Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  meekobiscuit
      meekobiscuit
Alice in Wonderland - Tim Burton
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L 35/M/L.A.
Who saw it and what did you think? I loved it!
Posted on: 2010/3/9 0:50
  •  a_kikoo
      a_kikoo
Re: Alice in Wonderland - Tim Burton
UN Reporter
A/S/L 26/F
I want to watch it but my husband doesn't want to. He thinks it looks freaky lol.
Posted on: 2010/3/9 8:48
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
I like Tim Burton's work in general, but I didn't like his interpretation of Alice in Wonderland. What I disliked the most was the dichotomy between the white and red queen. The white queen claims to not harm a living thing(typical white symbolizes peace) yet is perfectly content in throwing fingers into a "witches brew." The red queen actually questions whether it's better to be loved or feared. Later she obviously chooses the latter, but that kind of questioning shows an element of humility. To me it's difficult to determine what direction he was trying to go. If you look at character flaws both the white and red queen shouldn't rule Wonderland.

What I did like about the movie was Alice's character. Turning her into a Valkyrie while having a cynical sense of humor was surprisingly believable and funny. My favorite line from the movie is when her want-to-be mother-in-law asks Alice what she(mother-in-law) fears the most. Alice says, "The fall of the aristocracy?" She replies, "Ugly grandchildren."

Overall, I find the message diluted and ambiguous. I thought the message was " Be yourself. Don't let societal norms and expectations force you to conform." Yet Alice conforms to expectations in Wonderland. Personally I think Tim Burton "held back" because he didn't want to make a movie kids couldn't see and Alice in Wonderland has plenty of subtext that's considered inappropriate for kids. He tried to make it too general.
Posted on: 2010/3/9 12:05
  •  Unregistered
      Unregistered
guest_Unregistered
I thought it was a good movie.
Posted on: 2010/3/9 13:40
  •  IceAngel
      IceAngel
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 23/Female/UK
I didnt mind the movie, it wasnt terrible, but it didnt leave me wanting to preorder the dvd either. I did feel that Tim Burton held back also in this film. I mean, yeah it did have its dark nature and the occasional grim moment, understandibly because it had to appeal to a younger audience and such but... I dunno, something was missing. All I know is, I just felt Tim Burton held back.

Obviously the amount of CG effects in this film made some of the sizing of features in characters seem off scale and I felt they slipped a little but if I didnt focus on that it was watchable lol. I didnt see this film in 3D so maybe that may not have been too noticable to many people anyways.

I agree with most of what Salomonis says, particularly in the 'Be Yourself' message. It would have seemed more appropriate to let the Hatter do the job... ok maybe not, but you see what I mean, I hope.

I did like the cast in the film :). The one thing that bugged me was Anne Hathaways eyebrows but I wont dwell on that either lol.

I wouldnt say dont see it. I mean I thought it was a good film and I think I'm just nit picking. Sorry everyone. But there was that something missing that I feel made it just an average release, considering all the hype.
Posted on: 2010/3/9 15:53
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Salomonis wrote:
I like Tim Burton's work in general, but I didn't like his interpretation of Alice in Wonderland. What I disliked the most was the dichotomy between the white and red queen. The white queen claims to not harm a living thing(typical white symbolizes peace) yet is perfectly content in throwing fingers into a "witches brew." The red queen actually questions whether it's better to be loved or feared. Later she obviously chooses the latter, but that kind of questioning shows an element of humility. To me it's difficult to determine what direction he was trying to go. If you look at character flaws both the white and red queen shouldn't rule Wonderland.

What I did like about the movie was Alice's character. Turning her into a Valkyrie while having a cynical sense of humor was surprisingly believable and funny. My favorite line from the movie is when her want-to-be mother-in-law asks Alice what she(mother-in-law) fears the most. Alice says, "The fall of the aristocracy?" She replies, "Ugly grandchildren."

Overall, I find the message diluted and ambiguous. I thought the message was " Be yourself. Don't let societal norms and expectations force you to conform." Yet Alice conforms to expectations in Wonderland. Personally I think Tim Burton "held back" because he didn't want to make a movie kids couldn't see and Alice in Wonderland has plenty of subtext that's considered inappropriate for kids. He tried to make it too general.

I didn't see it yet but did he use the jabberwacki poem?And I didn't know that Disney was the distributor til recently.What can you do :/
Posted on: 2010/3/9 17:58
  •  Salomonis
      Salomonis
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 2777/M/Tennessee
I think part of the jabberwocky poem. Frabjousday is an essential part of the plot. I can't recall a scene where the entire thing was quoted. Maybe a section of it occasionally in different scenes.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
This part sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. I haven't read "Through the Looking Glass" so I wasn't trying to find it in the movie. If I didn't know the movie was made by Tim Burton, I might have enjoyed it more, but I expected more.

On the flipside. I didn't think I'd like Sherlock Holmes, but loved it and found out Guy Ritchie(one of my favorite directors) directed it after seeing it. Had I known Guy Ritchie directed it before watching it, I might have been more critical. History sometimes affects my judgment.

If Tim Burton was a noname it might be considered a good movie, but I think it's average at best considering Tim Burton's other works.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 13:25
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Now he's going to do Sleeping Beauty. Angelina Joilie is rumored to play Malificent! So excited!
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/4/13 20:21
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Jiremi wrote:
Now he's going to do Sleeping Beauty. Angelina Joilie is rumored to play Malificent! So excited!

They doing a Live action of the disney adaption right?because....If there is no rape in an original story adaption,I'd feel robbed.
Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic