Edit : Okay i change the thread title
Posted on: 2010/3/2 19:38
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Re: This guy ruin Utada
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
how do we tell utada about this
the guy basically just rapped over her song and released it as a single of his own.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 20:16
  •  Betan7
      Betan7
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 19/M/CA
. . .omg who is this rapper?? and i'm not trying to be racist, but this white dude.. who is he?? and yea, why is Utada Hikaru's song Passion, remixed like that and placed in the background?? Are music industries really not creative any more with making music and now trying to make music through others songs???

really? like i understand when artists do covers, and nothing wrong with that, but to take a whole song and place it in through rap is like.. wtf?

like i've heard Right Round, Sugar, and Live your life have parts of other songs in it, and made it themselves but still..! something like what this london guy did was not cool >:(
Posted on: 2010/3/2 20:31
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
not giving credit to HIKKI is just disrespectful

this rapper is signed to Island Records since 2009
http://outakers.com/2010/02/devlin-signs-to-island-records/

i wish hikki would make a song with JAY-Z..
something like Empire State of Mind
Posted on: 2010/3/2 20:57
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
You guys, chill. He's just sampling her song. Considering the fact that they're signed to the same record label, someone at IDJ probably suggested it (and most likely the sample is from "Sanctuary" since that's the one IDJ actually has rights to). As long as all of the royalties have been paid to the right people, there's nothing illegal about it and he hasn't stolen anything.

Most artists don't actively identify the music they sample, but rest assured, if it was used legally Hikki will be credited somewhere in the album liner notes for that song.

So relax~.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 21:27
  •  meekobiscuit
      meekobiscuit
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 35/M/L.A.
Well, this could be good, I guess. IF this song is a hit, that would mean more exposure for Utada. I don't mind how the song turned out because I don't think it's bad. However, I really don't have a lot of respect for people who can't create their own music.

Take for instance, Jason Derulo's "Whatcha Say". He sampled an Imogen Heap song called, "Hide & Seek". I am sure that because Derulo's song is such a big hit, it opened up a whole new demographic for Imogen Heap that she never would have reached, had he not sampled her work.

I have a feeling Utada knows about this, especially if it's true that he has signed on to Island Def Jam UK.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 21:29
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Shurikid wrote:
You guys, chill. He's just sampling her song. Considering the fact that they're signed to the same record label, someone at IDJ probably suggested it (and most likely the sample is from "Sanctuary" since that's the one IDJ actually has rights to). As long as all of the royalties have been paid to the right people, there's nothing illegal about it and he hasn't stolen anything.

Most artists don't actively identify the music they sample, but rest assured, if it was used legally Hikki will be credited somewhere in the album liner notes for that song.

So relax~.

I was gonna say that before even listening.Sampling is perfectly legal.I actually think he sampled something else there.Community Outcast 009 sounds like it was sampled from a chrono cross song,The Dream that time dreams.Jump to 2 mins into the song.That part is what seems to be sampled.

and completely unrelated,Forest of Illusion is my favorite song off that entire OST.Mitsuda still owes us a rearrangement album.I wonder if he ever delivered.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 21:39
  •  kjazz
      kjazz
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
THe reason why I don't like rap is they need to beg borrow and steal from the musicians. Otherwise they would be nothing but mere poets cause it's the music that makes it right.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 22:10
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

kjazz wrote:
THe reason why I don't like rap is they need to beg borrow and steal from the musicians. Otherwise they would be nothing but mere poets cause it's the music that makes it right.

Um, this is an extremely ignorant statement.

To start, most rappers do create their own beats and hooks; musically speaking, rap is intended be produced via a minimalist format. There's nothing wrong with poets, either.

Second, sampling is a good thing all around. It's not stealing. If anything, it helps to promote an artist and they actually get paid to have their music broadcast to a wider audience. Not only that, but it's a tremendous gesture of honor and recognition.

Third, this is one song, from one rapper. What about Hikki? She samples all the time. The entire background melody to FYI is nothing more than Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" played practically in its entirety. Is she a thief that has to resort to begging borrowing and stealing because she wanted to use a cool instrumental to accompany that track? Uh, no.

So before you go bashing rappers, do some research into what you're actually talking about. Rap is just as legitimate a form of expression as any other musical format- and with a much more interesting historical context, to boot.
Posted on: 2010/3/2 22:25
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
As much as I dislike music like this, I guess it's okay for him to do it considering they're both from IDJ. I mean, c'mon, we don't really know what happens behind the scenes. Maybe Hikki did give consent or something. Who knows right? Let's not jump to conclusions. Or perhaps in his album booklet, he gives credit to Hikki? I'm just hoping, lol. If the song becomes famous, I'd hate to see how people ignore the original composer of the song but that's quite of unlikely since he's an indie artist? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sampling is really fine because like what Shurikid said, Utada samples stuff A LOT. Okay maybe not that much but she does sample stuff often. And anyways, why is it that people these days like to sing about New York (Empire State of Mind) and there's this one, London? Just wondering.

Back to the main point, yes, IMHO the rapper kind of destroyed the essence of Sanctuary/Passion but it's not like it's gonna affect a lot of things. If we don't like it or perhaps DETEST what he's doing, let's just close the song or video and play Utada's Sanctuary or Passion instead.
Posted on: 2010/3/3 5:57
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
1234...6>