•  Polyrhythm
      Polyrhythm
Re: Utada The Fillmore at Irving Plaza review - Aquarian Weekly
UN Reporter
A/S/L 17/M/Southern California
My comments (DEEP RIVER @ AHS) that I posted on Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai Forum:

Quote:
-Article from The Aquarian

[url]http://www.theaquarian.com/2010/03/03/utada-the-fillmore-at-irving-plaza/[/url]

A few comments from myself...first off, it bothers me a bit that the article lacks any literary style in a dead, i-write-because-it's-my-job sort of a way....but I guess it's just my opinion. If I were writing about Utada I suppose I would be more emotional. Anyway...
It kinda offended me. I mean aren't you offended? This author, she presents her personal opinions in as if they were facts calling Hikki's Japanese works far superior to her English works (which although I agree with, should not be said with such certainty)...commenting on Hikki's embarrasing (which again, some are) and such....breathing problems....pre recorded vocals? I dunno which concert Ms. Goldenberg attended but I don't think it was Utada In The Flesh....Ok....the concert was half-baked? No merchandise....uh....ever been to an intimate show? The show lacked cohesion....where'd you get that from? English songs. Japanese songs. English Songs. Japanese songs. It's honestly not that hard to comprehend. I also didn't like how she skewed comments from fans to make her article seem valid. However, all that is really just opinion.
What makes me MOST angry is her retarded interpretation of the MC's. Paraphrasing, "lyke omgosh, utada stood on da stage and said she had nothing to say and forgot and crap. and then she made some weird jokes about Whole Foods"...yeah that's what she basically said in a nutshell. Hikki had nothing to say because she was "completely happy" to be in her home town and that was one of the touching moments of the whole MC. She joked about the Whole Foods situation because she was honestly surprised and happy at how many people of so many different racial backgrounds went to see her show and how she felt normal and accepted amongst such a crowd (having come from a similar HS b.g). So who has a social understanding issue here? Hikki because she couldn't say anything and made "weird jokes" or this Goldenberg person who's only goal in writing this article was clearly to earn a paycheck? You tell me.

What a load of bull shit.

Signature made by me (DEEP RIVER from AHS Forum)
Graphics Shop
Posted on: 2010/3/4 14:28
  •  AXMA47
      AXMA47
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 21/M/HI
I felt the author had lack of experience for what Hikki was offering. Hikki was offering a very intimate concert not some entertainment show where theres booty poping and go go dancing.. it seemed like she was expecting a britney spears concert..everyone was there for the music. One thing that seemed to piss me off was the quote from a fan the writer used ?I feel insulted that they don?t cater to us?they cater to a general, nameless people,? says Chris Harris, a fan who had waited in line since 2 a.m. I felt the writer used it out of context and it could mean a lot of things well maybe I dont understand that part but correct me if am wrong. Am kinda dumbfounded how the writer even went to her concert I mean what was she expecting?
Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:02
  •  山本_passion
      山本_passion
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 15.
wow...these comments on the article are really harsh.
I dont really agree with everything the author says either but people can have opinions on utada and it doesnt matter if they are good or bad its their opinion. U guys are kind of acting..mean because we all love utada(cus shes awesome) but it doesnt meant that her concert was "absolutely perfect" i mean there were a few flaws nothings perfect. the writer is just saying her own opinion on it its a review for gods sake!!! shes not saying it as a fact its just a summary of their opinion on it. But i dont agree with the mixes being "horrible" i thought they were really awesome. and I thought that her MC's were so much more intimate and that made it that much more awesome. And I also think her voice was really good. But i agree with the author i really wish she had sung more japanese songs as almost all the people there were there to hear her famous japanese releases including me..though it was a TiTO tour. But that's just my opinion.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:05
  •  ItsDaveyJ
      ItsDaveyJ
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 19/m/ny
Well there are always going to be people who are unhappy. Unfortunately, this person was in a position to write an article that really was more critical than it needed to be. I'm not saying Utada is perfect, there is always room for improvement but I dunno, it seems like this author was a sensationalist who picked a side to be on and ran 100% full force with it rather than being a neutral observer.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:17
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
Hikki wanted to perform for her fans. I know I had the best night of my life and this was truly a dream come true. And I'm sure it was for many other Hikki fans out there. I know a lot of people have been waiting forever for this to happen. This, I think would've been what she wanted the most out of this tour. Im sure she was more than satisfied with the results and it was also a dream of hers to perform a small livehouses. This concert was very intimate, something personal for each and every one. It wasn't heading in the direction of making her name big and known to the U.S. and U.K. but more so of answering the requests of her fans out here.

This tour was mainly focused on TITO but I think it had a wonderful mixture of both her Japanese and English songs. "The concert felt half-baked, lacking even a merchandise table"??? I honestly think there is no need for a merchandise table at a concert. Sure it would've been nice to have a t-shirt or something but a merchandise stand would have caused a bit of a chaos & it could've resulted in an even later appearance of Hikki. It was pretty obvious that Hikki wasn't focused on selling herself/her stuff.

