<1...78910111213>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: Utada deserves more from the United States
UtadaNet Regular
A/S/L 19 Male VA
Quote:

yodilit wrote:
Yes her music is great. But in the Pop Music Industry, there's a lot more involved in becoming a star.

You've also got a good point :) I didn't really look at it that way. I mean, sure, we all know Utada hasn't had as much promotion from her label as her talents merit but yeah, you're right, too.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:56
  •  yodilit
      yodilit
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 21/M/Canada
The problem doesn't really lie with the label though. It's easy to blame them but ultimately the decision is up to the artist and management to promote.
The label doesn't usually PAY for an artists promotion. The label will front the money and the artist pays it back with royalty deductions.
It's in IDJs best interests to promote but the decision is ultimately up to utada and her management to promote.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 20:04
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Look at these facts:

CBTM: Top 100 on iTunes pop songs chart, #5 on Billboard club play chart, #53 on Mediabase, played on Z100 (the biggest radio station in America), iTunes free video of the week

TITO: #2 on iTunes pop albums chart, #18 on iTunes overall albums chart, #69 on Billboard, #6 on Heatseekers chart

Dirty Desire: #16 on Billboard club play chart and (probably) still climbing

Tour: sold out save for one or two venues, possible DVD in the works

If you didn't know how famous she was in Japan, you would look at that and say "wow, that person is pretty big." Sure those numbers could all be higher, but come on, I think we're all being a little idealistic. Obviously she's not as famous here as she is in Japan, but she has definitely had success here!
Posted on: 2010/2/17 21:31
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
lol looking at those numbers makes it seem as if she has had pretty big success here
Do you know how many albums tito has sold so far as of now?
Posted on: 2010/2/17 21:39
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
lol looking at those numbers makes it seem as if she has had pretty big success here

I've been looking everywhere for that info but I simply can't find it... the best I can do is May 2009 right after it was released physically; it had sold about 16,500 copies (300,000 internationally), pretty lame compared with Exodus' 55,000. It's weird because she released it digitally almost a month before the physical album came out, so I don't know if both of those sales went into that number...

But BoA's english album only sold about 11,000 copies in that same time period.

Here are some albums that had similar first-week sales:
Vanessa Carlton, "Heroes and Thieves"
Sara Bareilles, "Little Voice"
Katharine McPhee, "Unbroken"
Brooke White, "High Hopes and Heartbreak"

So I'd put Utada on the D-List, maybe even the C-List XD
Posted on: 2010/2/17 22:22
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
Quote:

Alex0821 wrote:
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:

I've been looking everywhere for that info but I simply can't find it... the best I can do is May 2009 right after it was released physically; it had sold about 16,500 copies (300,000 internationally), pretty lame compared with Exodus' 55,000. It's weird because she released it digitally almost a month before the physical album came out, so I don't know if both of those sales went into that number...

But BoA's english album only sold about 11,000 copies in that same time period.

Here are some albums that had similar first-week sales:
Vanessa Carlton, "Heroes and Thieves"
Sara Bareilles, "Little Voice"
Katharine McPhee, "Unbroken"
Brooke White, "High Hopes and Heartbreak"

So I'd put Utada on the D-List, maybe even the C-List XD

lol umm 16500...yeah that isnt so great but didnt exodus only sell what 10,000 in its first week so, maybe tito has sold around 55000 as well or maybe more but i knew BoA's sales wouldnt be so great as the album CDs were barely stocked in stores, and i didnt really like her english album
Posted on: 2010/2/17 23:22
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
Dude...finding an Utada CD was hard as freak. Especially when they shafted you on the "pre-order" thing. Exodus was the same way.

BoA's CD was harder to find, actually, >_<

The marketing sucked majorly for the CD's -_-
Posted on: 2010/2/17 23:24
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
Quote:

LL_Rain wrote:
Dude...finding an Utada CD was hard as freak. Especially when they shafted you on the "pre-order" thing. Exodus was the same way.

Yeah..i agree lol i guess the marketing sucked for both
but at borders where i live they were playing this is the one and had it in their featured CDs area lol but then again thats just about the only place where i saw, TiTo, the other time was at Barnes and Nobles...But BoAs album wasnt even in stock in almost every store i checked, and i had to order it from this music store
Posted on: 2010/2/17 23:28
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
Quote:

LL_Rain wrote:

I actually bought 2 copies from Best Buy and they were readily available. I was so excited to buy her CD from a store and that I didn't have to buy it online. It's such a different feeling! I've never seen TITO at Borders but I did see it as the featured CDs at Fry's, an electronics chain store that's slightly smaller than Best Buy.

btw, my mom ball room dances and she told me they played CBTM. I guess they play it so much that she even sings it. And of course, I do put the CD in her car. lolol
Posted on: 2010/2/17 23:44
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
I agree with yodilt. Utada has some amazing potential, but she really needs to hustle. I think perhaps her almost overnight success in Japan and her continued super stardom there may work as a disadvantage to her. She doesn't know how to go out and promote albums like crazy. She was in school for most of her early career, so the label did it all. Things are different in America, she needs to really get out there and hustle. Of course, that is nothing without backing from fans and from the label.

It often feels like Utada herself is rather unsure of how much success she wants in America. She just doesn't seem to have that insatiable hunger and drive compared to someone like Lady Gaga.

By the way, I'm totally not bashing Utada. I love her music and everything, I'm just trying to be as honest as I can.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 0:58
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1...78910111213>