This Guy Sampling Utada's "Passion"

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
Re: This Guy ruin Utada
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
I find it ridiculously ironic that people are complaining about this.

Utada sampled Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. Is there something wrong with that as well? People sample all the time. A lot of times we don't realize it until someone else points it out to us. Blaming it on rap is ignorant beyond all compare.

Rock artists sample, pop artists sample, I think pretty much at this point...there's a sample or influence of something in MOST if not ALL music. You think that Japanese artists don't sample? Think again. I know for a fact Korean artists, do.

Also...whether you want to believe it or not..it's truth. Rap, Rock, RnB, pop, country? It's the same music in a different package. Get over it. There's a lot of stuff that goes on in ALL genres.

Sorry to be blunt, it's just...I get frustrated when people try to lay the blame on one particular genre of music.

Much love to all.
Posted on: 2010/3/3 22:16
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 00/F/CityofWonder
haha! XD ang kulet!

yes, Utada samples songs but she gives them CREDIT
this guy didn't... oh well.. idk.. i'm chill.. i kinda like the song actually.. :|
Posted on: 2010/3/3 22:56
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Male/25/NJ
We don't know if this guy gave her credit or not. It could be in the booklet of his album. (A point someone else brought out I think in the comments of the video, as well.) A lot of times credit goes without ever being said in the open.

Like if people didn't know about slick rick...they wouldn't know that a lot of music spawned from his own. Give it time...I'm sure the truth will come out. Also...you can actually sample up to a certain amount of a song without needing permission. (15 seconds, I believe) Artists/Producers do it quite a bit, xD.

I seriously think this is being blown out of proportion. *shrugs* Utada is a smart woman. I'm sure she wouldn't let something like that just go if it wasn't being dealt with. Maybe she just doesn't care. Most people don't...until the song becomes a hit.
Posted on: 2010/3/3 23:15
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
WOW, no offense, but all the people who are freaking out about this are being huge idiots. I am honestly disgusted by this. First off, I don't even like Rap all that much, but I don't go around bashing it just because a rapper sampled another song.

Hikki has done it too! Not only FYI as others pointed out, but also Exodus 04. The beat in that was sampled from a song by an Arab singer. So it's okay for Hikki to sample a song but not for someone else to sample her? GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES PEOPLE.

Once again, I am really disgusted by all the "fans" behavior and feel really sad for this guy who's video is getting hammered by a bunch of idiotic blind "fans." You all should be happy that another singer sampled from her, and yet you attack him? Stop blowing this out of proportion!

EDIT: Also, no offense, but it really is sad that a moderator of these forums was the one who posted this accusing this guy of stealing the song. Swallowtail, I suggest you think before you start a thread accusing this man of stealing from Utada. your a mod, you have to set a good example to other members.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 0:30
  •  JudgeJamster
      JudgeJamster
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18 / M / Salem, Oregon
Quote:

bhive619 wrote:
haha! XD ang kulet!

yes, Utada samples songs but she gives them CREDIT
this guy didn't... oh well.. idk.. i'm chill.. i kinda like the song actually.. :|

How do you know he didn't give her credit? Utada didn't give credit to that Arab singer in the title for Exodus 04, but did people attack her for that? You don't even have the freaking booklet!
Posted on: 2010/3/4 0:32
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
I have lots of sympathy for Devlin even if I don?t care for his music, it would not surprise me if Devlin has little knowledge of Hikaru Utada or had total control over the production of ?London City?.

Devlin is trying his upmost to make a name for himself coming from area of London known for its sprawling council estates over 47000 live in these concrete hell holes where around six in ten children are living in appalling levels poverty, the office of national statistics has the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham having one of the highest number of children in families where neither parent works in England, the Gascoigne Ward was the worst in the borough where 54% of the children were of families where neither parent worked, the borough also accounts for the highest number of low income families in a ?specific area? in conjunction with the highest number of households claiming the maximum amount in working tax credits.

It defies belief that London supposedly one of the riches cities in the world has a borough that has such levels of poor education, deteriorating health profiles and continuing problems in youth crime, all have been identified as contributing factors to the high levels of deprivation in the borough. Against this back drop Devlin has worked hard to attain a level of success where many have fallen to crime and gang culture...he may be guilty of murdering one of Hikki songs but that is a matter of taste, whether Hikki would begrudge him sampling Passion not on your chinny-chin-chin, I think she would be fully supportive of his "plundering" if that is a fair assumption.......

