<1234>
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  ramenbox
      ramenbox
Re: What do you think Microphone Means
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 19/F/Malaysia
Interesting, I never thought of it this way. I've always perceived it from the pov that she's now singing in another english for different audience, like what meekobiscuit claimed but after reading this thread, it is indeed a double entendre.
Posted on: 2010/3/13 8:53
  •  Losteyes
      Losteyes
UtadaNet Newbie
A/S/L 18.F.MO
It might be a double meaning. But both songs are good =] If you over anaylize them, they lose their awesomeness ^_^
Posted on: 2010/5/10 12:28
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
I don't think Utada likes Easy Breezy, because she hasn't sung it ever since she recorded it. She must be wishing it would go away, because it's crap. It sucks because she debuted in the US with that song, and it really wasn't that good.

Exodus - Life during marriage
TITO - Life after marriage

She really needs to stop making songs about deep dark stories in her personal life.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 19:42
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
I don't think Utada likes Easy Breezy, because she hasn't sung it ever since she recorded it. She must be wishing it would go away, because it's crap. It sucks because she debuted in the US with that song, and it really wasn't that good.

She really needs to stop making songs about deep dark stories in her personal life.

HEART STATION is what you would define as "life after marriage". It had "I still love you" written all over it.
Easy Breezy recieved more play than anything on TITO, so there's probably no regret. There's plenty-a-songs she hasn't performed live. Many of them her Japanese songs. HEART STATION is the only CD that she has performed EVERY song from.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/5/10 19:56
  •  LoBFCanti
      LoBFCanti
Insane Hikki Fan
A/S/L 20/M/Brooklyn,NY
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:

Her having perspective on a subject due to personal experience should be the fuel to any song she'd write involving a similar scenario.But it's not like she has actually revealed something so shocking in any of her songs for anyone to say that she's being to open.Eazy Breezy has been performed since it was recorded,but I don't think she's quite satisfied with Exodus as a whole.The representation of that album as being influenced by her marriage is inaccurate...because YMMWTBAM and About Me are the only songs on it that can account for that.TiTO didn't even feel like her and HEART STATION bared the feel of "Love is work" better than TiTO does anyways.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:15
  •  Kumabear
      Kumabear
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L Manila , Philippines
She did say in an interview that when she recorded the song she bought and used a new microphone. And she thought that it would be cool to include that line in the song . On another side , it's somewhat a double meaning.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:25
  •  Ultra_Red
      Ultra_Red
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L
90% of Utada's songs are about sex and infidelity.

Face it, Hikki is a closet nymphomaniac and serial cheater.
On a TV show ( Shin domoto?)she said she likes to take pictures of her lovers after she has exhausted them in bed. LMAO

The song devil inside sums her up quite nicely.
"You're too busy reading labels, you're missing all the action underneath my table"

Her next English album should be titled Sex Machine.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 8:41
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 18/GQ?/CA
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:

On a TV show ( Shin domoto?)she said she likes to take pictures of her lovers after she has exhausted them in bed. LMAO

"You're too busy reading labels, you're missing all the action underneath my table"

While I recognize that you probably aren't criticizing her, I feel compelled to counter some of the harsher terminology used here for the sake of my own comfort; the word "nymphomaniac" is particularly disconcerting since it's an archaic term used to describe women who were perceived as being "too sexual" in a society where proper female sexual expression was basically non-existent. Compared to most pop music worldwide, Hikki's is rather saintly in content. As for being a "serial cheater," I like to think that she just has a hard time being monogamous; it isn't for everyone. I think it's also important to note that her Japanese music is absent much of the sexual innuendo of her English-language works, so saying that "90%" of her music is sexual is categorically inaccurate- 90% of her English music is, but I would posit that that's a representation of her unflinching honesty. Straight out from "First Love," Hikki has always written lyrics which inadvertently arouse conflict despite being completely appropriate contextually, sexual or not. I think with the image she's built of herself in Japan, however, she probably finds it simpler to come to America and sing about things that wouldn't mesh with her Japanese persona rather than fighting that construct directly; it's sort of a cop out, but not many singers have that advantage and if it works for her it works for me. (Again, I want to reassure you I'm not outright disagreeing with you, just expanding on your thoughts with my own).

Quote:

meekobiscuit wrote:

Also, someone mentioned the fact that she bought a new microphone, literally. I don't know if I believe what she says. I think she acts coy about some things, but she does it for the benefit of her Japanese fans because they might get offended by her overtly sexual references. That's just my thinking.

I would agree with you except that songs like "Tippy Toe" and "Dirty Desire" don't exactly strike me as aiming for tact, if you know what I mean. I do think historically that Hikki has shown herself as being more comfortable speaking through her music than on television or radio, however- she's at home in the studio and she doesn't get a lot of the fuss of the fandom.

And on that note, in regard to the original question, I believe that Hikki wrote and recorded the "microphone" part of "Easy Breezy" for the exact reason she stated- because she got a new microphone. What I think she didn't say was that it happened to coincide perfectly with the context of the song and would work as a fantastic double/triple/quadruple entendre (and to anybody who doesn't think she's capable of this kind of pun scheme, I give you "You Make Me Want to Be a Man"). Artistically, I think her referencing the microphone again in "Automatic Part II," in a similar manner, is indicative of yet another correlation she's trying to draw between Utada and Hikaru Utada- same person, different outlets. The meaning of the word "microphone" is doubtlessly sexual, but it's also relatable to her as a singer and a musician, which plays right into her multiple performer syndrome; as Utada she is playful, sexual, quirky; as Hikaru Utada she is experimental, romantic, unique. One might sound more polished or appealing than the other, but in reality they're two sides of the exact same coin, and you can't have one without the other. :3
Posted on: 2010/5/11 14:32
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:

1. Yup, English songs for the most part.
2. Ok seriously, where did you see that? I think that cheating stuff is a joke, it's just she had so many friends that were guys. I don't think it has gone that far, but it just confuses me on how people like her for that. She like some Tiger Woods or smtn?
3. I guess that song could be interpreted so many ways.
4. I'd have to stop being a fan of Utada if that were true. I'd be so disappointed because it's like a bunch of the other crap nowadays. We have so many songs about sex, and I don't think we want to see a great and unique artist being like everybody else. Exodus and TITO weren't that great, so I'll just give her another chance because she is just starting in the US. If she keeps releasing this kind of music, than I don't know what to say.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 16:15
  •  Jiremi
      Jiremi
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L "I can't wait to see you in the FuTuTuRe - Utada~"
Quote:

Dark_Armed_Dragon wrote:
Quote:

Ultra_Red wrote:

1. Yup, English songs for the most part.
2. Ok seriously, where did you see that? I think that cheating stuff is a joke, it's just she had so many friends that were guys. I don't think it has gone that far, but it just confuses me on how people like her for that. She like some Tiger Woods or smtn?
3. I guess that song could be interpreted so many ways.
4. I'd have to stop being a fan of Utada if that were true. I'd be so disappointed because it's like a bunch of the other crap nowadays. We have so many songs about sex, and I don't think we want to see a great and unique artist being like everybody else. Exodus and TITO weren't that great, so I'll just give her another chance because she is just starting in the US. If she keeps releasing this kind of music, than I don't know what to say.

2. It's not a joke. Utada has said it in several English interviews and I believe I read somewhere she has clamed so in a Japanese one, too. If it wasn't true, she would go around saying so many times, it'd be annoying and repetitive, though, many of her answers to her interviews seem to never change. She also has stated in one interview that "Come Back To Me" from the view of things she's seen done to/by her friends but alos herself. Face it, she cheats. But who cares? She's not cheating on us (the fans). And the whole Tiger Woods comparison...that's lame. Just because these people are famous for what they do, not who they are, doesn't mean they don't face the same problems of life as everyone else. I don't know if people like her because of cheating. I highly doubt it. I thought it was the music. But, it does help people relate to what she is writing.

4.Don't say anything then.
On Sunday, October 17, at 7:53 PM, Utada Hikaru replied to me on Twitter! ♥
Posted on: 2010/5/11 18:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
<1234>