hikaruomega
Re: Utada deserves more from the United States
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
Quote:

quincye93 wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
I think there are 2 reasons why Utada will never make it in America no matter how great her music is:

1.Japanese people in America make up such a small segment of the population that she doesn't garner enough support from them to propel her into the mainstream like a other minority groups(blacks and latinos)

I think that your first reason is completely irrelevant. You do not have to be Japanese to support Utada. She has a sufficient, diverse American fan base that can help her gain popularity.

But I completely agree with what Ultra_Red said about radio stationss. This is the main reason I rarely listen to the radio. Big radio stations are only willing to play the Top 20 or new songs by hit artists. I turn on the radio and its the same few songs that they have always been spinning for the past 3 weeks. They are never willing to take a chance on someone who is unknown, no matter how much potential they may have.

And I don't think that the fact that Utada lacks "blonde hair,blue eyes or is from American idol or the Disney channel" is the reason why she isn't gaining popularity. I think its because the U.S. has NEVER (to my knowledge at least) had an Asian singing star. I think this is the reason that most potential listeners blow her off. That and the fact that there is a stereotype that Asians can't sing.

Utada just needs to keep promoting and growing her fan base if she wants to make it big in the U.S. Becoming the first major Asian singer in the United States is a challenge.

Are you sure she's the first asian singer?

Try Kyu Sakamoto's Sukiyaki

that became no 1...
Posted on: 2010/2/17 14:23
  •  quincye93
      quincye93
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 23/M/USA
Quote:

hikaruomega wrote:
Quote:

quincye93 wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
I think there are 2 reasons why Utada will never make it in America no matter how great her music is:

1.Japanese people in America make up such a small segment of the population that she doesn't garner enough support from them to propel her into the mainstream like a other minority groups(blacks and latinos)

I think that your first reason is completely irrelevant. You do not have to be Japanese to support Utada. She has a sufficient, diverse American fan base that can help her gain popularity.

But I completely agree with what Ultra_Red said about radio stationss. This is the main reason I rarely listen to the radio. Big radio stations are only willing to play the Top 20 or new songs by hit artists. I turn on the radio and its the same few songs that they have always been spinning for the past 3 weeks. They are never willing to take a chance on someone who is unknown, no matter how much potential they may have.

And I don't think that the fact that Utada lacks "blonde hair,blue eyes or is from American idol or the Disney channel" is the reason why she isn't gaining popularity. I think its because the U.S. has NEVER (to my knowledge at least) had an Asian singing star. I think this is the reason that most potential listeners blow her off. That and the fact that there is a stereotype that Asians can't sing.

Utada just needs to keep promoting and growing her fan base if she wants to make it big in the U.S. Becoming the first major Asian singer in the United States is a challenge.

Are you sure she's the first asian singer?

Try Kyu Sakamoto's Sukiyaki

that became no 1...

I'd never heard of him, but still that was 50 years ago and he is not our generation.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:39
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 Male VA
Here's my two cents.. lol :)

Radio doesn't exist to shed light on new artists. Stations may say they do, or they're "the first with new music" and such but truly, radio exists to sell commercials. They choose music they know everyone wants to listen to, to attract a large audience to hear their commercials. Bigger audience = more companies want to advertise / station gets to charge more money for airtime.

I think that record labels become discouraged from investing money in artists who don't immediately blow up to the top of the charts. Beyonce, GaGa, Britney, Madonna, etc, they all are extremely smart business people and very creative, but there are also scores of other artists just as brilliant who will never make it to the top of any charts, simply because their initial singles don't blow up and they lose backing from their labels. I guess what I'm trying to say is we should keep spreading the music as far as we can and showing support to IDJ. :))))))) Obviously our efforts are paying off so far. n_n
Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:40
  •  hikaruomega
      hikaruomega
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 21/M/Still Here
Quote:

gorejuice wrote:
Here's my two cents.. lol :)

Radio doesn't exist to shed light on new artists. Stations may say they do, or they're "the first with new music" and such but truly, radio exists to sell commercials. They choose music they know everyone wants to listen to, to attract a large audience to hear their commercials. Bigger audience = more companies want to advertise / station gets to charge more money for airtime.

