a_kikoo
Re: Utada deserves more from the United States
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Quote:

JudgeJamster wrote:
Quote:

a_kikoo wrote:

I don't think being Japanese really has to do anything... being Japanese is fine. A lot of people dig that.

I think its more of that people aren't really open to new & various things. They stick to whats popular and pretty much what sounds the same. Well, thats their loss... more Hikki for meee & the rest of us fans

Sukiyaki is a rather old song. People back then knew what music was.

I agree 100%. Although personally I do think that being Japanese has a little to do with it....many people I have mentioned Utada to got turned off the moment I mention either her name, or the fact that she is Japanese. I once had my Aunt listen to "This One" trying to get her interested, and she responds with, "That's pretty good, it doesn't sound like her usual anime stuff."

I cringed when I heard that, because that is the idea that people over here have about Asian singers. Is that all they do is anime themes and bubbly pop music. If these people knew how varied Hikaru's music is....how amazing and different each of her songs is, they would take that back and at least respect her as an artist.

But see, Hikki's different. She was born in New York, she's bilingual & multicultured. Then again, I guess some people still judge from the outside.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:49
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I'm sorry, but after electing someone with the name Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States, you can't use the "she's too different" excuse.

It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that America can only concentrate on so many celebrities at one time. Think about it: how many people BECAME famous in 2009? Lady Gaga, Ke$ha... I can't even think of any others. Americans (speaking as one) are very stubborn about paying attention to new people, that's why so many women have to resort to overt sexuality just to get noticed around here. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's true.

And for what it's worth, TITO isn't nearly as mainstream as you think it is - half of those songs could not do well on American radio.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:51
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Quote:

Alex0821 wrote:
I'm sorry, but after electing someone with the name Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States, you can't use the "she's too different" excuse.

It has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that America can only concentrate on so many celebrities at one time. Think about it: how many people BECAME famous in 2009? Lady Gaga, Ke$ha... I can't even think of any others. Americans (speaking as one) are very stubborn about paying attention to new people, that's why so many women have to resort to overt sexuality just to get noticed around here. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's true.

And for what it's worth, TITO isn't nearly as mainstream as you think it is - half of those songs could not do well on American radio.

I meant different from other Japanese artists.

I don't know if presidency has anything to do with this.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 8:56
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
^^ What I was saying is that his election proves that Americans are willing to try something different from what they're used to, whether it's electing an African American or listening to a Japanese singer; we're not THAT xenophobic. I wasn't trying to imply that Barack Obama has anything to do with the music industry XD

Also, I wasn't responding to you, a_kikoo, I was responding to everyone who was saying Americans simply WON'T listen to Asian singers.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 9:04
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
Quote:

ramenbox wrote:
LoBFCanti, you just said what I wanted to said. Yes, it's because she cares about music. Don't wanna sound naff but I can just feel so much intelligence oozing from her music? (lol) It's very true that Tito has many great tracks which are better than the usual pop, rnb or hip hop stuff that they play on radio like Gaga, Rihanna, Kelly Clarkson, Leona Lewis, etc. Not like I have something against them but it's really annoying how the dj-s keep playing their stuff incessantly. I'm like, c'mon, play something new and nice. I'm not much of a radio person because I don't really listen to pop except for Utada but ever since I've gotten into her music, I've been listening to the radio whenever I'm in the car (in hope that the dj-s will play her music). In my country, only a few stations play her music, not on a frequent basis but RARELY. Once in a blue moon. Played Come Back to Me for a few months then FYI for a few months. It's like her music doesn't exist. It's infuriating! Perhaps Utada needs dumb down her lyrics and tunes so that people will feel like "oh, I can relate to this, this is familiar"! And yes, people can be so xenophobic sometimes. Just because they've been playing or listening to the usual western music, they refuse to try western music made by a fine Japanese lady.

I really think she did a good job fitting in with our music in her English albums, but maybe that's just me...

They are 'dumbed down' already.... But I love them a lot anyways

Maybe if she did some of her best Japanese songs ( Like First love, sakura drops, colors, etc) in English then she could gain more popularity (and all of us would have this as a bonus
Posted on: 2010/2/17 9:17
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
I agree that it's because she is different from other music, but at the same time I still think being Asian puts her at a disadvantage. As I said before, all the people I've mentioned her lost all interest once they found out she was Japanese, or even if I mentioned her name. I do tell them that she was born here and such, but they just don't listen.