I don?t think Swallowtail used the term ?steal?....?ruin? ...

I have been fortunate enough to have had an excellent education, and have been lucky enough to have been born into a wealthy family with connections that have enabled me an intro into a top accounting school, Devlin was not so fortunate but has got his head down and struggled and grafted a career that takes few prisoners, and is brutally unforgiving....wish him the best...I suspect Utada would be one of the first too...
Posted on: 2010/3/4 3:00
  •  pompon
      pompon
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L F/23/Warsaw,Poland
I saw the video, and I can't agree with the title of this thread. He (or should I say the producer) sampled and autotuned one or two lines from Hikki, it's not a big deal;) It's just a tune, words aren't understandable so I can't say he ruined the song, look and the remix of Dirty Desire with the whole moaning and stuff. That ruined the song and was signed with Hikki's name...
Many people in youtube comments got interested in the sample so they liked the London City song more and might get to know Utada because of that. It's a win win situation for both artists, really.
As for the song itself, I can't say I feel connected to the lyrics but I always find rappers with british accent cool (forgive my lameness )
Posted on: 2010/3/4 7:10
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

LL_Rain wrote:
We don't know if this guy gave her credit or not. It could be in the booklet of his album. (A point someone else brought out I think in the comments of the video, as well.) A lot of times credit goes without ever being said in the open.

Like if people didn't know about slick rick...they wouldn't know that a lot of music spawned from his own. Give it time...I'm sure the truth will come out. Also...you can actually sample up to a certain amount of a song without needing permission. (15 seconds, I believe) Artists/Producers do it quite a bit, xD.

I seriously think this is being blown out of proportion. *shrugs* Utada is a smart woman. I'm sure she wouldn't let something like that just go if it wasn't being dealt with. Maybe she just doesn't care. Most people don't...until the song becomes a hit.

I'm kinda mad that this thread has even grown this big too.I'm sure Hikaru isn't so money hungry to hound out a fellow artist for sampling a verse of song she did 5 years ago.She has already cashed both those checks.

It's not that big a deal.Utada didn't lose her house or her world record of 2000.Some of you should read your posts again.

"Doritos are thieves because they have powder cheese on their nachos!The real tortillas are better because the cheese is separate!!"

Does that mean they can't coexist even though Doritos is another form of tortilla chip?

Does that mean that it "stole" the core concept of the nacho?

No.It just built upon.

Quote:

ikurst wrote:
Quote:

Kumachang wrote:
why did he have to pick an Hikki song in the first place?

Exactly. XD

Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:
Whoever this wanker is that bastardized my baby's song should be put to death.

I don't mind people sampling Hikki's music but don't put a craptastic rap over it.

*sigh*

I hope you cry when this thread is closed :/ or at least when you realize that we all are right.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 17:52
  •  SwallowTail
      SwallowTail
A/S/L ∞ / M / Indonesia
Okay i made a mistake about the thread "Title" and i edit it. Please read the first thread, have i accused him stole Utada song. I only wrote
Quote:
listen to the BGM it was similar Passion by Utada

Thank you

PS :
#1 Avoid personal attacks. If you don't agree with what someone posted, debate the post... not the person that posted it.

#3 Try your hardest to post in the appropriate forum. Don't be upset if we move your post to a more approriate forum. If we happen to move a post, don't publically throw a tantrum concerning it.
If you have any complaints, please express your concerns with the moderators through the Private Messaging system or through email, do not drag it out into the public. All complaints MUST be made privately and not publicly on the boards. If a complaint is made publicly, this will result in your complaint being deleted and disregarded.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 18:38
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

SwallowTail wrote:
Okay i made a mistake about the thread "Title" and i edit it. Please read the first thread, have i accused him stole Utada song. I only wrote
Quote:
listen to the BGM it was similar Passion by Utada

Thank you

PS :
#1 Avoid personal attacks. If you don't agree with what someone posted, debate the post... not the person that posted it.

#3 Try your hardest to post in the appropriate forum. Don't be upset if we move your post to a more approriate forum. If we happen to move a post, don't publically throw a tantrum concerning it.
If you have any complaints, please express your concerns with the moderators through the Private Messaging system or through email, do not drag it out into the public. All complaints MUST be made privately and not publicly on the boards. If a complaint is made publicly, this will result in your complaint being deleted and disregarded.

sorry.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:07
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123456>