions from family, friend, etc.

Sadly a lot of people are closed up and just like to listen to just what they are familiar with. Yet they try to get you into their music. Again, my Aunt. She will make me listen to her stuff and go off and on about it, yet when I bring up my own music, she just kind of dismisses it. :/ But that;s people I guess....
Posted on: 2010/2/17 0:49
  •  Hikkis1in1million
      Hikkis1in1million
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 13/F/UK
I Have To Agree With JudgeJamster. Maybe It's Because She's Japanese. And Maybe Because Of Her Lack Of Success With "Exodus". Maybe People Are THINKING "Come Back To Me" is Gonna Be Like "Easy Breezy"(I Love Easy Breezy But People Hate It Cause It's Cheezy - I Love Cheeze lol)

The Flavor of life, The Flavor of life ~
Posted on: 2010/2/17 2:11
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
I think Hikki can't be real popular here because she actual cares about music....and the messages she relies through it.Intelligence isn't too mainstream :/.And her being Japanese is what seals the deal.We are so xenophobic when it comes to music.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 4:31
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
LoBFCanti, you just said what I wanted to said. Yes, it's because she cares about music. Don't wanna sound naff but I can just feel so much intelligence oozing from her music? (lol) It's very true that Tito has many great tracks which are better than the usual pop, rnb or hip hop stuff that they play on radio like Gaga, Rihanna, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, etc. Not like I have something against them but it's really annoying how the dj-s keep playing their stuff incessantly. I'm like, c'mon, play something new and nice. I'm not much of a radio person because I don't really listen to pop except for Utada but ever since I've gotten into her music, I've been listening to the radio whenever I'm in the car (in hope that the dj-s will play her music). In my country, only a few stations play her music, not on a frequent basis but RARELY. Once in a blue moon. Played Come Back to Me for a few months then FYI for a few months. It's like her music doesn't exist. It's infuriating! Perhaps Utada needs dumb down her lyrics and tunes so that people will feel like "oh, I can relate to this, this is familiar"! And yes, people can be so xenophobic sometimes. Just because they've been playing or listening to the usual western music, they refuse to try western music made by a fine Japanese lady.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 7:12
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
hmm you know after reading all this.. I just thought how amazing we all are.. how we have a keen ear to appreciate true music. its pretty cool lol
Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:42
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...45678910...13>