The mixes were awesome! I don't know what this lady is talking about. I think most, if not all the songs sounded so much better live. I agree there were a few times the band was loud that you couldn't hear Hikki's vocals, but the sounds were adjusted immediately (at least at the Hawaii show).

I don't think Hikki was unsure of handling a smaller concert. If this lady's talking about how she was acting or whatever, thats Hikki's personality. Does anyone know what I mean? Hikki has a very unique personality which may seem awkward (I mean in a good way) at first. Oh I don't know exactly how to explain it... But this personality of hers is what I love so much about her. She did seem nervous at first... but seemed to be having so much fun! She may have rambled about not knowing what to say but at least she was being honest and true with her feelings/thoughts. Not making up some bull crap.

Lastly, "Utada has dismissed Exodus as a misstep, so only four songs made it to ?In The Flesh"... She does not appreciate new & different but truly amazing music. Exodus contains a lot of good songs, I just wish it got more credit. She even said it includes "embarrassing posturing lyrics". Hikki's lyrics aren't embarrassing at all! Have she ever listened to some of the "mainstream" stuff they have on repeat on t.v. and the radio??? She didn't mention anything from TITO or the piano performances by Hikki. When you write a review, you're should write both the pros and cons, not just lean to one side. Even if she had only negative things to say, she could've added some positive things to it. Like it has been mentioned here before, a neutral view at this concert...

I could go on forever about this... but I'm stopping here.
Posted on: 2010/3/4 23:34
  •  Pips_Paradise
      Pips_Paradise
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 18/F/London
For goodness sake this wooden eared hack is The Aquarian weekly village idiot, you are giving Victoria ?loadofbollocks? attention she does not deserve,

Vic-rub is a freelance nobody who has produced her first spoiler ....after all that is what this rancid piece of poo poo is , vile Victoria nasty little toxic titter is using Utada for target practice.

http://twitter.com/vgoldenberg ......

Victoria?s twitter ..........there is a photo of Vicious Victoria to pin up and throw darts at...
Posted on: 2010/3/5 2:23
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:

I hope people flood the comments with negative feedback to the review.

It's not harsh, the comments are open to anyone who would like to express an opinion about the review or author, this is America and we are entitled to our opinion too.
Anyways we have a right as fans of Hikki to defend her from this onslaught of unwarranted bad press. Hikki put her heart and soul into this tour just for us, the least we can do is show her some love by not letting some self important hack of a writer get away with printing this garbage.

Screw this b!tch! turnabout is fairplay.
Posted on: 2010/3/5 6:04
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Well done Pips! Let us all print her photo out and throw darts at it or perhaps splatter some red paint on it!

Was just kidding, seriously, don't waste time on that lady. Very true that selling of merchandises wasn't really necessary. I'm sure most merchandises would be sold out if they really had one but if there wasn't one then it's fine right? I mean, the management isn't even that interested in making big bucks from that. Good point about the autographed balls. I nearly forgotten about that. She actually designed them herself and I find the balls really nice especially the gay rights one (lol), how can the reviewer claim that it wasn't intimate/personal enough? I find it funny. Perhaps she's not good at picking up all these things, let's all TRY to forgive her.
Posted on: 2010/3/5 7:21
  •  pompon
      pompon
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L F/23/Warsaw,Poland
Quote:

山本_passion wrote:
I dont really agree with everything the author says either but people can have opinions on utada and it doesnt matter if they are good or bad its their opinion.
That's true for a personal opinion. When you write it in your blog you can say whatever you want but when you write for a magazine you need to be objective. The girl twisted around the tour atmosphere.
True that people wanted hear their favorite japanese songs, they speculated about how the track-list should be before the tour started. I remember that when the real track-list started to showing up on tweeter I was like "CYCAS:( I don't like that song that much, what about *long list of favorites*" But I dare to say that in the moment one's foot stepped inside the club it didn't matter at all. I didn't feel anybody on the show was disappointed with songs presented.
And finally yes, author has hers opinion, and she presented it in a harsh way. And now fans and people who have seen the thing live post theirs. Posts like "get dead" are on 11yo level so they can be overlooked easily as trolling but... it's a word agains a word, opinion against opinion. She wasn't diplomatic in her review so there's no need for us to be easy on her.
Posted on: 2010/3/5 7:32
A/S/L 20 / F / Manila, Philippines
The writer is just plain bias. Well for a fact, Hikki's been suffering from her vocals in years now. But that doesn't make her awful. And her music isn't awful! Hikki is the most creative artist alive. She always apply all of herself into her music. However, as I can see, Hikki's music isn't a music that would move everyone's heart the first time you hear it. Hikki jumps genre to genre but you could always feel her heart's presence on each song. It's for most people who has an artistic views on music. I love Hikki because she doesn't go with the flow of what's in on our generation today. But she wanted her music to have a piece of her identity that will remain to our minds.

Utada Hikaru made my day on October 24, 2010 at exactly 6pm (Philippine time)
Posted on: 2010/3/10 23:23
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<123>