That's how it works with me at least. :/ I hate to say it, but I'd say at least the majority of people are like this. If more people were like us...more open to different things, then there is a chance Utada would be more well known here.

Also though, not all of Hikki's fans are good. I see many fans of Utada that either 1: only listen to Asian music and refuse to acknowledge that the West has any good music, or 2: they act like Hikki is the only good artist out there. So there are Utada fans that have their faults too, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that so many here in the U.S. are close minded.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 10:12
  •  zunecrazy
      zunecrazy
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 20/ Male / Miami FL
As fans we can only do so much. The Utada fanbase here in the states is quite big and extremely dedicated. We spread the word to friends, talk about her. Play her English titles to ease in the people who don't know: not everyone is going to catch on to Japanese, Spanish took a LONG time to catch on here even with the large Hispanic community.

I don't listen to the radio, I have a Zune. BUT I still keep the request line on my speed dial so that I can call in and request her music both here in Miami and in Boston. It sounds crazy but who cares? They're alway going to play Lady GaGa 10 times a day, why not 1 Utada?

Even doing all we've done as fans is still half the job, because it is indeed a job of sorts. We need to write and pester and inundate her label with letters, emails, phone calls asking for more tour dates, merchandise and exposure. We need them to understand how much we like Utada and how talented she really is. In the end, her label controls everything and they're the root to her (expanded) success and exposure.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 10:48
  •  AnimeLunatic01
      AnimeLunatic01
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L Male
I personally believe that it's best she doesnt do well in America why? That's cause she sees America as a get away from fame in a way. I remember reading a blog post a long time ago saying that she liked going back to America to relax and not be famous.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 11:05
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
I think there are 2 reasons why Utada will never make it in America no matter how great her music is:

1.Japanese people in America make up such a small segment of the population that she doesn't garner enough support from them to propel her into the mainstream like a other minority groups(blacks and latinos)

2. Top 10 POP Radio Stations are rigged ( CBTM was # 1 on many smaller stations around the US but didn't even get a spin from the Big 10) The Top 10 Pop radio station in my city flat out told me that they would not play Come Back To Me no matter how many people or how many times I requested it and he gave me no explanation why.
Can anybody explain this to me?

When I was younger when you requested a song on the radio the DJ would play it especially if many people were requesting the same song. Now i think the record label has to pay a bunch of money to these stations to play an artists music and since Utada is an unknown and doesn't have blonde hair,blue eyes or is from American idol or the Disney channel the record label will not risk losing money in investing in a "foreign" artist who keeps her clothes on.

Utada eluded to this when she spoke In Hawaii back last year. I think you can find the interview on Youtube or on Da Bomb's ( Honolulu radio station) website.

These Big 10 pop radio stations pretty much dictate what is a hit and who becomes popular in the US nowadays.

Do a google or wiki search on PAYOLA.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 11:16
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
I think there are 2 reasons why Utada will never make it in America no matter how great her music is:

1.Japanese people in America make up such a small segment of the population that she doesn't garner enough support from them to propel her into the mainstream like a other minority groups(blacks and latinos)

I think that your first reason is completely irrelevant. You do not have to be Japanese to support Utada. She has a sufficient, diverse American fan base that can help her gain popularity.

But I completely agree with what Ultra_Red said about radio stationss. This is the main reason I rarely listen to the radio. Big radio stations are only willing to play the Top 20 or new songs by hit artists. I turn on the radio and its the same few songs that they have always been spinning for the past 3 weeks.

And I don't think that the fact that Utada lacks "blonde hair,blue eyes or is from American idol or the Disney channel" is the reason why she isn't gaining popularity. I think its because the U.S. has NEVER (to my knowledge at least) had an Asian singing star. I think this is the reason that most potential listeners blow her off. That and the fact that there is a stereotype that Asians can't sing.

Utada just needs to keep promoting and growing her fan base if she wants to make it big in the U.S. Becoming the first major Asian singer in the United States is a challenge.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 13:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...567891011...13>