I think that record labels become discouraged from investing money in artists who don't immediately blow up to the top of the charts. Beyonce, GaGa, Britney, Madonna, etc, they all are extremely smart business people and very creative, but there are also scores of other artists just as brilliant who will never make it to the top of any charts, simply because their initial singles don't blow up and they lose backing from their labels. I guess what I'm trying to say is we should keep spreading the music as far as we can and showing support to IDJ. :))))))) Obviously our efforts are paying off so far. n_n

aww... how disturbingly true...
Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:54
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 Male VA
Quote:

hikaruomega wrote:
Quote:

gorejuice wrote:

aww... how disturbingly true...

Don't be disturbed and don't be discouraged. I think this is a reason for us to be ENcouraged, we can really take charge and make her a star here! :D
Posted on: 2010/2/17 16:00
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
I agree with gorejuice. Radio isn't like it use to be, but I am very encouraged that all the concerts sold out. This means larger concert venues will be more willing to hire her. Considering how little TITO has been promoted(at least where I am), I think America has been "ok." Just "ok", obviously it could be better. I think she would need to do something like Bonnaroo (be a dream if she came here) and then have a TV host promote her. Since Conan is off the air Maybe an endorsement from Jimmy Fallon(He promoted Neon Indian for about 5 minutes of his monologue time !!??).

I apologize if the points make cause tangents. I was relating how a Major distributer in the South can't get a cd of her after 8 months. RIDICULOUS!!! Utada deserves more from the U.S.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 17:48
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Yeah, I know how the some of the lyrics from Tito has already been dumb-ed down compared to her previous works which is why I'm still very very curious why she's not getting enough attention from the mainstream audience? Okay fine, if they do not want to play songs like FYI, I understand. It has this eastern touch to it so why can't they play other songs that will be great for the mainstream audience? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Apple & Cinnamon has the potential. It's very rnb. As for Ultra_Red saying that the dj refused to play Come Back to Me even though many people requested it, that's just ludicrous. I'm very appalled. Oh wait, something just crossed my mind, perhaps Utada isn't (censored)y enough?
Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:17
  •  buzzyrecky
      buzzyrecky
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 16/Male/Hawaii
.... Lol at that

she doesn't have to be... Look at Taylor Swift
Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:37
  •  yodilit
      yodilit
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 21/M/Canada
Quote:

gorejuice wrote:

It's important to note that Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Britney and Madonna, all started somewhere. Beyonce's career started in 1990, it took years before Destiny's Child broke out. Years and years of hard work and promotion. Lady Gaga started her career in 2005 and has pretty much worked solidly since then performing in small clubs and bars to get to where she is. Madonna did the same thing in the early 80s. Britney was actually quite lucky out of them, with her career not really starting until 1997 with her breakout in 1998. While she was very lucky to have a great lead single, she did have to work very hard throughout 1999 and 2000 to maintain her status.
The point being these artists have worked extremely hard to cement their status in the music industry and keep their names out there.

Utada hasn't really had to do that. In Japan she was an instant success and has yet to make that kind of dent in the American music industry.
In the US, the industry thrives on availability and convenience. This means the music must be catchy and accessible and the artist must commit to promoting non-stop in as many different channels as possible. This means TV Appearances, performances, and touring.
When I say touring, I mean small venues to start; Bars and clubs, and being an opening act. Opening for someone is a great way to gain exposure and expand your audience.
It's great that Utada just toured but at this point, it wasn't really promotion. Chances are most people in attendance had her CDs.

As much as I love Utada (and I really do, I travelled over 2,000 miles to see her in NYC), she doesn't really deserve more from the US. She hasn't earned it here. Yes her music is great. But in the Pop Music Industry, there's a lot more involved in becoming a star.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:40
  •  yodilit
      yodilit
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 21/M/Canada
Sorry! double posted.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...678910111213>